• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Freebie stories?

Buiscutboy

Double Eagle Member
Anyone have any interesting freebie stories? Though I'm not really sure this counts as interesting...

So I was at my home course, showed up at the first tee pad at the same time as someone else, so we played together. I was particularly OATy that day, and was turning everything over. At the end of the round, he says, "You really need to get a good forehand disc" and went and dug around in his trunk. He comes back with a max weight Opto XXX, gives it to me, gets in his car, and drives off.

I still haven't thrown it.

All my discs are stamped with my PE stamp on the underside which makes me feel special and makes my discs easy to spot.
About a year ago I was leaving the course and passed very close to a disc that had just been thrown by someone else and noticed it was the same disc that I had lost not too long before, flipped it over and there was my stamp (and name & number). Dude walks up, I tell him hey this was my disc and I really liked it before I lost it, offered to give him 5$ for finding it. He replies that its now his favorite disc of his small bag, and he offered me 5$ to keep the disc.
Feeling a little bad for him, and knowing I had a full bag of 20+ discs including a replacement of the disc in question- I let him keep it, no $ requested.

Unfortunately Ive unintentionally given lots of freebies away far more times by losing discs in obvious places :doh:

I've never been given a disc but have given away several hundred. All of my tournament winnings and unmarked/unclaimed finds are given to other tournament players or park gawkers or beginners or forum users or people who express an interest in any disc I happen to have.

Once I found an Instinct and thought it was the guy several holes in front of me. I ran through all the holes and sure enough he was just realizing he lost it. Fast forward a month or two and I see him again near hole 1. We started talking and I mentioned to him I wanted to fill a hole in my bag (I'm new to DG) for a high speed driver to forehand. He was kind enough to let try out some of his so I'd get an idea of what I'd want. I threw them in an open field and decided what I was going to get. I thanked him and handed his discs back. He then went into his trunk and gave me a 167g DDx and said here try this backhand, and you can keep it.

my favorite stories are when i get a call about one of my lost discs and the person found it at a course where i've never been. i've had that happen a few times. many times i've gotten a call and they found it at a course that i've been to but it's not where i lost that particular disc.

my favorite stories are when i get a call about one of my lost discs and the person found it at a course where i've never been. i've had that happen a few times. many times i've gotten a call and they found it at a course that i've been to but it's not where i lost that particular disc.

Or when you get a call about a disc you haven't seen in years and the guy found it on a course in Iowa and you've never been to Iowa.

I called a guy whose Star Spider I found at Ann Mo in Boise. He'd lost it at Dela 2 weeks before, and said he'd never been out of the SW U.S.
Oh, I've gotten freebies for volunteering, and a few for finding treasured discs or helping someone out of a jam. But like AP, I've given away hundreds, from errant desire purchases and un-inked finds.

I have a lot of friends that I give discs to and to reciprocate they will give me things they can't throw well. If it's too OS, high speed or they just don't care for it I get some of them. Often with the knowledge that if I don't throw it I'll give it to someone who will, or that the sale of it will help pay for my next tournament.

I found a guy's Diamond once and called him. He told me to keep it since he lived several states away. I had no use for a Diamond so I gave it to a 60+ yo guy I disc golf with out of pity sometimes. He loved it and thanks me for giving it to him all the time. But I can't stand that guy anymore though and refuse to play with him now. :|

I was wading in the lake at one of the local courses. A guy was playing and told me he had just lost a star Destroyer, and showed me where to look. I found it and gave it back. Later, I found another disc of his on a different hole. For my efforts he gave me a champion glow Shryke.

I personally have given away tons of discs I don't throw anymore. If someone can use them and actually wants them, I have no problem giving some discs away.

My favorite freebie story was between round during a weekday tournament. I watch the Chuckster reach into a box and walk over to a mother on a playground with her 4 year old son and handed them a new putter.

It made me smile.

I got a freebie F2 disc with my recent order from the Innova Factory Store. It turned out to be a clear blue champ 175g Daedalus, so ultimately it was a freebie for my friend who likes those silly things.

I found a guy's Diamond once and called him. He told me to keep it since he lived several states away. I had no use for a Diamond so I gave it to a 60+ yo guy I disc golf with out of pity sometimes. He loved it and thanks me for giving it to him all the time. But I can't stand that guy anymore though and refuse to play with him now. :|

you found out he was Keegan's dad?

Nothing special but here is my story :
I am french. 18 months ago I went to Finland to visit a friend. We walked on a parc and I saw a strange basket. I asked him what was this thing. He told me about disc golf and it looked great. The last day I asked to try disc golf with him. I loved it.
6 months ago I started a disc golf club in my town where nobody ever heard of disc golf. In two weeks, I will have 18 baskets to create a 18 hole courses, 2km from my house.
Next summer, I will go back to Finland, to assist to the European Open with my friend !

One day before league play, I found a disc and texted the number on it. Apparently, the owner lost it somewhere else and it made its way to where I was playing. I'm in Arizona, he's in Florida....he told me to keep it. So I added a Star Valkyrie to my bag. A few weeks later, I was practicing in the field before league play and one of the guys from my club suggested I try his Opto River. I liked it and threw it well...he told me to keep it. Later he mentioned to our group that he was looking for a Star Valkyrie (I hadn't played the one I got or told anyone about it)....so...that became his.

I'm part of a great group of folks (Prescott Disc Golf Club) and there's a lot of 'have this disc - it might work for you'.

This wouldn't happen in ball golf...that's for sure.

One day before league play, I found a disc and texted the number on it. Apparently, the owner lost it somewhere else and it made its way to where I was playing. I'm in Arizona, he's in Florida....he told me to keep it. So I added a Star Valkyrie to my bag. A few weeks later, I was practicing in the field before league play and one of the guys from my club suggested I try his Opto River. I liked it and threw it well...he told me to keep it. Later he mentioned to our group that he was looking for a Star Valkyrie (I hadn't played the one I got or told anyone about it)....so...that became his.

I'm part of a great group of folks (Prescott Disc Golf Club) and there's a lot of 'have this disc - it might work for you'.

This wouldn't happen in ball golf...that's for sure.

I got married in Prescott once.

*Too lazy to search for/copy&paste Joe Piscopo Johnny Dangerously meme*

Nothing special but here is my story :
I am french. 18 months ago I went to Finland to visit a friend. We walked on a parc and I saw a strange basket. I asked him what was this thing. He told me about disc golf and it looked great. The last day I asked to try disc golf with him. I loved it.
6 months ago I started a disc golf club in my town where nobody ever heard of disc golf. In two weeks, I will have 18 baskets to create a 18 hole courses, 2km from my house.
Next summer, I will go back to Finland, to assist to the European Open with my friend !

Cool story bro :)

Did the city just say "sounds fun, a sport nobody ever heard of, here's money"? Or where did the baskets/land/labor come from?