• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

Last edited:
So before I piss off anyone else in the 2018 NCAA Football thread I figured it's time for some more updates as work is progressing. The past few days are rather significant in the project process since I have finally settled on how I want to incorporate and protect the rather sensitive deployment electronics. Sooooo here we go:

- First photo - this is what is pretty much the completed eletronics sled. The end on the left side is glued into the coupler.

- Second photo - to protect all that, the sled slides into this tube with the and that fancy plate on the end is there for the screws to hold it in place and keep the sled from sliding out. This will also help protect the timer from getting dirt and other nastiness on it. The eyebolt on the end will help with giving something to grip to pull the ebay out of the tube.

So after this, it will be time to start gluing the lower basket to the center assembly. After that, the upper spokes and chains need to be installed. BUT before I do any of that it's time to go to the hardware store and buy some more materials...

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
HOLY TIME CRUNCH

Thought I had another week to finish this thingy...Next launch is a week from yesterday. EEK

Get ready to see lots of updates. Need to glue the lower basket and upper spokes TODAY. And hopefully soon after that see some ground testing of the deployment system. In other words...watch me scare the piss out of my neighbors lol.

LOTS of work done...thank goodness...

- First photo...guess what, I found a cheapo camera to put on board. This is what appears to be a GoPro knock-off and was selling for $20 in Home Depot. It came with a couple of different mounting options and a waterproof case as well. It's not exactly an aerodynamic piece but hey...neither is this project. May buy another as a suicide camera to be placed next to the launch pad looking up.

- Second photo...Got all the upper spokes glued in and the center tube that was recovered and cleaned up from the first flight. That's all for now. Hopefully, I'll get started on the chute compartment tomorrow night after work. :p

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 42
Work moves ahead...Just waiting on the glue to dry. Wood-glued the e-bay to the upper part right under the upper spokes mount. Can't really do anything else productive until tonight after work. Wood glues takes a few hours to cure...I think I can get the chute compartment done tonight and maybe test deployment charges Thursday...fingers crossed.

-Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 24
Parachute compartment is closer to done. Got a lot going on after work and then I'm trying to update this thread lol...sheez. Still a lot of fun though.

Picture 1...This is the inside the chute compartment. The cord that the chute attaches to will be secured to the quick-link you see in there.

Picture 2...This is the inside of the compartment...um...erm...cap? The other end of the cord gets attached to that little eyebolt in the center on the bulkhead. I made the bulk head myself with a circle cutter on the drill press. That sucked immensely. Only took 4 tries to get it right...yuck

Picture 3. So the...cap...is going to slide into the chute tube to make a nice seal with the chute inside. The deployment charges will be inside and below the chute so when they go off the cap and chute will be pushed out. The photo does not show it fully inserted because the glue isn't dry.

mmmmmkay time for bed

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
What's the best way to contact Mr. Lizotte? Anybody tried to reach him on the Facebook? With a chute attached, he may actually have a "shot" at it.

I've tweeted at the guy once about this and didn't get a response. I think I also mentioned something on Facebook via Jomez - I think? - but don't recall getting any response there either. If anyone does get a hold of him I'm willing to travel a little with the basket. There are places that launch during the summer if that works better for him like Kansasville, WI and a club in Muskegon, MI. I do plan on being at LDRS 38 (Tripoli Rocketry annual launch) where there will be literally HUNDREDS of rocket weirdos like myself with a 50k foot waiver over the labor day weekend this year.

On a more pressing note: The weather for Saturday is not looking good. Ceiling forcasts put it at 1k which is really bad for our hobby. It may get postponed or canceled altogether. There's another launch on Sunday I could go to but it is a 3 hour drive away. Not sure I want to do that...

-Dave

Aaand in unsurprising news our rocket club has elected to can the launch for the weekend. The ceiling is going to be real low (less than 3k) for much of the time which obviously isn't an issue for the FBD&D but is an issue for most everyone else since we really aren't supposed to fly into clouds.
So unless the weather really turns to crap I am going to try to get this in the air on 1/19 one way or the other. I may even drive to Kansasville, WI to do it and fly with another club that weekend. We'll see.

At least I don't have to rush on the remaining items...which are: wiring, deployment testing, hanging the chains, drilling the launch rod holes and installing something for motor retention.

Sorry, but I have to ask: Do Wisconsinites from around the state go to Kansasville to get a taste of the exotic cuisine of the local enclave of immigrants?

Sorry, but I have to ask: Do Wisconsinites from around the state go to Kansasville to get a taste of the exotic cuisine of the local enclave of immigrants?

I've only been to Kansasville a couple of times and only to fly rockets at that so I am really unfamiliar with this enclave of immigrants. Care to expand on this? I'm always down for some unique grub.

I've only been to Kansasville a couple of times and only to fly rockets at that so I am really unfamiliar with this enclave of immigrants. Care to expand on this? I'm always down for some unique grub.

Just a joke about what it would be like if "Kansasville" was analogous to "Chinatown" - except it would be the opposite. Everything in Kansasville would be familiar and boring to other midwesterners.