• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funny on-course true stories

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I didn't see a thread for this kind of thing, so I'll start one.

Went to play a solo round Sunday, and around hole 5 me and another solo player got stuck behind the last group of a tournament. I didn't know a tournament was going on that day, or I'd have picked a different course. Regardless, that meant we couldn't play through. Anyway, there's a spot at Belmont Park where the tees for three different holes (6,9, and 11) are co-located. While we were talking toward the tees for 6, a tournament group was teeing off on 9. Two of the guys in that group (call them Player A and Player B) seemed to know each other, and Player A was just launching his drive when we got there. It was a pretty throw, sailing through a stand of trees, and was heading right for the pin 360' away.

Player B: "Nice." (Then the drive promptly hits a tree branch and drops straight down, still 100' away from the basket.)
Player A (annoyed): "Will you stop saying 'nice' when I drive!?"

Then it was Player B's turn to tee off. He promptly shanks an unintentional hyzer 30° to the left, leaving him with a blind upshot through trees and over a hill.

Player A: "NICE!"

--------------------------------------------------

Those of you who have been playing longer have to have better ones than that. Go.

I've told this story here before, but it's always worth re-telling. I've collected a couple others that I'll probably eventually remember, but this one has always stuck out.

---------------------------
A few years back I'm playing in the Upstate Classic at Timmons Park in Greenville and I'm still really terrible at disc golf at this point (I'm only not good now :D), so I'm in last place in intermediate and playing on a card with another intermediate player and the two last place guys in one of the age protected division. Anyways, during one of the rounds one of the age-protected guys has a drive on hole 1 which left him about 20ish feet from the pin but pin high, so he's got sort of a death putt with the stream about another 10 feet or so behind the pin on the opposite side. So what else do you do in that situation but pull out your trusty DGA blowfly so that if you hit band or cage it doesn't roll into the stream? So he does, and putts and hits chains just to the left of the pole, beautiful putt. And what does the blowfly do but drop in the cage, then THROUGH the cage and sits down perfectly on the ground with no roll out directly beneath the undamaged Discatcher cage. The dude just turns and looks at us with his jaw dropped like "did that really just happen" and I don't recall busting out laughing, but just standing there like wait, did that actually happen? Anyways, dude makes the drop in without the disc dropping through the cage again and we go on to the next hole. We had a little fun about it, and in retrospect it's kind of hilarious, but that's definitely my best on course story.

-----------
Another fun story is one I didn't personally see, but heard about. At our collegiate tournament at Grand Central Station DGC last year a guy from App State two-ed Hole 11 [probably the current toughest hole on the course] with a ridiculous throw in. I had played the doubles round that morning on the same card as him, and on hole 2 he put a forehand into the woods on the far side of hole 3's fairway [pin in the right location], so he throws farrrrrrr. Anyways, he throws the typical forehand layup shot on Hole 11, and as they're walking up one of his teammates gets up to the tee for 13. Well, App State dude had found his buddy's disc on an earlier hole and apparently told him "hey, I got your disc, let me just throw this shot right quick," so he steps up, throws a flick, and everyone hears chains.

Now, for reference, Hole 11 plays through a little field to about a 10-12 foot opening in the woods, with a fairway sloping down and left then right, with the pin not visible into you get into the opening. There are also some trees which guard the route into the pin, so you have to really place the shot from the mouth right to get to the pin. So naturally, everyone on his card is like "holy crap, you just twoed that!" and apparently he brushed it off like "nawh, someone was probably just putting on another hole" and walked over and gave his teammate his disc back. Anyways, they got down to the pin and sure enough, disc in the basket for a two.

I was playing in a new year's day tournament. My hubby and I were, BY FAR the worst players on our card. We just started less than a year ago. So we're feeling a little intimidated. It was a little over freezing, and some of the water hazards had just a super-thin glaze of ice, most of which had melted off by the time the tournament finished.

One of the the players who was either really rusty or super overconfident had thrown a couple nasty shots, and already lost a couple discs. We tee up at a hole where the tee is right on the edge of a water hazard, and you have to throw across about 130' of water. This guy shanks super low. The disc crossed maybe 50' of water before hitting... and skipping on that very thin ice... landing on the ice again, and sliding the remaining 80 or so feet into the soft mud of the bank on the far side. In bounds.

