• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I'm trying to ask a question without sounding like an ass because I'm actually curious, but when I read the question typed out it looks like I'm to be an ass. So not to be an ass but...what other kind of putts are you taking? :confused:

Not to be an ass, but what kind of putts do you take when you're well outside of circle 2? I would love to know the secret behind a 60+ foot dead straight laser beam putt.

Hyzer putts?

This.

Not to be an ass, but what kind of putts do you take when you're well outside of circle 2? I would love to know the secret behind a 60+ foot dead straight laser beam putt.

This.
Oh, Ok. It's semantics.

Here's my thing; I'm old and I've done this a long time. "Well outside circle 2?" In my mind those are not putts and I don't call that putting. I use a putter for that shot, but it's an approach shot left high enough that I have a low % chance that it might go in if I'm lucky because I can't putt from 60'. If I added all my "desperation flailing upshot on a anny line hopping it gets that far AND fades back into the chains" shots to my perception of how my putting is going, I'd always feel bad about my putting.

I get that you can go on Jomez and watch guys hit 60' putts, but I watched Tyler O'Neill hit a ball out of Wrigley yesterday and that didn't change my perception of how far I can hit a baseball (which at this stage of my life is "lucky to clear the infield"). That those guys are hitting 60' putts doesn't change the fact that I can't.

But as has been described in other threads, I'm a not-very-good player who has come to grips with my not-very-goodness and have stopped fighting it. So I'm never going to hit 60' putts. If you want to try to be a player that is going to hit 60' putts, you can't have my mindset.

What I consider putting is about 35' and about 80% of it is run right at it straight-line putting. In what I'm perceiving is your bag setup, I'd consider that Voodoo my go-to putting putter. The Wizard would be more of an approach/short drive disc. So that's all; you described what I consider the majority of my putts like it's a specialty situation. I was like "you mean 80% of your putts?" Semantics, carry on.

Oh, Ok. It's semantics.

Here's my thing; I'm old and I've done this a long time. "Well outside circle 2?" In my mind those are not putts and I don't call that putting. I use a putter for that shot, but it's an approach shot left high enough that I have a low % chance that it might go in if I'm lucky because I can't putt from 60'. If I added all my "desperation flailing upshot on a anny line hopping it gets that far AND fades back into the chains" shots to my perception of how my putting is going, I'd always feel bad about my putting.

I get that you can go on Jomez and watch guys hit 60' putts, but I watched Tyler O'Neill hit a ball out of Wrigley yesterday and that didn't change my perception of how far I can hit a baseball (which at this stage of my life is "lucky to clear the infield"). That those guys are hitting 60' putts doesn't change the fact that I can't.

But as has been described in other threads, I'm a not-very-good player who has come to grips with my not-very-goodness and have stopped fighting it. So I'm never going to hit 60' putts. If you want to try to be a player that is going to hit 60' putts, you can't have my mindset.

What I consider putting is about 35' and about 80% of it is run right at it straight-line putting. In what I'm perceiving is your bag setup, I'd consider that Voodoo my go-to putting putter. The Wizard would be more of an approach/short drive disc. So that's all; you described what I consider the majority of my putts like it's a specialty situation. I was like "you mean 80% of your putts?" Semantics, carry on.

So you don't throw your putters at any sort've angle when you're not within 10-20 feet?

So you don't throw your putters at any sort've angle when you're not within 10-20 feet?
I mean if I'm in the shule or behind a big tree I can't straddle around then you have to get creative, but that happens a couple times a round. Most of the time when I putting I can get a clear line and I'm just running right at the basket.

No sure anyone should take putting advice from a guy named Three Putt. Just saying.

(Unless it's one of those ironic things like calling a guy with no left arm Lefty.)

No sure anyone should take putting advice from a guy named Three Putt. Just saying.

(Unless it's one of those ironic things like calling a guy with no left arm Lefty.)
I know, right?

Basically he asked "what kind of putts do you take when you're well outside of circle 2?" I don't take putts from outside circle 2. If I'm that far back, I'm throwing at the basket. I can't get to the basket with a putting motion from back there. I could fling the putt up in the air and try to get it to ride that far, but I'm going to lose more strokes doing something like that, screwing it up and missing the long comeback than if I just try to range a throw at the basket. I know there are all sorts of videos of people like Nikko knocking down 60'+ putts, but I'm not Nikko. :|

Local shop had some Nylon Wizards in. Hadn't felt this blend before but in my opinion they are some of the better Wizards Gateway has put out in recent time.

Lower profile, relatively flat on the top with a low shoulder. Probably in the area of SS flex. Great feeling texture/grip.

What kind of flex do they have?

The Pencil and Eraser set Wizards are the standard stiff Eraser flex and the double stamped Wizard is a SSS eraser flex and it's superrrr bendy/flexible.

Just got these bad boys in today.. Organic Money Wizards

aImdWjw.jpg

Those look yummy. May I ask where you found those?

Gateway Underground's eBay store. They've been selling off pairs of OOP discs lately so check it out. gatewayunderground is the username.

EDIT: Will be selling the one of the right if anyone is interested.

Has anyone tried the latest run of SS? Looks like the newest suregrips all have a sleeker stamp and have thought about ordering some up

Just ordered the michael myers halloween wizards. Got a lunar and a SSS. Seems they have SS and SSS Glow as well.

May be getting rid of some sss , ss, and rff wizards soon. Keep an eye on the marketplace withing the next few weeks because.... Without warning, a wizard walks by.

719-A3-EF1-70-C3-4057-8-D77-566-F7-D65235-A.jpg

CABBFE44-4-E28-42-F2-98-D0-56-B807-B7-A1-FD.jpg

Got this off eBay and I am curious as to when this Stamp is from. I've only been around for about a year and a half and hadn't seen this particular one before. Also first time trying to post images so sorry if it doesn't work