• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

From oHIo down to Oak Ridge, TN via I-71 & I-75

kinger

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
1st weekend in November I should be driving from Canton, Ohio to Oak Ridge, TN. Plan on traveling down I-71 in Ohio and onto I-75 through Kentucky and into Tennessee. I will be leaving early morning and should be near Lexington around lunch time.

Here are courses I have noted so far, looking for current course conditions and recommendations. Thinking of no more than 3 courses on the way down and 3 courses on the way back and don't want to veer too far from the highway due to time constraints:

Kentucky (most likely on my drive to Oak Ridge)
*Lexington - Shillito, Veterans, River Hill
Richmond - Camp Catalpa
Corbin - Miller Park

Tennessee (while I'm in town visiting friends)
Oak Ridge - Carl Yearwood, Groves Park
Knoxville - Victor Ashe, Morningside, Tommy Shumpert

Kentucky (most likely on my drive back home)
Burlington - Idlewild, Boone Woods

*Lexington is kind of the wild card as it has the 3 listed courses within close proximity of one another, however it may eat up too much time. If I do plan on stopping it could work on either way down or back home depending on what other courses I plan on playing.

My initial plan was to hit Camp Catalpa, Miller Park and one of the Oak Ridge Courses before getting to my destination. I could play the other Oak Ridge course during my stay and maybe sneak over to Knoxville for a round or two.
On the way back home I would do the (3) courses in Lexington. Originally I planned on skipping by Idlewild and Boone Woods, because this will likely take quite some time to play......but how can I drive right by and not stop! T
Trying to put it all together for the right format. Lexington seems to be the cog right now so advice for those courses would really be helpful.

I'd skip the Lexington courses personally (Veteran's is the only one worthwhile).

If you're stopping in the Corbin area I think you might as well go over to the Pulaski courses instead; much better fun-factors.

Victor Ashe in Knox area is good, even while the layout is screwy.

In NKY Cincy area, you ought not pass by Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge and Mt Airy without playing one or all of them.

My two sense ...

i have no advice since i'm an ohio'an as well but it looks like a fun trip. i'd love to spend a week driving and camping and hitting some great courses in other states.

good luck!

In N Ky skip Boone and play Lincoln Ridge, Idlewild and Mt Airy across the river in Cincinnati.

If you can only play one make it Lincoln Ridge, if only 2 add Idlewild, imo. They're 20 minutes apart.

Victor Ashe is the one to play in Knox. One of the nicest/newer parks in Knox county. Need more of a gun here than Morningside. Since you're staying in knox and have extra time Morningside is a fun course but its drawbacks (sketchier area of town, glass/trash everywhere) and you would definitely need to throw it with a local cause nav is hell unless you where to go.

The Mounds (Groves Park) in Oak Ridge is a pretty nice course on an old ball golf course. And recently has 9 new holes in the woods so it's a 27 hole course. Navigation through the course can be kinda tough your first time but not too bad. If you're playing the wooded holes, having a local would be very helpful and have not many markings.

In Lexington, Veterans is the best one but unless you've played there before I'd advise you to get a guide. Its quite difficult to navigate blind. River Hill is a fun warm up for Vets too. Shillito is alright but nothing special. Can't say much for the Richmond or Corbin as I haven't played either yet.

Of the TN courses you've listed I've played Victor Ashe and Groves. I'd recommend the Groves (4 sets of tees, rolling hills, very scenic) plus the new 9 are great with dual sets of tees in the woods. The new nine start after number 8 in the open. Turn right, go into the woods and you're there.

In NKY, Idlewild Idlewild Idlewild! Boone Woods will get your arm warmed up for the big show if you want to go that route. Depending if you're playing 18 or 24 at Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge would compliment it nicely. From tough placement golf to one of the highest fun factor courses I've ever played. Plus there both always in great condition.

Happy travels

Latest posts