Hilarious. I mean, to ME. I think the guy who threw the shot was not as amused.

And within an hour, when the tournament finished, that ice was melted away. THAT is how thin it was.

I don't know if this qualifies as funny, but it was to me...kind of. Funny in a sad way.

Evansville, south of Madison by about 20 mi, has a nice little 9 hole with an island hole on 9. I played a round last weekend and pulled 2 discs out of the water with my retriever. They both had names and numbers, so I texted both of them and said their disc was on the island on this weird stone thing, and left the discs there (there was no one else playing, and this is a small town, early morning; I figured they would be safe). Now, before we got to 9 and found the discs we saw a guy with a couple kids in his truck just kind of trolling around the park (it's a nice park so people do that all the time, there's an old tank they stopped to look at, etc). After about 10 more minutes of retrieving our own discs and a couple other no names, we leave hole 9, and walk back over to hole 1's long tee. I turn around to see the guy in the truck park and walk over to the island hole. We assumed he happened to be one of the guys I texted. He picks up both discs, looks at them, looks around, and proceeds to take both of them. At that point I realized I should have put each disc in a different spot so whoever got there first didn't take both of them. We play the next round, which loops back by hole 1 after hole 5 to find BOTH of the people we texted looking around and talking to each other wondering "Where's my disc". So we had to explain to them what happened.

Me and my group found a brand new Dynamic 10 disc bag with an old beer in it and a small baggie of cocaine in it at Highbridge. No name - friend kept the DD bag but not the coke. He tried the beer and said it was old and tasted like piss.

About ten years ago my card was getting ready to tee off on our first hole at The Standing Rocks Open in Stevens Point, WI. One of the guys on our card was a no show and after waiting as long as we could we gave him his seven. Our first hole was an extremely difficult three with a serpentine fairway and a lot of trouble and rough on both sides. One of the guys on the card took an eight on the hole that was really tough to watch. As we were walking to the next tee someone says to the guy who took the snowman, "Dude, you're losing to a guy who isn't even here."

I've told this story before, but it is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen, disc golf related or not. My local course plays around a lake, and during the spring, it's not uncommon to have a large group of Canada Geese hanging out on the course. We come up to a hole and find a group of them in a large field far to the left of the fairway. They were nowhere near the typical landing zone, so we proceeded to throw our drives. Everything goes fine until the last guy in our group gets up and releases his shot super early. It skips off of a rock and flies straight into the flock of geese and hits one in the side. The goose was fine and flew off with the rest of the group as soon as the disc hit it. We give the guy a hard time, and he genuinely feels bad about hitting this poor goose. By the end of the round, we've completely forgotten about it, but the next day we get together to play a round and get to the same hole where the geese like to hang out. I guess they learned their lesson, and as soon as we step up to the tee they all take off and fly straight over our head. As they're flying over, one of the geese (I like to think it was the same one that got hit) drops a poop bomb that lands directly on the guy that hit the goose the day before. We all lost it and he couldn't say anything other than, "Well I guess I deserved that."

Me and my group found a brand new Dynamic 10 disc bag with an old beer in it and a small baggie of cocaine in it at Highbridge. No name - friend kept the DD bag but not the coke. He tried the beer and said it was old and tasted like piss.

Okay... First off... Disc golfer, lives near Gogibic, and has a BDM avatar... Jeremy is my spirit animal.

At Jeremy's course, Mt. Zion, my girlfriend and I played the 9-hole loop twice one fine summer day in the Yoop's crisp mountain air. During our two trips through this hike-fest, we found a total of 8 discs. Now, we were staying at a lake house about 45 minutes away and live about 10-12 hours away. So, I text four phone numbers that were on discs (two for the same guy) saying we were grabbing dinner in that small town and if they contacted me within an hour or two, I could get them back to people locally or leave them at the course.

