• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand only discs

So lately I've been playing a lot with my smaller bag and I only carry 5 drivers in it. Because of that, I can't carry a forehand specific disc like I normally do (which is usually a destroyer or a wraith or something). Now I have been getting a lot more work in with the SOLF and QOLS depending on the line I need and am finding I don't really need a forehand specific disc for distance lines.

So do you carry a disc you use only or mostly for forehand shots? If you do you should try to take the disc out of the bag and wean yourself off of it. And if you don't want to do that, why not?

Don't worry it was scary for me too but now my forehand is way cleaner and I can flick a lot of different discs.

Also for people who carry forehand specific discs, what do you carry and how do you throw? I prefer to flip something up from a hyzer when throwing for distance.

This might be too obvious, but Discraft's Flick is fantastic for long bomb FHs. I carry a 169g Z Predator that flips up to flat or slight anny, and just carries for me.

I never thought the flick had enough glide to really be able be a distance forehand disc. It relies on a lot of speed and once it loses speed, it falls off pretty hard.

the reason i dont wanna do it is like 50 feet of D, the bosses i carry for FH are a good deal easier to put out past 400 than any of my destroyers are........so NO

I think it depends how often and far you throw forehand. I am at best 80/20 bh/fh, so like Frank I don't carry anything FH specific. If I threw more FHs or threw harder, I would probably want a Boss/Nuke/etc so I could just throw flat and hard for a straight shot with a hard finish. I used to throw mostly annies fh, but over time I've developed more of a hyzer release. This is mostly because I forced myself to throw my bh discs fh, and I don't carry too many really stable (or fast) discs. I think there is more control in the hyzer release.

I think I will eventually have a couple Destroyers I primarily use for FH...The E* seem a little squirrely for my FH when they break in, so I will probably end up using my overstable Star Destroyer for fhs when it gets broken in.

i did the it the other way. I used to carry a z crush for fh distance. I am 60/30/10 bh/fh/oh. I didn't want to have a disc just for fh so I learn to throw the z crush for bh as well in my over stable spot. I also started using my flick which is my oh disc for some shorter fh stuff.

Frank Delicious said:
So do you carry a disc you use only or mostly for forehand shots?
Nope, I throw pretty much everything in the bag FH and BH. It has taken a while to learn to throw understable discs FH, but learning to do so has opened up some very useful lines. The Fuse is the only disc in the bag that I do not (yet) trust FH.

I throw most forehand drives with a teebird. I can push it out pretty far on a hyzer flip, but get a little more if I give it to the sky on a huge distance route.

I simply don't have the power for a boss on a back hand, so I only throw it fore hand. Again, flipping from hyzer is good, controlled distance. I find this disc can really take a hard low anny pretty well too, but it'll do that up high as well. I basically throw a teebird on any hole that is not over 500 feet.

Yeah I should mention that (depending on the course) I'm pretty much a 50/50 FH/BH player with my FH having a bit more pop 420'/380' respectively, this makes it a bit harder to have one mold work well for both. I never toss my bosses bh, they are just out of my power range, whereas *most* destroyers are fairly easy for me to overpower (fh) and generally not as long by around 20/30 feet

Monocacy said:
Frank Delicious said:
So do you carry a disc you use only or mostly for forehand shots?
Nope, I throw pretty much everything in the bag FH and BH. It has taken a while to learn to throw understable discs FH, but learning to do so has opened up some very useful lines. The Fuse is the only disc in the bag that I do not (yet) trust FH.

+1

Fuse is just as fun FH as it is BH.

I previously threw over-stable discs that would fight an accidental turnover release, but I have been cleaning up my forehand shot over the last year and will use all the discs in my bag if I need to.

It's funny you brought this topic up because there is a forehand dominant guy at our local course that carries three-four excalibur's, a mid, and a putter, he can tear it up, beats my scores all the time for that matter, but he can't throw an anhyzer forehand. I had to throw my P-PD forehand on a left turning hole, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/647/67ebda74.jpg made it perform a nice anhyzer and fade out down by the pin. Some people just think you can't forehand stable to under-stable plastic.

