• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

This makes more sense, now!

picture.php

bump.

Didn't the Wizard win "disc of the year" award when it was released? I feel like I've heard that but can't recall...

I've been carrying 3 lately:

1) Driving Wizard - G Series or Organic blends for tee shots on short holes and wooded approach shots

2) Approaching Wizard - RFF for soft landings (especially towards baskets with precarious placements)

3) Putting Wizard - Eraser, Organic, $$$ blends...they're all great for approaches inside 200' and jump putts

What other Gateway putter would be most close to a Wizard but without the bead?

Warlocks are supposed to be beadless Wizards, and Voodoos have a micro bead and are supposed to fly like broken in Wizards.

If you want a Voodoo or two to try, let me know.

Last edited:
^ That was exactly what I was getting at. To me, Voodoos feel more like Wizards in their sweet spot. I couldn't get on board wit the Warlock feel, even though the flight was fresh Wizard goodness.

I carry a SSS Wizard and Voodoo, with the Wiz as my primary putter. I've tried many others including a brief affair with the Judge. I always come back to the Wizard.

Anyone try the G18 plastic? What would you compare it to as far as tack and firmness?

I'm looking for something a little less firmer than KC but has nice tack like a yeti or JK.

Anyone try the G18 plastic? What would you compare it to as far as tack and firmness?

I'm looking for something a little less firmer than KC but has nice tack like a yeti or JK.

The G18 Wizard I have is about a firm(ish) soft.. and a bit tackier than my ER Wizards.. It's not as firm as any KC Pro I've fondled (but I only really throw KCP Rocs), and haven't touched a new yeti or jk.

I am interested in wizards and want to pick up a few. I used to use voodoos and a friend let me have his lot years ago; organic, SSS, ss, soft, but it's been a while so I don't remember the plastic. I still have my OG bubblegum voodoo that I believe is super stupid soft and I like it.

I use judges now with good success; lucid, fluid, classic, classic blend and classic soft. I like them but I think I'm gonna flirt with the devil and try some Wizards...

What plastic wizard is comparable to classic blend from Dynamic? I'm looking for a blend that is grippy/tacky/chalky but firm, not rock hard like DDs Classic unless it's super grippy and sticks to the chains. I prefer a slight give when my thumb presses in but not floppy overall.

Any help would be appreciated before I can make it to the local shops, they don't have the full array of what gateway offers anyway. I have no idea what G18 and RFF and Eraser blends are like. And whatever else is available.

Side note, I have fossil fuel scales which I enjoy. I almost would like it to be a little bit more tacky, but I think the firmness is perfect if that helps at all.

:popcorn:

I think I would look at Supersofts if I were you. Erasers feel nice, but they soften pretty fast. The 18 in G18 refers to how it would rate in the flex test. Aside from the G9i, the smaller the number, the softer the plastic.

If you're looking to pick up five or six (or more) to give it a real try, you can call/email Gateway directly and tell them exactly the feel you want, and they'll match it.

I think I would look at Supersofts if I were you. Erasers feel nice, but they soften pretty fast. The 18 in G18 refers to how it would rate in the flex test. Aside from the G9i, the smaller the number, the softer the plastic.

If you're looking to pick up five or six (or more) to give it a real try, you can call/email Gateway directly and tell them exactly the feel you want, and they'll match it.

That Nikko signed super soft I posted a pic of above is not very soft though. It just feels like DX to me? So there is G9i and G18, or did I make that one up... :doh:

I know there are other G-blends out there, but I stopped buying them after stocking up on G9is. I've found that Gateway starts firmer and softens fairly quickly before settling into its feel. If I were you, I would contact them directly and tell them what you want. When I was testing blends to find the one that worked best for me, they never failed to send exactly what I asked for.

Or you could go to the Wizard Warehouse here in the marketplace and get Andrew to hand pick some for you! Shameless plug for a great seller who got me hooked on wizards, made me kick judges like a bad habits