• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

So here it is...Not one pro has responded beyond what I've posted above and frankly I don't really care too much. The next launch is going to be 12/14 near Three Oaks, MI. Come on by, throw some plastic at it. But be aware that this hobby is VERY weather dependent and I will likely not be making a decision on what time I will be flying it until the day before so please consider that if you plan on attending. It's a Michiana Rocketry launch so the FBD&D will not be the only thing launching. It's free to spectate and the launch will be from 10am to 4pm. I've invited my disc golf club so hopefully there will be a number of dg'ers out there to join in the fun.

So here it is...Not one pro has responded beyond what I've posted above and frankly I don't really care too much. The next launch is going to be 12/14 near Three Oaks, MI. Come on by, throw some plastic at it. But be aware that this hobby is VERY weather dependent and I will likely not be making a decision on what time I will be flying it until the day before so please consider that if you plan on attending. It's a Michiana Rocketry launch so the FBD&D will not be the only thing launching. It's free to spectate and the launch will be from 10am to 4pm. I've invited my disc golf club so hopefully there will be a number of dg'ers out there to join in the fun.

Being looking for vids of the launch the other day. Was anybody filming?

So you think just because I've had a successful flight there is no need for improvements? Haha WRONG.

Anyways, first up is (and I don't have photos of this boring process) is laminating all the exposed wood with a thin layer of epoxy. There are all sorts of epoxies you can use for this new epoxy coating fad - which is actually pretty cool IMHO. These types of epoxies are great because they create an impervious and smooth layer which is what I need especially for the chute cannon. The chute cannon is just a plain paper tubing which just isn't great for rocketry. Left alone it will just delaminate with use and exposure to ejection charges. So with the use of disposable epoxy brushes I painted the entire cannon and all of the wood discs with epoxy.

After some sanding I bought some really cheap vinyl contact sheets from the local Michaels. This stuff is really difficult to work with but its cheap at $2 per 12"x12" sheet. Unfortunately once you apply it and then decide to peel it off the sheet is trash and you have to start over with a new one. But on the other hand, should I ever want to change out the yellow for something else it's pretty easy compared to painting. Not a product I'd use on a regular high powered rocket since I am not sure it could stay on with the higher speeds.

And today in the mail I got a cool new toy for this project from Eggtimer Rocketry. A WiFi switch so I can turn my timer off and on remotely without having to take everything apart. This means I can place the FBD&D out on the pad and wait until everything is set on the rail before I turn it on with a smartphone. Some assembly required - So now I have to try my hand at soldering...I think I can do it lol. Just needs to be done before the 12/14 launch.

And yes, the center pole looks to be a little off perpendicular but thats only because I was too lazy to bolt it in place like I would for flight.

Attachments

• IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 25
I think you need another row of chains. How do you expect anyone to actually stick one in there.:p

;):D

Nope. No more chains and I don't care how poorly it catches lol. The challenge as far as I am concerned is can you even make contact with the basket in the air which I just don't think can be done much less actually "sticking" it.

And yes, I've tried putting on the thing. Doesn't catch with a crap. It's slightly worse than a 30 year old Mach III. ;)

-Dave

So I got my WiFi switch back (because I hired someone to assemble it for me lol) and did some bench testing this afternoon to make sure it works with my timer. This thing is awesome! Just need a smartphone and the code to access the WiFi network it makes and via a web browser I can turn the timer off and on remotely. It can also check continuity on two channels if needed and reports the battery voltage.

Attachments

• 58DE3E9C-38AB-4044-9BD0-4DEED22BE2EA.jpg
    58DE3E9C-38AB-4044-9BD0-4DEED22BE2EA.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 4615833A-8BA9-47F3-AB59-43E5343E59E7.jpg
    4615833A-8BA9-47F3-AB59-43E5343E59E7.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 17
Nerd Alert!!

So I got my WiFi switch back (because I hired someone to assemble it for me lol) and did some bench testing this afternoon to make sure it works with my timer. This thing is awesome! Just need a smartphone and the code to access the WiFi network it makes and via a web browser I can turn the timer off and on remotely. It can also check continuity on two channels if needed and reports the battery voltage.

Come on now, this isn't "Brain Surgery"

Welp...we were going to try to launch today but the club launch has been pushed back to 12/21 due to weather. It was just too crappy today to hold a rocket launch unfortunately. That's a problem for me since I will be with family that day opening presents. Oh well. Next opportunity is coming up on January 18th.

In other news related to this project, I managed to snag a 10' long rail very similar to this. Which is probably the most annoying part to get in order to make my own launch pad. Sooooo if I have my own launch pad that means I can haul this beaut to disc golf events and...well you get the idea. ;)

Latest posts