• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frankenchains

A.Mutt

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
For the last few weeks I've been working off and on at constructing a disc catcher. Its now basically done and painted. Though I do expect to have to make some tweaks. I borrowed some great ideas I saw some other golfers utilize. For example I first saw Marty McFly use a bike wheel for the top, and EagleChick use shelving brackets for a basket frame.

I'm calling it Frankenchains because I used a lot of materials that were intended for other use. The base is an umbrella stand, of course the top is a bike wheel, and the basket is made of all kinds of things. The base of the basket is a Lightning #2 Roller that I never liked and my dog had chewed on, while the hoops are a mix of the tire from the wheel on top and the other two are strips of vinyl door molding and mounted to a frame of 8 shelving brackets. I cut up the inner tube from that bike tire to make the ring around the bottom. And finally I lined the basket with material I cut up from a soccer ball bag.

basketfullofwin.jpg
baskettop.jpg
basketchains.jpg

Wow, I wouldn't know whether to use it for putting practice or for a chandelier. Seriously though it looks awesome. How does it catch? I just bought a instep basket and a LOT of putts spit through and bounce out.

Thanks guys. It catches very well so far. No spit outs and its deep enough that bounce outs don't happen either. I tried to position the top of the basket higher up than standard to train myself away from low putts.

Wow, I wouldn't know whether to use it for putting practice or for a chandelier. Seriously though it looks awesome. How does it catch? I just bought a instep basket and a LOT of putts spit through and bounce out.

Thats why I added inner chains

Best basket I have ever seen due to the blue jackets flag on top! ITS JACKETS TIME!!!

hells yeah! I got a pair of those flags from a game this last year, I believe from right before they made it in to the playoffs. Glad to have finally found a useful purpose for one.

Yeah, its about time they made the playoffs, but hopefully they will get there first playoff win next year :cool: I try to make it up to columbus as much as possible to buy new hockey equipment, I need to play some courses next time im there... any other good courses besides brent hambrick that are good to play in that area, such as easton?

Blendon Woods is short but a solid, technical course very close to Brent Hambrick. Lobdell isn't too far but a good 30-40 minutes away. Anyways thats a worthwhile visit for sure. Let me know next time you come up this way and we'll get a round or two in.

Blendon Woods is short but a solid, technical course very close to Brent Hambrick. Lobdell isn't too far but a good 30-40 minutes away. Anyways thats a worthwhile visit for sure. Let me know next time you come up this way and we'll get a round or two in.

Im up there when I have hockey games or to see a blue jackets game, I also plan on playing some dg tournys there so I will deffently tell you next time im there to get some local expertise on the courses :D

Im up there when I have hockey games or to see a blue jackets game, I also plan on playing some dg tournys there so I will deffently tell you next time im there to get some local expertise on the courses :D

sounds good and I'd be down for catching a Jackets game as well too. The wife and I try to go to at least a few every year.

Thanks guys. It catches very well so far. No spit outs and its deep enough that bounce outs don't happen either. I tried to position the top of the basket higher up than standard to train myself away from low putts.

there definitely wont be any bounce-outs...lol.....looks great man...how much did it end up costing you? or was it all mostly stuff you had just hanging around the house?

Looks awesome, what did you use to keep the (Lightning) in place at the bottom of the basket? Drive screws into the pipe?

Truly inspiried to try this. I think I have about half of the stuff in the garage.

ha, i looked it and noticed the umbrella stand right away, we have the same one, very innovative looks great with the pain and all

there definitely wont be any bounce-outs...lol.....looks great man...how much did it end up costing you? or was it all mostly stuff you had just hanging around the house?

ummmm I didn't do a real good job keeping track of cost but the bulk of it was definitely the chains. I ended up using 30 feet of chain which cost me about 40 bucks if I recall correctly. The brackets were a dollar and change each and I think the pole cost me about 9 dollars. Those vinyl strips were only a couple bucks each. I think I spent about 10 bucks total for the S hooks and the metal ring for the bottom of the chains. There were a few other things here and there I'm sure I spent money on like Gorilla Glue and cable ties too, but that stuff is useful for later projects. Everything else I had already. The bike wheel and tire I utilized came off my mom's old bike and I'm happy to have something I'll use daily that helps me remember her.

So all in all probably around 70 dollars or so, maybe more. I honestly didn't think about it from a cost perspective too much. I'm just a DIY kind of guy and this was a project I thought would be a lot of fun during and after.

Looks awesome, what did you use to keep the (Lightning) in place at the bottom of the basket? Drive screws into the pipe?

Truly inspiried to try this. I think I have about half of the stuff in the garage.

That has been the real tricky part and might get tweaked later. Right now its being mostly supported with a flexible 1/12" to 2" pipe coupler that I found in the plumbing dept. of (insert generic hardware store). I also used some Gorilla Glue where the pipe meets the flight plate. It works well enough but I would ideally like a solution that is more solid.

ha, i looked it and noticed the umbrella stand right away, we have the same one, very innovative looks great with the pain and all

thanks man. I went with camo so that when I got it out in my practice area I have an easier time focusing on the chains and that red stripe ... and mostly because I like the way it looks :D

Latest posts