• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand only discs

I carry Firebirds for forehands and overhands. My forehand form stinks, so I have to stick to the overstable stuff and just make do. I really need to get better, but haven't taken the time to. How did you clean up your forehand? Trial and error out on the field?

emiller3 said:
I carry Firebirds for forehands and overhands. My forehand form stinks, so I have to stick to the overstable stuff and just make do. I really need to get better, but haven't taken the time to. How did you clean up your forehand? Trial and error out on the field?

I benefited a lot from just slowing it all down and focusing on the wrist. I tend to get better distance when I focus on putting my weight on top off and ahead of the disc(hope that makes sense). I use my right foot(RHFH) to push that side of my body forward and let that accelerate my arm(not sure if that is even "proper form" but it works for me).

Yeah, I can get a pretty clean release on a slow flick. I'm still surprised how far it will go on a clean release. But I struggle throwing harder, I have some pretty severe wrist roll.

My drives are probably about 65/35 BH/FH. I frequently throw Bosses in both forms. I carry a Flick that I only throw forehand and generally only in situations where I absolutely, positively cannot afford to have the disc turn over and/or need a lot of fade.

In thinking about it just now, it makes me wonder why I never throw it backhand in those same types of situations.

I do not have a FH specific disc
but I do have discs that I DON'T FH i.e an Aurora MS...it tends to burn on me
but I will FH my Ridges, Sentinels, OLS and OLF
I will also BH all of them

I do carry a Firebird that I basically MOSTLY FH but if the wind is howling it will get BH duty

I have been looking to add a Force for distance FH duties...either flat to anny release to stretch it out

for whatever reason I can't seem to hyzer flip my FH...I get more of a swoop and bad results

although I don't abide by this myself you should probably be able to BH and FH any disc in your bag
and on that note I will try to FH my Aurora on a hole at league tonight

ManU, as far as forces are concerned, I'd highly recommend flat to moderate dome ESP Forces for sidearms; they are spectacular performers! Easy to throw for lots of distance on a variety of lines, great wind fighters, and slow to break in.

Some great sidearm hyzer flip discs are:

Summit at slow to moderate standstill flick speeds
Champ. Panther (older run "multi-purpose disc" in lighter weights) at moderate speeds
Star Valkyries at faster speeds

I use my Champ Wraith for forehand shots. I typically throw them with a little hyzer to the left and let it fade back in. I just started throwing this way this year so I'm getting between 250-300ft on a good drive. I'm trying to change my power grip to the one Avery Jenkins uses and I'm definitely getting more spin and getting the disc to turn over for a short amount of time with that one.

I can't rip a FH super great but I keep gravitating towards having a FH specific disc no matter how much mold minimalism I try. I tried combining Halos for FH and wide-open field distance duties but I'd have 1 awesome flick with the Halos for every 5 squirrely ones so that's a no go. I keep coming back to my trusty Star Starfire specifically for FH. I'm ~75% BH and 25% FH.

I think having a FH specific disc (not necessarily mold) is reasonable though b/c I used to beat in my other drivers really fast when I used them for FH too.

I play 90+% of my non-putts RHFH, so I throw everything from a Voodoo to a Pro Leopard to a Buzz, PPD, and Rogue to the relatively stable FR Nuke, Pro Boss and Pro Destroyer, to the baby-eating Whippet-X, Opto XXX, and Champ XCal forehand. (just noticing that X theme for overstable stuff... did disc makers decide that letter should be devoted to overstable discs?)

With a still wind (as if that happened here), helping wind, or left to right wind, this isn't difficult with even the least stable of the discs I carry

Into the wind, or with a right to left wind (which blows hard here in north Texas) though? EFF THAT. I don't care who you are, it's not worth trying to throw a Leo into the wind FH. That's why I think every FH'er should carry some beefy overstable discs -- shots into the wind. You can only watch so many hyzer release shots flip to rollers before wanting to give up.

I just don't understand people equating overstable discs with a lack of technique. to me, they're for:
1) upwind shots
2) all out effort looking for max D
3) dogleg rights

Frank Delicious said:
You made some good shots with that Halo during the meet up.
Yeah, unfortunately those were more the exceptions than the rule. I used to approach predominately only with FH when I started playing so I can flick anything under 200' into decent putting range as long as the wing is mostly flat on the bottom.

colombo117 said:

That is such a rad hole, I wish we had something like that here.

On topic, I used to throw a Flick, Firebird, and Drone exclusively for forehand shots. I've recently started cleaning up my form and now I throw my Rocs, Gazelles, and putters (Aviar and Voodoo) forehand. I've actually noticed a more consistent shot, less skipping, and more control overall since I've moved to lesser stable discs.

Since I made this thread I've learned how to forehand a lot of discs and can now flick my rocs up to 250' which has come in real handy.

well I got my BH distance to a good level and have now started adding in a FH (thanks to some super sekret teqniks). what is a reasonable distance for FH. I'm not talking Scott Stokely or Ville Piippo. I'm saying just a decent to longish FH drive. 300? 320? 350? more?

I don't have much of a forehand. Generally I get 220-240 out of them with the occasional 280' shot. Depending on how scared I am of a turnover, I'll use the Star EagleX or the Star Starfire. Both are already in my bag for wind/hyzer shots in the fairway and distance driver slots.

I hold FH shots to the same standard as a BH if its under 380. To me a 330-350 shot FH should be not too hard, but that has been the upper end of what I have seen personally. 400 FH is hard to do and hard on the body without pretty clean form and maybe even some good genetics/conditioning.

I can manage 280 or 300 on a nice snap FH, I played only FH for about a year or two when I tore my right ACL. Eventually I gave up on it after a bad run, and now I am trying to regain it for my overall game.

surprisingly, I can get some great distance and accuracy throwing my Monarch fh. that thing just lazer beams straight ahead, with a slight fade at the end.

I like fh'ing my Valk too, but I use the Monarch more often when I throw fh

I was able to throw about 320' (according to google earth) after a few tries FH with very little strain on the body (as I throw 95/5 BH/FH). The key for me was getting the elbow out in front to get some leverage, if you do that plus add SST stuff Id imagine 350'-380' should be doable.

I would guess I am a 70/30 BH/FH player off the tee and a 60/40 on upshots. I carry just one FH only disc in my bag, a 150 flick. I use this disc for getting out of trouble or at times as a mid to overcome and obstacle. I use the wraith and the nuke for off the tee.

CHEERS - Koffee