• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest Shot

Mad Scientist

Eagle Member
So what's the funniest shot you've witnessed?

During a round this past Summer, my nephew had a short approach shot from behind a tree. He lobs it, and it hits the ground and rolls towards another tree; But the roots and dirt around the base acted like a ramp, and the disc rolls UP the trunk a foot or so, back down again, and stops a good 10 feet BEHIND where he shot from.

It was the first time I ever saw anyone get negative distance on a shot :lol:

I witnesses a "black ace" when I was playing doubles last summer - it was my first and only thus far and our whole card had a pretty good laugh at it.

*EDIT* For those that don't know, a black ace is when you Ace a basket OTHER than the target of that particular whole. I.E. You're teeing from hole 9 and your throw hyzers out and lands in 8's basket way to the left.

a funny one happened yesterday when my friend was putting uphill from about 35-40 ft. the disc floats up and looks to be sailing for chains when it falls just short, nips the edge of the basket, falls to the ground only to roll straight back downhill to where he was throwing.

2008 Pumpkin Shootout in Evansville, IN, I forget which hole it is, but to the right you have a fence where the zoo is, and to the left is a road, and you have to shoot in between a few trees. One guy in our group decides to sidearm over the road to avoid the trees, and not worry about turning it over to much and go over the zoo fence. He throws the disc, it goes through some limbs, and ricochets over the road OB and gently glides into a trashcan.

Funniest shot not thrown by me, black-ace category - My friend Evan threw a disc only slightly off target and it disappeared into the fringe of a large tree. An instant later it popped out of the boughs of the tree and crashed straight into the basket for the hole we'd just played. He promptly paid me $5.00 and we move on. (for those that do 51 club - black aces or black metal hits the black acee pays out to everyone that witnessed)
For the few that'd know: Hole 13's long pad, Ottawa Park to 12's basket.

Funniest shot thrown by me, negative distance category - Last winter, probably around February, we were playing in heavy winds and about nine inches of snow on the ground. The day before had been warm, and melted some snow so it was all a hard crust of ice on top. I decided to throw a grenade due to a very strong headwind (20mph range) and the fact that it was a turnover shot. I figured it'd turn my forehand out left, and turn my turnover down into a roller... so what the hell, right? I release and it appears to be working out perfect - but the disc comes over so far that it becomes what would essentially look like a lefty anhyzer into a roller. It lands on edge and rolls back 200 feet along the ice with the wind carrying it. It winds up 15 feet behind me, and 150 feet out to my left. The hole is 275 out and to the right.
For the few that'd know: Hole 7's am pad, Vienna Park.

Well, besides seeing someone have to do the uphill putt on 15 at Casitas about 6 times (the last 4 times the rest of us were saying, "dear lord man, lay it up!")...

Couple years ago at Calvert Park, saw someone throw a hard line drive on 10 that got swallowed by a hole in a tree. It looked like it just vanished mid-flight, 6 or so people were watching and it took us all about 10 seconds of dumfoundedness before we figured out what the hell happened to the disc.

I once saw a guy in a group ahead of me throw a disc off the tee that landed in a lake that was behind him. I was couldn't hold back the laughter.

At the am. crosstown classic I witnessed a black ace.

Zebulon, the hole where you are at the back of the baseball field and are throwing uphill to a wide open hole (the beginning of 3 wide open holes), a guy turns over a destroyer straight into a group of people putting at the basket two holes after the one we're on. We all yell fore, but the basket saved a lucky person's life. I don't think we ever got our dollars... or beers for that matter. :evil:

My wife called me during a round once, naturally as I was driving. The ring of my phone got to me and I proceeded to griplock the disc. I sent it 30 degrees right off the tee and into a thicket of small trees and shrubbery about 150 feet away.

As I was talking to her, my friend was taking everything I was saying and repeating it and or responding to it like everything I was saying was a sexual innuendo. I wish I remember a few of them but the last one, just as I hung up, was the best and included some kind of reference to the horrible drive I had just made. Even I could not help but shake my head and smirk. So full of himself for being so clever, he tees off and proceeds to a nail a tree that is five feet from the tee box and to our left. It rolls back to him and we all count it as a throw. He simply shakes his head and claims that it was worth it.

So some friends of mine are playing Ript (lol how many great stories start out like that? :lol: )

My buddy Rooster throws and parks the hole.

My buddy George gets on the pad.

Turns around.

Throws a HUGE thumber the exact opposite direction of the hole.

And plays "Swap Lie" on Rooster.

:lol:

SkaBob said:
So some friends of mine are playing Ript (lol how many great stories start out like that? :lol: )

My buddy Rooster throws and parks the hole .

