• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funny on-course true stories

That reminds me of something that happened to my friend this winter at Birds Ruins.

Birds has a 19th hole that plays over the river, decently downhill. Guy drives with something OS and leaves it short, so it hyzer skips to our left on the ice; we both stopped watching. But a couple seconds later we see the disc moving past us, left to right, on the ice on the river. The disc was spinning on the ice, with the edge of the disc facing us, the top of the flight plate facing our right. There was such a strong wind on the river that the disc just kept going, and going, and going...it ended up out in the pond/lake by the basket for hole 7, a couple hundred feet off shore. I didn't measure, but it had to have traveled 1000+ ft on the ice. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen, especially given that it was initially going the other direction.

Arboretum / Spiker Park in Canton, Ohio is known for its **** water. It's absolutely disgusting. In the summer when its hot you can smell the stench 80' from the water. There's literally a meter's worth of goose **** and dead fish in there. It's not unusual to see the bloated carcass of a dead raccoon floating around....

So hole #10 there is a bomber, ~700' from an elevated teepad into an open field, with the pin 20' in front of the stink water. I forget exactly how it went down, but from what I remember we're all throwing our upshots, and someone's goes in the water and Mike's dog tries to jump in after it.

This was right after I got my first smart phone, it was that long ago. Here's a pic I snapped when they were trying to get her out. I laughed so hard when she shook off all that **** water on everyone and I was clear on the other side keepin dry.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Playing doubles RIPT with 3 teams at Timmons and just reached hole 17 up by one stroke. I step up to the pad first and dude on another team interrupts my run up with "I'm supposed to hand you this card". I stop, grab the card and hand it back to him saying "you're supposed to wait until after the throw to show 'the interupter' card, see it says here at the bottom."
He looks down confused at the card since he didn't bring his reading glasses, and I take that brief quiet pause in his interrupting to huck an OH FBird that hits just enough leaf to drop right in the basket for an ace.

Two pages of funny stories, two pages of rules discussions :D

I once won a tournament by one throw because my buddy's disc fell through the basket. I also lost the NorCal championships by one throw because my disc fell through an old basket. The fall-through caused a tie score with Pete Sontag and then I lost in the playoff.

I'm even with those kind of shots.

I often play overly cautious around water, but here's a story of things going wrong.

300'-ish hole (18 at Palmetto Bay Village Center in South Florida) with water on the right and between the tee and basket. There's an open, straight-at-it line, but you're carrying water the whole way and I wasn't real confident in my backhand at the time. The left is fairly open, so I typically forego a real chance at a two by throwing an overstable driver RHFH to get pin high with a simple enough approach. Unfortunately, this time I yank it way left and hit a palm tree that I didn't even consider to be in play. I get a 90 degree pinball kick that sends my disc straight into the water that I was trying to avoid.

Of course I'm just watching amazed after the kick, and then gradually realize I'm going to lose one of my "old faithfuls." Not so! It lands perfectly flat with an air bubble underneath, so the disc is just sitting there 30-40' from the edge (which is a concrete wall at least 3' above the water surface, with little ladders every so often to help people get out). If it would have sunk, I'd have left it, as the sun was starting to go down and I had seen the local crocodile (6-7 footer) hanging out on the other end of the lake. BUT it's just floating there taunting me... I can't see the crocodile. No one is around, and my car is pretty close, so I strip down to my "swim trunks" and jump in. I get the disc, throw it back to land, and then remember how fast gators and crocodiles can swim underwater. Needless to say, my 100' swim to the ladder was one of the fastest of my career. Glad I didn't lose the disc, but it's probably one of the stupider things I've done on a disc golf course.

I like to think I've learned something, but just yesterday I retrieved a disc from a creek that apparently has water moccasins. Disc golf may just be the death of me...

Arboretum / Spiker Park in Canton, Ohio is known for its **** water. It's absolutely disgusting. In the summer when its hot you can smell the stench 80' from the water. There's literally a meter's worth of goose **** and dead fish in there. It's not unusual to see the bloated carcass of a dead raccoon floating around....

So hole #10 there is a bomber, ~700' from an elevated teepad into an open field, with the pin 20' in front of the stink water. I forget exactly how it went down, but from what I remember we're all throwing our upshots, and someone's goes in the water and Mike's dog tries to jump in after it.

This was right after I got my first smart phone, it was that long ago. Here's a pic I snapped when they were trying to get her out. I laughed so hard when she shook off all that **** water on everyone and I was clear on the other side keepin dry.

We have a liquid manure pit on the farm that is probably 50 feet in diameter, my brother had a five month old lab pup and an open truck door... (yeah, i know, not a disc golf story)

I've spent way too much time digging thru similar threads trying to find the "My Life" story. I tried to tell a friend about it, but couldn't remember the details.
This feels as good a place as any to ask for help. Who has the link? :popcorn:

We have a liquid manure pit on the farm that is probably 50 feet in diameter, my brother had a five month old lab pup and an open truck door... (yeah, i know, not a disc golf story)

Old friend known for hosting Easter festivities with rabbit being the meat for the meal; hosted at his farm one year. 18 hole, very fun object course planned out ahead of time. Quite some beverages consumed during the day. An errant throw of my goes in into the liquid manure pit. PLAY IT WHERE IT LIES! :) I had to be hosed down after that hole!

