• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

...at once. Ring of fire.

How far away do they need to stand for the launch?

Not sure I'd want to do a ring of fire. Maybe more of a semi-circle of fire leaving the down-wind direction open. I would not someone to get hit by this thing coming down under chute. Even with a larger chute it'll still be coming down at around 5-15 FPS which will definitely leave a mark if it hits someone. The Tripoli Safety Code states that for a motor of this size the minimum distance for spectators is 100'. However, most launches the launch director may want to set it further back because its such an odd shape. At this launch they had me set it on the pads that were ~300' back.

This thing has been so well received both here and at this launch that I think I am going to completely rebuild it from top to bottom. Starting with a fiberglass center tube and possibly make it so disassembles for easier transport. This thing is a royal PITA to fit in a car or even a SUV. Also need to figure out a way to make the basket section more rugged so it doesn't pop off like it did yesterday. Everything on it is kinda janky and delicate. The rear plywood plate is starting to delaminate. I need something that is going to stand up to more launches. Heck...I might even paint it.

Starting with a fiberglass center tube and possibly make it so disassembles for easier transport.

Would an aluminum center tube be better? I was thinking like what is used for a swimming pool brush pole. Light, thin, cheap, easy to drill. And it won't catch fire, well not as easy as fiberglass. :)

Aluminum would be great however Tripoli does not allow for metal parts that are significant parts of the structure so it has to be paper, phenolic, fiberglass or carbon fiber. Good suggestion though

Aluminum would be great however Tripoli does not allow for metal parts that are significant parts of the structure so it has to be paper, phenolic, fiberglass or carbon fiber. Good suggestion though

Did you look at 3d printed parts?

Did you look at 3d printed parts?

3d printed parts are great for non-structurally critical applications. They work well for lower stress environments like the smaller model rockets and some folks print off fin cans. If the rocket isn't too big or isn't going to go super sonic (that mach transition is a real b1tch) then its usually ok. Not sure if there would be a beneficial application for the basket though. However, if there is something that can be 3d printed I will probably be making use of that process.

Yeah, is the footage from that drone available to you? That probably got some nifty shots.

Yeah that drone has been out there all day every day and I have been meaning to ask whose that is. Tomorrow is the last day I am going to be at LDRS so I'll try to remember to find out whose it is.

-Dave

Well the launch video was awesome.......... hoping you get a more complete video from others.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Obviously doesn't show everything but I am sure grateful for having video of the chute coming out. I think there might be a few other videos coming my way. We'll see.

There's a pro photog out there who got some fantastic shots of the flight and I am going to see if she'll make a collage for me.

Do you get extra points for landing right behind your launch pad? I can't tell how far beyond the pad it landed, but for straight up and down accuracy, you must be Top of Class!!! :thmbup:

Do you get extra points for landing right behind your launch pad? I can't tell how far beyond the pad it landed, but for straight up and down accuracy, you must be Top of Class!!! :thmbup:

Haha. Yeah that speaks more to how calm the winds were Friday. There were oodles of flights that went thousands of feet up and were landing relatively close as well.

Betcha it beats his c1 putting accuracy....LOL

All jokes aside Dave... this was AWESOME!!!!!!

You've seen me play? When?

:D