• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

Dry fit time! Crucial step prior to even dreaming of putting any glue on the project. Things seem to fit together even though its a little off here and there but I think I can get it all snugged up ok. Next is to wet sand all those CF ends to make them more glue-able.

Prolly not the ideal background.

What would be a better one then?

Oh I think the issue is I have it on black colored cardboard. Yeah, it's a little hard to see the frame.

Gotta admit, I've been envisioning this part of the rocket for a long time and trying to imagine what it will finally look like so it's a little odd and kinda cool to finally see it all start to come together. I've been cutting CF tubes for a while now.

Better than it was before.
Better. Stronger. Faster

Don't forget lighter - hopefully.

Oh, it'll be hecka stronger for sure. Faster? Ehhhh not so much. Hopefully MUCH slower on the descent. ;) The chute cannon on top is going to be longer and wider to accommodate a larger chute. My aim is to get it to around 5-10 FPS or lower. I want people to actually have a chance at hitting it with a disc on the way down.

I still don't think anyone will ever be able to hit it with a disc but it'll be fun to try.

So more progress...This is the upper spoke assembly. The little fiberglass tube is where the electronics will live inside of a happy little coupler. This will make more sense as more progress is made. The one photo is pre epoxy. The other is post epoxy. Lawdy am I a slob lol.

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 15
Lots more gluing done last night. So a preliminary dry-fit and weigh-in. Looking good so far but it's heavier than I anticipated. The original was almost 6 lbs. This is currently sitting at almost the same weight but there's no motor, chute, chute cannon or electronics. I predict 8-9 lbs total weight. So now that I have an idea what the weight is going to be I need to order the chute.

I'm gonna need a bigger motor. :|

-Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 21
Just in case anyone wants to nerd rocket out with me...

And looking over my stock of motor cases and what is available on the market I think I have settled on a Loki Research I377 for this new version. Gives a little more thrust/weight which for this iteration is not a bad thing. The I140 I was using on the previous version barely fit into the I categorization. The I377 is on the upper range of I motors and it delivers 515 NS thrust rather than the 336 NS of thrust the I140 has.

Dang stupid 5 minute edit window...forgot to add - my current goal is to make it to Indiana Rocketry's first launch of the season on 11/10 near Tab, IN. So if you are anywhere near there and want to come watch keep an eye on this thread. That place is literally in the middle of NOWHERE. I'll also have a contingent from the Notre Dame Rocketry Team I work with there as well so you'll get to see some of their work for this year. They'll just be flying their itty-bitty subscale they've designed for this year's NASA SLI competition. Plus there will likely be other rockets flying there as well.

For some reason I see your reaction to needing a bigger motor more like this...

Weeeeeellll...Kinda. Thing is, this launch in Tab will not have a rocket motor vendor attending so I have order motors and have them shipped which adds a fair bit of $$ to the cost. Plus that I140 was soooooo perfect for the old version finding another that's as well suited for this new version is a bit of a PITA and makes me a bit needlessly nervous.

Doesn't really matter one way or another I'm going to have to order a motor no matter what because I don't have anything in stock that will work for the FBD&D.

More progress tonight. Lots of RocketPoxy used - again. The lower basket assembly is now basically finished. The stopper plate on the main tube is glued in place. Now let it all sit overnight to cure. The stopper plate is what the lower basket will rest on during flight.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 28
So I've started a process I knew was coming at some point. It's pretty obvious that FBD&D v. 3.0 is not flying again. There are parts that are useful to other project and in particular for b. 4.0. So the scavenging has begun. The useful bits have been stripped off and now this poor thing.needs to be tossed. It just looks so...sad. This is going to have to be like taking off a band aide - do it quickly. Just stuff it in the trash can and quickly walk the van out to the end of the drive on trash day.

Sigh

Attachments

• B5E34730-2FBD-44CA-B235-E9EEB811A227.jpg
    B5E34730-2FBD-44CA-B235-E9EEB811A227.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 26
So I've started a process I knew was coming at some point. It's pretty obvious that FBD&D v. 3.0 is not flying again. There are parts that are useful to other project and in particular for b. 4.0. So the scavenging has begun. The useful bits have been stripped off and now this poor thing.needs to be tossed. It just looks so...sad. This is going to have to be like taking off a band aide - do it quickly. Just stuff it in the trash can and quickly walk the van out to the end of the drive on trash day.

Sigh

You could turn it into a decoration, and give it away at a tourney. Better than just throwing it away IMO.

Tell you what...If someone claims it between now and tomorrow morning who is willing to p/u from my house I'll hang on to it for a week or two. Otherwise it's hasta la vista baby.

So important testing last night. In the first picture is my set up to test the stresses on the lower basket stopper plate. Loaded up 2 buckets with a little over 5 gallons total between the 2 of them and put them in the basket. In the second picture you see the stopper plate glued to the green center tube and I just want to make sure it's going to hold up to to the flight stresses of the lower basket assembly resting on it. So the average thrust is going to be around 10:1 or roughly 10g's of force for 1.4 seconds. This part of the basket weighs in at 52 or so ounces so ten times that is 520 ounces or 32.5 lbs and since water is 8.33 lbs/gallon thats about 3.9 gallons. The two buckets were placed like this for a little over 4 seconds and nothing happened - thank goodness. So now I know this needs no extra reinforcement and anything I do from this point to that plate is just bonus strength.

The last picture is what $50 of propellant looks like and FINALLY some prints I ordered from LDRS came in the mail. Yay!

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts