• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Free CTP's??

free closest to pin contest. win some cash or a disc or two. probably comes with the enterance fee

that there are going to be holes that have ctp's and you do not have to pay to do it.

CTP means 'closest to pin'. Basically during the tournament there will be a selected hole (or more) that you will have a chance to throw the closest to. Usually marked by a small flag. Whoever is the closest off of there 1st throw wins the prize.

these guys got it... usually you will have one for each division for each round and sometimes one thats is for all divisions .. just an extra perk of playing the tournament .. winner usually gets a new disc, swag ,etc,

It means you're not in St. Louis.
they gouge you for an extra $5 for CTP packages that should always be free (or included in the entrance fee)

yeah i have seen some charge.. not many but ive seen a few.. think it was still only like a buck or two just like ace pool but most ive played in it was included

We do both. Divisional CTPs are included in the entry fee. But we also have a optional cash 50/50 that is extra.

I've played both and done both as a TD. Free is always nice, of course, but an optional pay-in is optional, so no harm done.

This could also mean that the manufacturer selling tournament discs is throwing in CTP prizes as part of their offering to the event.

I've not heard of people charging to be part of a specific CTP pool at any Minnesota tournaments. It is a widely accepted practice to include them as part of your registration.

Why should they always be free?

Depends on the CTP offered. A cash CTP should be a paid CTP. If you're giving away stock plastic/swag, it's most likely covered by the offset between retail and wholesale prices of your merch (I'd use the word 'profit' here, except that's generally a rarity for a TD).

I guess I'm not saying they SHOULD be free, but $5 seems exorbitant.

Why should they always be free?

Because our club is NOT for profit and it is entirely possible to offer free CTPs without losing money. Or, by allocating $1/participant for a handful of CTPs. If there is a CTP on every hole, I don't mind paying $5. But paying $5 for a handful of CTPs of 1 crappy disc each is a rip off in my opinion.

CTP's are just like ace pots. Sometimes they're inclusive, sometimes they're not. Some folks would probably appreciate the option of opting out.

Because our club is NOT for profit and it is entirely possible to offer free CTPs without losing money. Or, by allocating $1/participant for a handful of CTPs. If there is a CTP on every hole, I don't mind paying $5. But paying $5 for a handful of CTPs of 1 crappy disc each is a rip off in my opinion.

If it's optional, I don't see the problem.

We've done the free CTPs, just as you mention, either from the tournament funds or, frequently around here, from donations from other individuals and clubs. Or both.

We've also done a buy-in, such as $5 for 5 holes. The winner gets a merch voucher, usually about $40, to select from hundreds of available discs, not just a "crappy disc" we've provided. Most players opt in, apparently feeling it's worthwhile.

Since about 2010, nothing has been inclusive around here.
Typical tournament entry is $20-$25
+ $1-$2 for ace pool
+ $3 for nono-current club members
+ $5 for CTP's
+ $5 late fee for anyone not there 30 minutes before round 1
Payouts are the same as they were when it was $20 for everything. So, if you're visiting St. Louis and want to check out a tournament, it could cost up to $40 for a non-sanctioned, local event.

If it's optional, I don't see the problem.
The winner gets a merch voucher, usually about $40, to select from hundreds of available discs, not just a "crappy disc" we've provided. Most players opt in, apparently feeling it's worthwhile.

If the CTps were a merch voucher for $40, I'd probably buy almost in every time. The problem is that we don't get a merch voucher worth $40. We get left over club discs from the year before that no one bought and they've been knocking around storage for the last year. Or, we get another Gateway putter. That may seem like a good CTP for some people, but if you live in St. louis, you have more Gateway putters than you know what to do with.

Just playing devil's advocate here: Those tourney entry fees are a good deal cheaper than just about anyone is offering these days. Those are 1990s prices; and should probably be appreciated. I might still be playing a tourney or two at those entry prices.

*As an aside, I recently claimed a St. Louis disc from the prize table at a recent event* :)

Since about 2010, nothing has been inclusive around here.
Typical tournament entry is $20-$25
+ $1-$2 for ace pool
+ $3 for nono-current club members
+ $5 for CTP's
+ $5 late fee for anyone not there 30 minutes before round 1
Payouts are the same as they were when it was $20 for everything. So, if you're visiting St. Louis and want to check out a tournament, it could cost up to $40 for a non-sanctioned, local event.

Or it could cost just $20. Why do any of the listed items need to be included in the entry? Seems like a pretty fair model to run a tournament on, to be honest, especially from the perspective of just about any individual player.

If a club or TD can get away with running an a la carte style event without hurting their own bottom line (i.e. losing money on expenses), more power to them. It's as player friendly as it gets, IMO.

Latest posts