• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

I'm guessing the USDGC has already contacted you for a prototype to be used on the clown's mouth next year?...

:D

:clap:

Seriously though...If someone wants me to bad enough and assuming I can overcome the paperwork hassle I would love to bring it to a tourney to do a demo flight. Not sure how much space I am going to need though that's free of trees and such...

-Dave

For the next iteration, think of launching the basket upside down, folded like an umbrella (really, two nested umbrellas). Attach the parachute to the top. When coming down, the chain support and tray would open out. Kind of like the Traveler.

For the next iteration, think of launching the basket upside down, folded like an umbrella (really, two nested umbrellas). Attach the parachute to the top. When coming down, the chain support and tray would open out. Kind of like the Traveler.

LOL

That sounds like a nightmare to get it to work. Generally speaking, large moving parts like that on a hobby rocket are very problematic.

LOL

That sounds like a nightmare to get it to work. Generally speaking, large moving parts like that on a hobby rocket are very problematic.

You gotta have stretch goals in any pursuit, right?

I'm thinking the arms would just be hinged at the pole and pulled out by gravity when the basket flips right-side up. Fabric bands for the outside rim of the tray and chain support.

You gotta have stretch goals in any pursuit, right?

I'm thinking the arms would just be hinged at the pole and pulled out by gravity when the basket flips right-side up. Fabric bands for the outside rim of the tray and chain support.

I never said it was impossible. ;)

Just let me get this one in the air a few times and work out the kinks before doing something REALLY insane.

Don't get me wrong...I like the way you think. :thmbup:

So this happened tonight.

You thought those old school Mach baskets don't catch worth a crap? Wait till you putt on this baby. :clap:

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 81
get it certified!!!!!

y3if77.jpg

level one cert, and so on.

did i use the right terms? havent done rocketry in a while

LOL...yeah not so much. It's the flier that gets the certification - not the rocket. So I have a level 2 certification which means I can fly anything with a L class motor or smaller. If I only had a L1 it would be a I class motor or smaller.

-Dave

I cant stop seeing Craig's dance of despair and disillusionment when I see this thread pop up...

My brain works in... umm… mysterious ways...

So, designed to have discs thrown at it during descent?

It is. But that's not the primary design objective. Primary objective is it has to fly safely. Second priority is it has to meet PDGA tech standards as far as dimensions go. Third - maybe be able to catch discs...kinda. And yes, during flight either up or down.

Spoiler alert: Ain't no way anyone is hitting this bugger during flight from the flight line which IIRC is a minimum of 100' away. ;)

It is. But that's not the primary design objective. Primary objective is it has to fly safely. Second priority is it has to meet PDGA tech standards as far as dimensions go. Third - maybe be able to catch discs...kinda. And yes, during flight either up or down.

Spoiler alert: Ain't no way anyone is hitting this bugger during flight from the flight line which IIRC is a minimum of 100' away. ;)

I'm thinkin' on descent; an infinite number of monkeys with Comets.