Well, the only person to respond was the guy that had lost two discs on that course. His response was... well... amusing. He sent a text wall that ended up being 5-6 messages long on my phone ranting about how bad that course was and that he nearly killed himself trying to hike the hills (this is a ski hill w/ a disc golf course in the summer, what do you expect?) and that - and I quote - "The Grey Wolves ran from the woods and stole that Valk." Now, granted, there truly were a crap ton of tooth marks in the disc. It looked like it has been somebody's pet's chew toy.

I've seen plenty of wolves, bear, coyote, porcupines, moose, and all sorts of creatures I'd rather not tangle with up there, but... Really? Wild wolves ran out to steal your disc and then use it like a domesticated dog toy? My gal and I had a laugh and didn't get any texts back, so we ended up with a little stack of discs for playing a nice 9-hole course with some gorgeous scenery. Said Valkyrie is still sitting on my desk, two years later...

Here's the Valk from the Wolves Den.
qmIhQhA.jpg

Watch out for dem wooves!

A few weeks ago my friend and I played and a guy who was just hanging around asked if he could join us. "Sure," we replied. He then told us how he always plays the blue tees, we told him to go right ahead as we would play the fronts, like always. He said, "I'll play with you guys." Okay, no problem. He proceeded to throw 150 foot noob hyzers all day, playing from the fronts with us and talked incessantly about the wind, picking the right disc for the right shot, his form, etc. Painful. We get to 17 and he says, "Hey guys, I've been playing the short tees all day but for these last two I really gotta play from the back, it's killing me to play from up there." My friend and I just stared at each other like, what did he say? Well, he played from the back and barely made it past the short tees on both of his drives. It was crazy. He seemed delusional about his ability. We normally play two rounds but made up an excuse to leave, drove to another course and played there to get away from the guy. It's okay to not be good, most of us aren't, but don't be a buffoon.

About ten years ago my card was getting ready to tee off on our first hole at The Standing Rocks Open in Stevens Point, WI. One of the guys on our card was a no show and after waiting as long as we could we gave him his seven. Our first hole was an extremely difficult three with a serpentine fairway and a lot of trouble and rough on both sides. One of the guys on the card took an eight on the hole that was really tough to watch. As we were walking to the next tee someone says to the guy who took the snowman, "Dude, you're losing to a guy who isn't even here."

Priceless!!

Here is a story that is almost the opposite of the one from asromatifoso...I played a round at Buffalo Ridge the week before the Memorial in Arizona this year. I caught up to two gentlemen and they asked me to join them on hole 3. I played with them the rest of the round. We talked and one guy mentioned that he was in town from Pennsylvania to play the Memorial. I asked if he had played in the Memorial before. He said he'd played it for the last 10 years. We exchanged where we were from and he told me his name was Joe, but not much else. Both guys were very friendly and kind to ask me to join them. This "Joe" guy even had a chicken wing type throw that spun and flew like a forehand. I had never seen this type of throw before and "Joe" was good at it. So after playing with them, I decided to look up "Joe" from Pennsylvania who played the Memorial for the past 10 years. Come to find out, unbeknownst to me, "Joe" was Joseph Mela who was the defending Pro Grandmasters champion of the Memorial in 2016 and who also had several top 5 finishes at the Memorial. He is sponsored by Innova and is in the Disc Golf Hall of Fame. The crazy thing is that Joe is so humble that he never once mentioned any of these facts and just played disc golf. He made a great impression on me with his humility. There are even a few videos on youtube of Joe and one video even has him throwing his "chicken wing" throw.

I am a noob. I know I'm a noob. I know i have a noodle arm. Hubby and I were out a few days ago, and I launch my fairway shot a little high, and hit a big branch. This branch, and i'm talking easily 50 pounds of material, cracks and falls off the tree. It was a long branch that was hanging almost horizontal, so it made a pretty impressive crash coming down. I looked at hubby and shrugged, bragging about my 'cannon arm'.

:D

I am a noob. I know I'm a noob. I know i have a noodle arm. Hubby and I were out a few days ago, and I launch my fairway shot a little high, and hit a big branch. This branch, and i'm talking easily 50 pounds of material, cracks and falls off the tree. It was a long branch that was hanging almost horizontal, so it made a pretty impressive crash coming down. I looked at hubby and shrugged, bragging about my 'cannon arm'.

