• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

Ok...I've gone from *might* to *not happening* for flying the basket at that launch on 5/23-24. I'll still be going to the launch but I have a large rocket I am going to fly for whats called a L3 certification and that's going to be stressful enough as it is. The basket is a pretty complex little project to fly and having 2 complex flights at a single launch sounds like a bit much for my pansy-a$$ lol.

Ok...I've gone from *might* to *not happening* for flying the basket at that launch on 5/23-24. I'll still be going to the launch but I have a large rocket I am going to fly for whats called a L3 certification and that's going to be stressful enough as it is. The basket is a pretty complex little project to fly and having 2 complex flights at a single launch sounds like a bit much for my pansy-a$$ lol.

In case anyone is interested my big-a$$ed L3 rocket shredded itself. Fortunately, other than the fins ripping themselves off all the expensive bits were recoverable like all the electronics, camera, motor casing, parachute, etc.

Which leads me to this...I am now in the process of re-building that bird and bringing it to Argonia, KS at the end of August and intend on flying it there. And of course, the FBoDD will be making the trip with me. As always, if any of you are interested in coming out and tossing plastic at it or just watching the silliness PM me here and let me know so we can share contact info to meet up at this launch. Its free to just watch and will be REALLY entertaining. More details can be found here:

http://www.kloudbusters.org/airfest/Default.aspx

Necro-bumping my own thread lol...So off topic a touch - the L3 rocket that shredded in the above video was rebuilt and flown in Three Oaks, MI on 11/14/20 and I successfully got my L3 cert. It was an amazing experience really.

So back on topic, I flew the basket yet again yesterday. The flight was perfect. The post land results...not so much. This was flown in some pretty high winds which was about 15 mph at the time. After landing, the parachute re-inflated and dragged the poor rocket and breaking loose 6 of the 8 upper spokes. So that means the upper section will have to be rebuilt in some fashion. The big decision now is how to rebuild it. On the drive home from the field last night I came up with 3 or 4 ways to do it in my head. Oh well...that's rocketry for you.

Oh and by the way - AINT NONE OF YOU HITTING THIS THING WITH A DISC WHILE ITS IN THE AIR. EVER.

Necro-bumping my own thread lol...So off topic...

... Oh well...that's rocketry for you.

Oh and by the way - AINT NONE OF YOU HITTING THIS THING WITH A DISC WHILE ITS IN THE AIR. EVER.

Oh, but some of us would really want to try...
I would wait till it has parachuted down close enough to huck my light Wizards at it.
Maybe if you get out to Bong Recreation Area again and I am not working I would love to try ...

And for those who are interested I put a data logging altimeter on board and the attached are the results. 278' AGL and 96 mph lol 😂

Attachments

• 089ABAB2-115A-40C5-8249-7078E07BA917.jpg
    089ABAB2-115A-40C5-8249-7078E07BA917.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 6ACEE0D7-51DB-474B-B33B-3D729ED02851.jpg
    6ACEE0D7-51DB-474B-B33B-3D729ED02851.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 19
  • A84A17D3-6D2C-4EE3-8A04-4A4EBB3F2CE3.jpg
    A84A17D3-6D2C-4EE3-8A04-4A4EBB3F2CE3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 24
And for those who are interested I put a data logging altimeter on board and the attached are the results. 278' AGL and 96 mph lol [emoji23]

Simon will put together an algorthym on how to hit it and then, in a plot twist, somehow throw 30 discs at once.

He won't hit it, but Dave will get thousands of views on youtube.

Also, at the beginning of the video before the rocket gets to full accelleration, it looks like an elevated basket that hovers via jet propulsion. I bet that would be a beautiful gimmick to make putting more difficult! You could even lace the engines with copper, lithium, etc to distinguish the baskets from each other. Red to green flames, par three. Red to purple flames, par four!

Simon will put together an algorthym on how to hit it and then, in a plot twist, somehow throw 30 discs at once.

He won't hit it, but Dave will get thousands of views on youtube.

Also, at the beginning of the video before the rocket gets to full accelleration, it looks like an elevated basket that hovers via jet propulsion. I bet that would be a beautiful gimmick to make putting more difficult! You could even lace the engines with copper, lithium, etc to distinguish the baskets from each other. Red to green flames, par three. Red to purple flames, par four!

Also, funny you mention the flame colors. All hobby rocket motor manufacturers make propellants in different colors. Typically those colors are red, blue, white, green and some purple. This particular motor was what called "Cocktail" propellent which is kinda purple. There are other varieties that produce jet black smoke and yet others that emit all sorts of sparks. Each different propellent type has different performance characteristics

You have no idea how badly I want to do that. I've looked into it and the hoops I have to jump through make it almost impossible.

Are the restrictions because its just flying in general or is it because of using rocket engines? If its the later, could you make a compressed air/water version and shoot it up? It wouldn't need to go all that high for a ring of fire... maybe 30 or 40ft

Are the restrictions because its just flying in general or is it because of using rocket engines? If its the later, could you make a compressed air/water version and shoot it up? It wouldn't need to go all that high for a ring of fire... maybe 30 or 40ft

Water rockets are a whole different ball game I really know nothing about. 30 or 40 feet really isn't enough time for the chute to inflate and you'd have like 2 seconds to throw before it hit the ground lol. Maybe find someone with a gigantic drone that could drop it from a hundred feet up or so...

Yeah there are A LOT of rules to follow when launching large rocket motors like this and you need lots and lots of space.

So if anyone is interested...I am going to attempt to have this fella ready to go for a launch near Princeton, IL on 5/29 and/or 5/30. If you are interested in throwing at it post a response here so we can coordinate. And don't forget that the big white panels are ad space. :) For a small fee I can put a 6"x8" graphic on each of those panels.

Latest posts