Turns around.

We did this, too. There were 5 people in our group. I will call them Person #1,2,3,4, and myself.
Person #1 was in the lead and he is a REALLY good golfer. placed top 40 @ worlds this year. Person #2 was having a horrible round and was dead last by 4 or more strokes. Person #2 tees off and absolutely parks this hole (the basket is dead center of the photograph, on the crest of the hill, behind the trees):
fbe1e6d7.jpg

Person #1 steps up to the tee and shanks one hard and deep off the fairway into the "Chasm of Death". This area is to the left side of the picture but the disc didn't land anywhere near the edge of the photograph. The disc landed in a horrible spot and it was obvious he wants to play his Swap Lie card.

I felt sorry for Person #2 so I play the No Way card to cancel Person #1's Swap Lie. Person #3 No Ways my No Way so the Swap Lie is back in effect. Person #2 plays his No Way card to cancel Person #3's No Way. We are all laughing really hard because Person #1's sneaky underhandedness was thwarted and poetic justice has triumphed. After a few minute we regain our composure and person #4, who has been really quiet up to now, plays a Swap Lie card and took Person #2's park job for himself.

All of our effort to keep the park job for #2 went to waste because none of us had any more No Way cards!

hahaha Ript treachery at it's best!

My best times playing golf are all playing Ript (or even better, Safari Ript)...

Sooo many good times!

Darren Harper is a great Ript opponent...great sense of humor, and SOOO easy to capitalize on some of the things he just doesn't learn with :lol:

Play the card that makes it so he can't talk if you ever find yourself playing against him.

After his shot, ask "Wow! Nice shot! What disc was that?"

OMFG we've nailed him with that at least a dozen times :lol:

My funiest shot was a teeshot on the last hole at my local course. I was wanting to just miss this one tree as I get my disc to turn into a nice opening. That one tree was just the only thing in the way of a shot I'd love. I throw the disc, and when it leaves my hand, I know it is going to be REALLY close to this tree. Now I've had tons of tree shots, and tons of near misses. But this disc starts turning quicker than I thought and it knicks the tree about 20 feet up. Then the disc bounces off the tree and literally does a 3' diameter circle in mid-air, and hits the tree again, nearly in the same spot as the first hit. This tree was close enough to the tee pad that the initial hit was with a good amount of speed. So after the second hit, the disc actually starts flying away level, and at least in the direction of the basket. It flies another 30-35' and hits another tree. I've never seen anything like that before.

cjskier said:
On two occasions I have witnessed discs land in a trash can off the tee.

This.

One of the funniest ones wasn't landing in the trashcan though. It nailed the side of a trashcan making a super loud "DONG!". Scared some girl on the next tee so bad she fell over.

I once had a "Plinko" tourney ace that was a pretty poor shot that bounced off 3 trees and into the basket. Not terribly funny, but pretty cool.

Cali said:
cjskier said:
On two occasions I have witnessed discs land in a trash can off the tee.

This.

One of the funniest ones wasn't landing in the trashcan though. It nailed the side of a trashcan making a super loud "DONG!". Scared some girl on the next tee so bad she fell over.
I've seen all these, but my favorite in the trash can category was when I hit a completely full one flush on the side from about 250ft out. Half the trash in the can went flying out on impact.

In the black ace category my brother had a classic. We were playing safari holes at Champoeg park. We were teeing from pad 2 to basket 4, which is a basket directly behind basket 2 but another 100-150ft beyond. Hole 2 is really short but the straight route is almost 100% protected by trees. My brother tries to throw around the clump of trees and beyond with an Orc. He missed completely and the Orc went dead nuts straight, gapping the trees through a window that doesn't even look big enough for a disc to fit through. An Orc full power into chains not much further than 100ft out makes the most incredible sound. Summary: Black ace from pad 2 into hole 2's basket! It wasn't until about another year later that my brother hit his first actual ace. We still give him shit about the black one.

SkaBob said:

My buddy Rooster throws and parks the hole.

Turns around.

Because of this, we have an in-house rule that says that ALL drives must make an legitimate attempt towards the basket. When you are playing for fun, you can usually tell by the goofy grins whether it was a serious drive or not. When you have a bunch of Ams playing, there are a few situations that are just TOO cruel for Ript. No one wants to turn a 300 foot hole in the woods into a 600 foot hole because someone drove the opposite way. In our group, usually this only ends up being funny to the person who played the card.

With this rule, the meaniest card now in the deck is the move the tee box any direction of your choice 30 feet. We have a bunch of comedians in our Am League, so moving the tee box creates some rather unique situations. There is less sympathy for the thrower in these situations because this is funny to all.

Latest posts