• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Of the discs I have thrown so far, the Teebird has become my favorite. I picked up two of them at 175g in DX plastic, but was thinking of upgrading to G Star plastic.
What do you all think? Is that a good way to go?

If you like the feel of GStar plastic in your hand, then yes, it's a good way to go.

I personally don't care for GStar plastic. The only time I will bag it is when it is really cold or there is snow on the ground, maybe 1 or 2 rounds a year. Loads of people like GStar, I'm just not one.

Agreed; I'm not a fan of GStar (as some here are aware), and y'all will have NO competition from me getting a GStar Teebird. But for those who do like it, it's the next step up from DX...

Last edited:
Hey all. Noob here. I literally just bought my first discs less than a week ago.

Of the discs I have thrown so far, the Teebird has become my favorite. I picked up two of them at 175g in DX plastic, but was thinking of upgrading to G Star plastic.

What do you all think? Is that a good way to go?

Thanks

-Dave

DX Teebirds are great. Lots of glide, long flights. Why are you thinking of getting G Star? Do you like the feel of the plastic, or are you concerned about durability, or some other reason(s)?

Give the DX Teebirds some time. I'll also echo the merits of cycling. Throw one of them until it gets beat in. Then you'll have two Teebirds, a fresh one and a worn in one that together can cover a wider range of shots. If and when you need something more stable/durable then buy another in your plastic of choice.

One of the things I wish I'd done differently when starting out is buying fewer discs. Unless you are playing really rocky courses, or losing discs easily, a couple of DX discs are all you really need when starting out.

When I first started, I picked up a Champ Teebird with the teebird stamp. That was one of my favorite discs... and then I lost it. Anyone know where I could find another?

DX Teebird are wonderful things. I keep one in my bag for long-straight water shots. Just learn to avoid trees and they'll beat into lasers. Haven't thrown GStar birds but I read they're really nice. Strange that I don't as I love my GStar Thunderbirds, Destroyers, and Rhynos.

As for Star, they've got the stability, especially the New AJ ones which fly very close to my PFN Star when new. My FN Star and 12x champs are fairly understable (FN Star has more dome and new 12x are close to AJ) and don't handle wind too well but they don't flip and go on me. I'd rate them as -1/2...ish. I will say the champion ones have a pretty awesome amount of glide to them.

Teebird are wonderful discs, everybody should bag one...or seven.

When I first started, I picked up a Champ Teebird with the teebird stamp. That was one of my favorite discs... and then I lost it. Anyone know where I could find another?

I know what you're talking about. The Innova Proshop had some Champ Valkyries with the DX Valkyrie stamp, and I got a couple some time ago.

Ergo, you might try the Proshop for DX-stamped Champ Teebirds...

I know what you're talking about. The Innova Proshop had some Champ Valkyries with the DX Valkyrie stamp, and I got a couple some time ago.

Ergo, you might try the Proshop for DX-stamped Champ Teebirds...
That has to be what it was. I just couldn't think of how to describe it. It was a big, bold DX stamp too. I didn't think it had the other graphics on it that the Brinster has.

None in the proshop...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How did the one you lost fly when new?

Might have been a totem TB or a circle stamp. They have done a couple releases on the proshop. They fetch a fair penny on the used market, and sell out very fast when offered. I have never owned one, as I have plenty of Brinsters to hold down my bookend TB. They were touted as being OS TBs.

I like Champion Teebirds because they maintain the same flight pattern for quite a few seasons.

With DX plastic, you can throw it until it starts to behave differently (less stable) and then replace it with a new DX Teebird. Then you will have a stable disc and a less stable disc to throw depending on the shot. (Seasoning)

Personally, I don't like cycling discs and like to have a stable Champ Teebird and compliment it with a Discmania FD, rather than have seasoned DX Teebirds that have beat in.

G-star is nice for cold weather but gets too floppy in the heat. IMO.

That has to be what it was. I just couldn't think of how to describe it. It was a big, bold DX stamp too. I didn't think it had the other graphics on it that the Brinster has.

None in the proshop...

Those totems were the second mold Innova did in Champ plastic with DX stamps (the Glow Gators were first) since the Proshop was started. They are long gone from there. Good luck finding one for a thrower price.

The funny thing is people pissed and moaned that they were awful examples of TBs because they were so beefy. Everyone loved the beefy Brinsters though...

Those totems were the second mold Innova did in Champ plastic with DX stamps (the Glow Gators were first) since the Proshop was started. They are long gone from there. Good luck finding one for a thrower price.

The funny thing is people pissed and moaned that they were awful examples of TBs because they were so beefy. Everyone loved the beefy Brinsters though...

Those Totem Teebirds were the at the beginning of the Champion plastic change to the current blend Champion commonly referred to as Jolly Launcher. JL tends to be a clearer plastic, occasionally pearly, very durable, and more stable than the opaque Champion plastic it replaced.

I've still got a couple Totem throwers that fly very similar to the JL Teebirds in current production. Overstable? Well, nothing like the first year Brinsters TBs which fly like beat Firebirds.

Edit: I believe the Proshop did another run of Teebirds in JL but used a double bird stamp instead of the old school circle stamp.

Last edited:

Not really. Brinsters are not that popular. You can get them for around $25. They had their fans but they must not have clicked with a lot of the teebird throwers.

I always was told the totem teebirds were pretty straight. Never owned one myself.

I just bought a 175 DX Teebird for the heck of it and tried it out today and I gotta say, right out of the box it flew amazingly. After a couple rounds it started getting a little flippy and very inconsistent.. I want a bird with that same amount of glide and just lazer straightness that stays that way forever.. sad face..

I just bought a 175 DX Teebird for the heck of it and tried it out today and I gotta say, right out of the box it flew amazingly. After a couple rounds it started getting a little flippy and very inconsistent.. I want a bird with that same amount of glide and just lazer straightness that stays that way forever.. sad face..

Gstar. /sadface

Gstar. /sadface

I have a gstar bird, its far more overstable and less glidey than a DX. In fact I own a multitude of Teebirds in many plastics and can't seem to find one that compares to a dx. Now, my gstar is very new and I suppose if I break it in it might be comparable.. Hmmmm. thanks!

I have a gstar bird, its far more overstable and less glidey than a DX. In fact I own a multitude of Teebirds in many plastics and can't seem to find one that compares to a dx. Now, my gstar is very new and I suppose if I break it in it might be comparable.. Hmmmm. thanks!

I have a low PLH star that flies nearly the same distance to DX, but the DX has more understability. I've thrown Gstar that flew identically as my star...but also some fresh Gstar have more fade to start with but felt like a similar HSS and glide potential. I don't doubt that the fade will beat out of them and the Gstars will become as long. I'd look for low wing/PLH Gstar or star, and if the fade is a little early let it season slightly, it will get that way. This is up to ~375' for reference.

The G* will do the trick nicely. The new beats out of them pretty quick and they hold that sweet spot a long time.

Take that G* out for a few rounds, hit a few trees and knock the new out of it.

Could also start a cycle of DX Birds.

I've also had good luck with Echostar birds too.

Latest posts