• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying Basket of Death and Destruction Build Thread

Just a joke about what it would be like if "Kansasville" was analogous to "Chinatown" - except it would be the opposite. Everything in Kansasville would be familiar and boring to other midwesterners.

LMAO, I thought this was going in a completely different direction

LMAO, I thought this was going in a completely different direction

Just a joke about what it would be like if "Kansasville" was analogous to "Chinatown" - except it would be the opposite. Everything in Kansasville would be familiar and boring to other midwesterners.

Erm...guess I'm pretty slow sometimes lol

Aaand in unsurprising news our rocket club has elected to can the launch for the weekend. The ceiling is going to be real low (less than 3k) for much of the time which obviously isn't an issue for the FBD&D but is an issue for most everyone else since we really aren't supposed to fly into clouds.
So unless the weather really turns to crap I am going to try to get this in the air on 1/19 one way or the other. I may even drive to Kansasville, WI to do it and fly with another club that weekend. We'll see.

At least I don't have to rush on the remaining items...which are: wiring, deployment testing, hanging the chains, drilling the launch rod holes and installing something for motor retention.

Guessing with the weather this weekend, you did not launch.....

Guessing with the weather this weekend, you did not launch.....

Oh yeah...this thread. Sorta forgot. Yep I don't think anyone in the midwest flew any rockets this weekend for obvious reasons. We got about 8-10 on Saturday. Its supposed to be warm-er on Tuesday so I may do my recovery system test then. I could have done it today but didn't because cold.

Is there such a thing as too cold? is there a better temperature range for flying these rockets?

Is there such a thing as too cold? is there a better temperature range for flying these rockets?

Like a lot of good questions in rocketry the right answer is, "it depends."

Some of the materials used in rocketry can handle cold better than others. Most (like fiberglass, phenolic, paper and carbon fiber) can handle it fine but Quantum tubing becomes brittle and can shatter under stress. The high powered motors which are composed of ammonium perchlorate handle the cold just fine however the smaller black powder motors made by Estes cannot handle cold-warm-cold cycles and blow their nozzles in dramatic fashion. So storing them at room temperature and only bringing them out for the launches fixes that issue.

Another limiting factor I suppose but have never encountered is the batteries on the launch equipment could be susceptible to power loss with very cold temperatures but I don't know a lot about that. Our launch system uses 12v gel batteries. 9v batteries are definitely an issue in the cold. The little 9vs are commonly used to power altimeters and timers like the timer I'm using in this project. If the 9v is new usually it isn't an issue. Sometimes people will put hand warmers in their electronics bays for the batteries.

Probably the biggest limiting factor in cold weather are the fliers. You need to have some level of dexterity to prep a rocket especially if you're loading up rocket motors or cleaning them out for the next flight. At a certain point fliers tend to say, "Screw this I'm staying home" in the cold. I've flown in 15 degree weather and that's pretty much the bottom limit for me personally - only if it's sunny.

Typical rocket person giving a really long answer to a simple question lol

-Dave

Way too cold to be doing recovery tests outside so go some indoor work done tonight. I even got a putting test done on v 2.0:

Probably going to get some of the miles and miles of cat5 cable stripped up and run a length of the pairs between the spokes so the putters don't fall out the bottom like that one did. Why cat5? 'Cause I got a BUNCH of it years ago for free so I might as well use it...

Dave, great first launch. Any thoughts on using a slow I-power motor next launch? Haven't done the math, but it looked like you had enough inital power but not enough lasting power against the likely high drag.

Dave, great first launch. Any thoughts on using a slow I-power motor next launch? Haven't done the math, but it looked like you had enough inital power but not enough lasting power against the likely high drag.

Heeeeeyyyy someone that speaks my language lol. You are absolutely correct in your assessment and great question by the way.

I have a AT I140 (single use) in stock at the moment which was intended for another rocket but has since been designated for this one. I have higher thrust I motors (I245 - I think?) that are good for the other rocket but probably not so good for this one. I haven't done a final weight just yet because with the addition of the ebay and chute tube on top the weight is obviously going to be more - just don't know how much yet. Going to be a long indoor weekend here in Michigan so this is going to be a good time to get it finished. Once I know the dry weight then I can figure out what motor I want.

-Dave

And I might switch up motors anyways. For reference, here is the H100 it originally flew on:

http://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=2132

This is the I140:

http://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=2018

Is that enough? 336 NS vs. 200 NS is a 168% increase in thrust - so maybe? Another appealing option is a Loki I210 - which ships hazmat free by the way:

http://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=1497

Thats 490 NS and is a 245% increase over the H100 and might be a bit much. I mean, it'd be kinda funny to watch it shred as it ascends and see bits of chain and oak dowels come flying off but I'd kinda like it to work - at least once. Yeah, I need to crunch some numbers and think about this for a bit...Since this thing is sooooo draggy I have no idea what numbers to crunch lol.

This is awesome, keep the updates coming.

Reading through this thread has re-ignited my childhood interest in model rocketry. Made me remember how much I enjoyed doing this with my dad, and I think I'm going to get back into it with my oldest kiddo! #GrowTheHobby :thmbup:

Just think of all the fun Steve would have trying to graph out the pars.

This is awesome, keep the updates coming.

Reading through this thread has re-ignited my childhood interest in model rocketry. Made me remember how much I enjoyed doing this with my dad, and I think I'm going to get back into it with my oldest kiddo! #GrowTheHobby :thmbup:

AWESOME!!! Such a great hobby to do with kids for so many reasons. They learn basic scientific principles without even knowing it. Thanks so much for posting this. It means a lot to me.

Had a bit of an epiphany while eating lunch believe it or not. Trying to think how I could fool my OpenRocket program into accurately simulating the FBD&D...I'll just over-ride the mass of an existing simulation and then make the body tube so big and draggy that it matches the flight profile of the video I posted earlier. So based on that vid I think the flight time from ignition to apogee is roughly 4 seconds - or a little less. With OpenRocket I am gaining a little over 80 feet of altitude going from the H100 (211' -> 300') to the I140 and if I use the Loki I210 I gain about 180' over the H100. And that's adjusting for the new weight as well which I think will be around 6 pounds without motor. Having a sim (even inspite of its inaccuracies) is a huge step in this project in determining my timer set up and which motor I use. It'll at least get me in the ball park.

-Dave