• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

You know the GLO TDs?

:D

Sure don't. I think I looked at the Toboggan course for GLO some time ago and there is just barely enough room between the trees. I'm willing to come out there FOR FREE and go through all the FAA paperwork to do a demo flight so long as someone else will get permission from the parks.

A ring of fire with the FBD&D and all those top tier MPO and FPO players would surely be epic.

Soooooo the weather did not cooperate this past weekend (again) and the next go will be Feb 15 in Three Oaks, MI. I might be going to the launch near Lafayette, IN on Feb 8 too so if anyone is interested in seeing it there let me know.

And the launch in Lafayette has been postponed so FBD&D will be in Three Oaks on 2/15.

And in other news, that fancy WiFi switch has essentially been banned for use in the way I was going to use by the Tripoli Rocketry Association it so it goes bye bye and hopefully I can get a second timer. Anyone have a need for a WiFi switch? I'll let it go for $40 shipped lol.

-Dave

Soooo I know I am kinda talking to myself in this thread but just in case anyone is making the trek to Three Oaks the launch has been pushed back to Sunday (2/16.) Comment here if you're coming to watch and I'll post a time when I will try to fly it. As of right now I am looking at around 11 am. Bring plastic to throw at it.

RIP Mad Mike Hughes. His was the rocket of death unfortunately.
Your basket got almost as high as his rocket.
Be safe Dave.

So after the latest flight the FBD&D suffered some damage - certainly not irreparable by any stretch. There is a coupler between the upper spokes and the main tube and upon landing that broke. This is the weakest part of the rocket and I had my really expensive timers in there to sort of hide them and keep the overall look of the basket clean. So I'll just have to put in a new coupler - or something - and relocate the electronics and associated 9v batteries elsewhere on the craft. The timers appear to be in good shape but could have been much worse.

However, my question is this: Our next club launch is 3/15 so is anyone planning on coming to Three Oaks to watch it fly? If so, let me know ASAP and I'll get it fixed in time. Otherwise I have other rocket projects to focus on for the next few weeks during my spare time. For example I am trying to get my level 3 rocket done which is 7' tall and 7.5" diameter. It's a lot of work lol.

Dave - when I saw this it made me immediately think Dave the Rocket Guy would get a kick out of this. It's not really about rockets but after you watch it, I think you'll think it's pretty cool. (I hope.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyjKbx36k90

Rocketry ain't fireworks to be sure but the reality is all of us rocket folk sure love fireworks just as much (maybe more?) than average. ;) Thats a great video.

So I have my first flight sponsor and yes I will be filling up all the panels for this coming Saturday's launch in Three Oaks, MI.

If anyone is looking to have me come fly this at a tournament or whatever here is something to keep in mind that I sorta just found out. If the state the flight is taking place in has adopted NFPA (National Fire Protection Act) regs as law then the minimum site dimensions has to be 1500'. No exceptions. AFAIK Michigan is a NFPA state. :/ It is entirely possible to combine several neighboring properties to get the 1500' so long as all involved property owners grant permission.

It's irritating as all heck for me because this little rocket only goes to ~250' and might drift 200-300' at best. Why I still have to have 1500' is a mystery to me.

It's irritating as all heck for me because this little rocket only goes to ~250' and might drift 200-300' at best. Why I still have to have 1500' is a mystery to me.
Is it based on the thrust level of the engine you're using? I assume that an actual streamlined rocket with that same engine could potentially go much further up without the basket aero drag.

Is it based on the thrust level of the engine you're using? I assume that an actual streamlined rocket with that same engine could potentially go much further up without the basket aero drag.

Yes that's exactly the issue. The motor I use is an "I" and if I put it in a minimum diameter bird and really optimize the weight it could easily go supersonic and hit 5k+. But what I am miffed about is I cannot get an exception or there is no exception written into the law at all. It really should be based on anticipated altitude.

Coming up on the 23rd and/or 24th of this month I will be attending a launch in Princeton, IL put on by the Quad Cities Rocket Club. The basket *might* make an appearance especially if anyone is interested in stopping by to watch. The only thing is there will likely be a limit on attendees so this might not be open to the public but rocket fliers only. However, if you're interested and can make it either day let me know and I'll keep this thread updated as details emerge.

Latest posts