There are a few discs in my bag for backhand purposes only...or do you want to see that as me carrying everything else mostly for forehands? I carry a few 150 class discs just for backhands. I can flick them just fine, but they're in my bag because I want to backhand with them. I used to be a forehand dominant player, but now I just use whatever shot shape makes the most sense on the hole, so the course dictates my forehand/backhand dominance at this point.

This thread sounds like a sneaky way to make a disc "minimalization" point. Or maybe I just read complex underpinnings into anything Frank Delicious writes. :p

I once had a newbie ask me which discs work best for left handed players. I recommended the round ones. The same answer works equally well here.

I seldom throw backhand drives. At one time I considered packing a couple drivers in the bag just for those rare occasions. So I took a stack of discs out to a field to do try-outs. I also took my regular bag along. My backhand was so iffy it didn't make much difference what I threw so long as it was the correct stability for the line I needed. The auditions closed without any of the new discs earning a spot.

A complete bag should include discs from strongly overstable to darn flippy, unless the player has such superb skills they can make anything do anything. If so, more power to you and thanks for taking my money.

If I had a 5 disc type bag I would probably have an Xcal. It would be Xcal, QOLS, Polaris LS, Roc, Wiz. I have only been using my OLF's on hyzers because the QOLS gives me a better straight shot than a seasoned SOLF. The QOLS actually holds forehands pretty well, a lot better than the SOLF surprisingly.

Mark Ellis said:
This thread sounds like a sneaky way to make a disc "minimalization" point. Or maybe I just read complex underpinnings into anything Frank Delicious writes. :p

How many molds do you carry Mark? I'm thinking you could probably kick 2 or 3 of them out of the bag. :p

While I am a minimalist freak it was really more to see how many people who can really rip FHs carry discs specifically for them.

I've been getting into groups during doubles with guys who throw a lot of distance forehand shots and a lot of them carry discs just for forehands. They carry bosses, Xcals, or other discs they can start on steep annys and get distance that way. I think I am secretly jealous b/c I totally can't throw those type of lines very well. I always start my FHs at or near flat and let the disc turn on it's own.

A complete bag should include discs from strongly overstable to darn flippy, unless the player has such superb skills they can make anything do anything.

This is what I am saying.

Why did you ask how many molds he carries? Why not how many discs? Mold minimalism means absolutely nothing, and I would love to have someone explain to me why they think it does. Disc minimalism is an idea that I can get behind, but throwing multiple discs in the same mold is still throwing different discs. If you're throwing a new T-bird and a beat T-bird they only thing you're minimizing is the variation in grip...you're throwing them because they behave differently, so I absolutely believe you're throwing two different discs.

Can you please help explain why I'm wrong..or did you just misspeak?

FierceTable said:
Why did you ask how many molds he carries? Why not how many discs? Mold minimalism means absolutely nothing, and I would love to have someone explain to me why they think it does. Disc minimalism is an idea that I can get behind, but throwing multiple discs in the same mold is still throwing different discs. If you're throwing a new T-bird and a beat T-bird they only thing you're minimizing is the variation in grip...you're throwing them because they behave differently, so I absolutely believe you're throwing two different discs.

You just got whooshed. Don't worry about it, it happens to the best of us.

FierceTable said:

i totally had like a 4 paragraph response to this but totally confused myself by the end of it. I would say the terms are very interchangeable. you ran your post in a giant circle and if you could explain your understanding of disc minimalism better, I might be able to respond properly.

I'm a forehand dominant player (I'm trying to make a majority change to BH). I own a boss but usually leave it in the car. I'm comfortable enough that if I have a shot I need to go 400+ A hyzer flip with a katana will be just fine or even my beat champ orc. It's more about knowing how to throw the discs you have then a disc specifically overstable for forehand.

Knowing how to shape your shots and the flight patterns of your discs is a much stronger tool than defaulting to overstable,