• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

Just an FYI we are officially "go" for the club launch this Saturday. Not only will this contraption fly but so will a lot of other high powered rockets. More information can be found here:

www.michianarocketry.org

The forecast is looking to be a bit cold but with winds in the single digits and mostly sunny skies its going to be about as good as it gets for this time of year. Lunch will be sponsored by our favorite epoxy brand, RocketPoxy and is Italian beef sandwiches (yum). If you plan on coming out there is no charge to watch and PM me here and we can meet up if you like and you can see the flying basket in person.

Someone needs to go FaceBook live for this.

Don't count on it. Only if I can find a volunteer to video it as I will be shooting photos with my DSLR. Plus our field is out in the sticks so to speak so while signal for data on a smart phone is usually not terrible I am not sure a live stream would work too well.

At least video it. Next Day Coverage is better than no coverage at all.

:thmbup:

I have a couple of buddies from my DG club coming out to watch. I can get one of them to film it with a smartphone or something. I also finished getting the on-board camera ready for flight last night.

T minus 26 hours to launch

T minus 11 hours to launch

Attached picture...The FBD&D is chillin with some of his new rocket friends. Look at all the crap I gotta take...sheez. And that's not everything. Not pictured is my laptop bag and DSLR bag.

-Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 78
T minus 11 hours to launch

Attached picture...The FBD&D is chillin with some of his new rocket friends. Look at all the crap I gotta take...sheez. And that's not everything. Not pictured is my laptop bag and DSLR bag.

-Dave

Well, you are ... Dave the Rocket Guy!

Are you taking the snow blower to clear the launch pad?

Got any of your buddies signed up for a true, Ring of Fire?

Good luck, can't wait to see the video!!
:popcorn:

So YouTube is being a butt and I cannot seem to load the onboard so that's coming tomorrow. For now I have a still shot of launch. Now those of you who are not familiar with rocketry, this may seem a rather disappointing failure. Not so. This is on some levels a success. It's one of those things where you have to learn from your mistakes to proceed to the next step. So this flight showed me that the design is stable under flight and that my built techniques are sound and will hold up to flight stresses. I also learned I need more motor. Something that burns just a little quicker but is also more powerful. Lastly, I have to completely rethink my parachute deployment so that I am not 100% reliant on the motor ejection. While I basically had to recover most of the bits with a trash bag, the center tube is mostly intact.

I can rebuild it. We have the technology. I have the capability to make the first flying Basket of Death and Destruction. This will be that basket. Better...Stronger...Faster...

(Watch the video Simon in my previous post - if you're really are paying attention to this thread - you're not hitting that basket during flight. Ever.)

Attachments

• FBDD_1.jpg
    FBDD_1.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 52
So YouTube is being a butt and I cannot seem to load the onboard so that's coming tomorrow. For now I have a still shot of launch. Now those of you who are not familiar with rocketry, this may seem a rather disappointing failure. Not so. This is on some levels a success. It's one of those things where you have to learn from your mistakes to proceed to the next step. So this flight showed me that the design is stable under flight and that my built techniques are sound and will hold up to flight stresses. I also learned I need more motor. Something that burns just a little quicker but is also more powerful. Lastly, I have to completely rethink my parachute deployment so that I am not 100% reliant on the motor ejection. While I basically had to recover most of the bits with a trash bag, the center tube is mostly intact.

I can rebuild it. We have the technology. I have the capability to make the first flying Basket of Death and Destruction. This will be that basket. Better...Stronger...Faster...

(Watch the video Simon in my previous post - if you're really are paying attention to this thread - you're not hitting that basket during flight. Ever.)

If we did some serious math, and Simon was willing to try to hit it, we might be able to grt close. It'd be like trying to make a 300'+ ace on a moving target. Not impossible, but certainly improbable.

I have pictures and a onboard video to upload. This was a partial success...more in that later after I get a chance to upload stuff and edit photos...

Never met you in my life....and you've earned a place in my top 10 favorite ppl ever for this. Seriously the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!! Major props!! I wish I was closer to volunteer some assistance on part 2. Seriously, awesome stuff!!!

Never met you in my life....and you've earned a place in my top 10 favorite ppl ever for this. Seriously the coolest thing I have ever seen!!!! Major props!! I wish I was closer to volunteer some assistance on part 2. Seriously, awesome stuff!!!

:hfive:

In all the time I have worked on this I never expected this kind of reaction. Thanks a bunch. This gives me a lot of inspiration on the rebuild which is going to be way better.

Tell you what...If the stars align and I can make it work with my personal schedule I will bring this thing to Wisconsin to fly it. There are a couple of clubs that go to Bong Recreation area (yes, it is seriously called Bong) which is near Kenosha. If I make that happen I will post it here and you can come throw discs at it lol.

-Dave

:hfive:

In all the time I have worked on this I never expected this kind of reaction. Thanks a bunch. This gives me a lot of inspiration on the rebuild which is going to be way better.

Tell you what...If the stars align and I can make it work with my personal schedule I will bring this thing to Wisconsin to fly it. There are a couple of clubs that go to Bong Recreation area (yes, it is seriously called Bong) which is near Kenosha. If I make that happen I will post it here and you can come throw discs at it lol.

-Dave

Kenosha is a trek from here, but I'm pretty sure I'd make it to see this! Hell, I'd consider the trek to Michigan lol. (Side note: without even asking, I know my wife's answer to that proposition)

And this project really just tickles lots of my fantasies. I used to dabble a bit in rockets as a kid. Obviously, I love disc golf. I also (as a machinist by trade) love to build things and love to tinker. This is just an awesome conglomerate of all of that.

Latest posts