:D

So, Mrs. Bunyan, how is Babe the blue ox doing? :D

Short funny story:

My wife first started throwing 4 years ago and was a pretty bad griplocker initially. Her first organized event was a small handicap league on the card a hole ahead of me. Midway through the round I watched her griplock a drive 3 O'clock into the belly of an unsuspecting cardmate from point blank range. The guy went down like he'd been punched in the gut by a professional boxer. In her defence, she did warn him to stand back. She recieved a lot of high fives from his friends after the round when they learned what had happened.

In the rec division at an A-Tier on the second day, the guy in second place shows up late to the first hole. His cardmates, one being my brother, let him play for the time-being, planning on giving him a seven, buy wanted to check with the TD first. (The guy twos the hole) A few holes later when they reach the TD, the guy was assessed the correct penalty. He proceeds to scream the loudest and most obscene profanity on the history of the earth. He was then given a courtesy warning, which made him flip out even more! He would continue his angry and abusive behavior, pencil whipping and aggresively swearing. The best line of his 6 hole tangent being "Karate Chop baby Jesus in the cradle." It was probably the craziest story I have ever heard. Scary for the guys on the card, but hilarious for the rest.

I've told this story before, but it is honestly one of the funniest things I've ever seen, disc golf related or not. My local course plays around a lake, and during the spring, it's not uncommon to have a large group of Canada Geese hanging out on the course. We come up to a hole and find a group of them in a large field far to the left of the fairway. They were nowhere near the typical landing zone, so we proceeded to throw our drives. Everything goes fine until the last guy in our group gets up and releases his shot super early. It skips off of a rock and flies straight into the flock of geese and hits one in the side. The goose was fine and flew off with the rest of the group as soon as the disc hit it. We give the guy a hard time, and he genuinely feels bad about hitting this poor goose. By the end of the round, we've completely forgotten about it, but the next day we get together to play a round and get to the same hole where the geese like to hang out. I guess they learned their lesson, and as soon as we step up to the tee they all take off and fly straight over our head. As they're flying over, one of the geese (I like to think it was the same one that got hit) drops a poop bomb that lands directly on the guy that hit the goose the day before. We all lost it and he couldn't say anything other than, "Well I guess I deserved that."

I'm pretty sure "Nice" is the only correct response there.

In Baker Park in Calgary holes 8&9 are on the walk back to the parking lot from 18, so a lot of people cut in and play their way back.

Roided out "bro" and his girlfriend blatantly cut in front of our group of 18 and throw when there are people in the fairway still. She's obviously a first timer, he's terrible.

They both throw and she starts walking down the fairway. For whatever reason, he decides to rip another drive, which smashes her in the back of the head from 50' away.

She was obviously not happy, he tried to blame her for walking without looking. :doh:

Got a bunch, but as this just happened Tuesday:

Chuck and I were at Hiller in Biloxi to meet several officials with the MS State Senior Blind Olympics, to flesh out organizational details and show them the 6-hole course we're laying out [its a big deal--they're even putting in temp bleachers for the expected crowd of spectators].
While we're all standing near tee #19, two baby squirrels pop out from behind a nearby oak, run over to us, and start jumping on our shoes, and at one point, climbing up our pant legs. After the officials left, we walked and measured the holes, and one of the squirrels stuck with us the whole walk, probably a distance of 1/4 mile. Then we decided to walk through again and throw putters [the holes are fairly short], and the little guy was on our heels again. Finally at hole #5 he seemed to stop and look around [we were a ways from his "home" tree]. He let me pick him up and haul him back to his sibling, who then wanted to tussle, but he was having none of it.
They were both munching contentedly on the bumper crop of acorns when I checked on them before leaving.

Last edited:
So he does, and putts and hits chains just to the left of the pole, beautiful putt. And what does the blowfly do but drop in the cage, then THROUGH the cage and sits down perfectly on the ground with no roll out directly beneath the undamaged Discatcher cage. The dude just turns and looks at us with his jaw dropped like "did that really just happen" and I don't recall busting out laughing, but just standing there like wait, did that actually happen? Anyways, dude makes the drop in without the disc dropping through the cage again and we go on to the next hole.

I know it's not the rules discussion, but through the basket (as described) is a make isn't it?

Latest posts