Playing a tourney in Madison, WI, years ago. Warming up with Barry Schultz (just by circumstance). Throw a disc into the trees. We look for while, can't find it, Barry just shrugs his shoulders and gives me an "oh well" look. Play the entire tourney round. Finish last hole; which ends up in the same spot; and the wind blows said disc out of the trees almost right in front of me....

A few weeks ago my friend and I played and a guy who was just hanging around asked if he could join us. "Sure," we replied. He then told us how he always plays the blue tees, we told him to go right ahead as we would play the fronts, like always. He said, "I'll play with you guys." Okay, no problem. He proceeded to throw 150 foot noob hyzers all day, playing from the fronts with us and talked incessantly about the wind, picking the right disc for the right shot, his form, etc. Painful. We get to 17 and he says, "Hey guys, I've been playing the short tees all day but for these last two I really gotta play from the back, it's killing me to play from up there." My friend and I just stared at each other like, what did he say? Well, he played from the back and barely made it past the short tees on both of his drives. It was crazy. He seemed delusional about his ability. We normally play two rounds but made up an excuse to leave, drove to another course and played there to get away from the guy. It's okay to not be good, most of us aren't, but don't be a buffoon.

I think I may know this guy. :|

I didn't have anything particularly hilarious until today. Hole 9 at the valley, threw the spike hyzer route. Set my beer down and putt.

Halfway through the flight I realize it's a **** putt, and I say so. The disc bounces off the basket, does the death wobble on edge, rolls about 50' down and then turns an arc about 20' left and *clink* knocks my ****in beer over perfectly. I learned my lesson, I won't talk **** about my disc anymore.

We all nearly died with laughter.

So I'm playing in a doubles tournament and my partner throws a Thumber and spends about 5 minutues looking for it until he realizes that it is in the basket. We would go on to win @-12. The best part: it was a tye-dye Groove!

I thought this too but couldn't find it in writing.

I really thought this was the case as well, but I only see rules about discs going through the cage into the basket. It logically makes sense that if going into the basket through the cage doesn't mean you're in that going out through the cage doesn't mean you're out, but the rules do not state this. I think this may be a good question to ask and get an answer on. I think by strict letter of the law it's not in, but I by think extending the other rule you could argue it should be in.

I really thought this was the case as well, but I only see rules about discs going through the cage into the basket. It logically makes sense that if going into the basket through the cage doesn't mean you're in that going out through the cage doesn't mean you're out, but the rules do not state this. I think this may be a good question to ask and get an answer on. I think by strict letter of the law it's not in, but I by think extending the other rule you could argue it should be in.

No. Rules aren't written to account for equipment failure nor should they be. If a disc enters the target properly but fall out of the target rather than come to rest within it, then either the target or the disc are faulty/broken. The rules don't and shouldn't account for either case. The solution is to fix the target or use a different disc, not create or extrapolate a rule for it.

No. Rules aren't written to account for equipment failure nor should they be. If a disc enters the target properly but fall out of the target rather than come to rest within it, then either the target or the disc are faulty/broken. The rules don't and shouldn't account for either case. The solution is to fix the target or use a different disc, not create or extrapolate a rule for it.

The rules already account for equipment failure, then. If a soft disc going in through the cage is equipment failure, then a disc going out through that means is the same. We're not discussing a damaged cage here, that's not what the story is about. But a ridiculously soft disc is allowed by PDGA rules, and it's bendability doesn't mean it's faulty equipment. I just have to think that if the rules say a disc that goes into the basket through the cage did not enter the basket properly, then a disc exiting by that same means did not exit properly. And if the rules grant an exception for one, they should grant it for the other.

But the rules currently do not grant that exception for that, so a putt that manages to slip through the cage doesn't count as holing out.

The rules already account for equipment failure, then. If a soft disc going in through the cage is equipment failure, then a disc going out through that means is the same. We're not discussing a damaged cage here, that's not what the story is about. But a ridiculously soft disc is allowed by PDGA rules, and it's bendability doesn't mean it's faulty equipment. I just have to think that if the rules say a disc that goes into the basket through the cage did not enter the basket properly, then a disc exiting by that same means did not exit properly. And if the rules grant an exception for one, they should grant it for the other.

But the rules currently do not grant that exception for that, so a putt that manages to slip through the cage doesn't count as holing out.

I think you're correct. Logically it makes sense.

So I'm playing in a doubles tournament and my partner throws a Thumber and spends about 5 minutues looking for it until he realizes that it is in the basket. We would go on to win @-12. The best part: it was a tye-dye Groove!

You had me going until you said it was a Groove.

Latest posts