• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

General form issues?!

Tfire25

Double Eagle Member
Ok I finished reading the 26 page "maxing out @ 300ft" thread yesterday. Ive been strong arming it for the year I have been playing but didn't consider it a problem cause I have fairly good aim and didn't even now there was anything wrong with my form. But I couldn't break 350 ft to save my life. Well last night after reading the posts and watching dan beato's video I threw flat footed rhbh 430 ft! Super freaking pumped!! My arm didn't even hurt. But I still have some issues and questions.
1. By the end of the round I was throwing 20-30ft right.( Maybe I was hot and tired in this Texas heat).
2. If I throw a surge ss or more under stable discs it was going about 150 ft flat and then just dive bombing anny into the ground. (maybe I need to throw hyzer flips with theese)
3. How do you power down? If I only wanna throw like 250; do I just not pull as hard from the power zone, reduce my reachback distance, or just right peck it, or other?
4. It seemed like all the over stable discs flew the same. Flat with just a different turn at the end. Surge, striker pretty similar but the boss, force, blizzard destroyer had like 20-30ft of left fade at the end. Is this how they are supposed to fly?
Thanx to everyone that posted on the maxing out thread, gamechanger.

1. Probably fatigue, or not being used to the new timings required with good technique, time will tell.
2. Could be they need more hyzer, or you're rolling your wrist, video would help. Either way, throwing with more hyzer will help, but it might just mask wrist roll if that's your problem.
3. Don't reach back as far, and don't pull through as fast.
4. Depends on the line you're throwing, and if you have the power for them. If you have the power for those discs, which really aren't overstable, they're stable, but fast, they'll turn right a bit for the beginning of the flight, then when they slow down begin to fade back left at the end. But yes, most stable discs will go mostly straight, maybe a little right at the beginning, then fade left at the end if you throw RHBH

Thanks guys! My question is if I was wrist rolling wouldn't it go anny right after the throw because it goes straight for awhile first? I'll try to get a vid up tonight but I've never posted a vid before but I'll try to post one to YouTube with my phone tonight with a link in here. I fixed my distance but now I gotta get the release point right..... I hope.

Not necessarily. You could be releasing with some hyzer but still rolling your wrist and delaying the turn.

Tfire, could you post the link to that 26 page thread? It sounds helpful and I can't find it using the search (I'm probably just using it wrong...). Thanks!

Ok I finished reading the 26 page "maxing out @ 300ft" thread yesterday. Ive been strong arming it for the year I have been playing but didn't consider it a problem cause I have fairly good aim and didn't even now there was anything wrong with my form. But I couldn't break 350 ft to save my life. Well last night after reading the posts and watching dan beato's video I threw flat footed rhbh 430 ft! Super freaking pumped!! My arm didn't even hurt. But I still have some issues and questions.
1. By the end of the round I was throwing 20-30ft right.( Maybe I was hot and tired in this Texas heat).
2. If I throw a surge ss or more under stable discs it was going about 150 ft flat and then just dive bombing anny into the ground. (maybe I need to throw hyzer flips with theese)
[COLOR="Red"[B][COLOR="Red"]3. How do you power down? If I only wanna throw like 250; do I just not pull as hard from the power zone, reduce my reachback distance, or just right peck it, or other?[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
4. It seemed like all the over stable discs flew the same. Flat with just a different turn at the end. Surge, striker pretty similar but the boss, force, blizzard destroyer had like 20-30ft of left fade at the end. Is this how they are supposed to fly?
Thanx to everyone that posted on the maxing out thread, gamechanger.

You don't power down, you throw a slower disc, i.e. a putter.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139
I don't know if that will work cause I'm doing all this off my phone. If it doesn't work it's the second post on the technique and strategy forum. It's called "technique sticky, read first" just select it and scroll down to another link called "maxing out at 300ft". It's super long and almost information overload the first time you read it, but I think everyone that wants to better their disc golf game should read it. I had to read it numerous times to get a good grasp of most of what they were saying because I just never thought about the mechanics of throwing. For the past year I have just thrown a disc at a metal basket and hoped I got lucky. Now I feel like I semi know why my disc does what it does and how to correct it. Ive hit 2 aces but almost feel like I shouldn't count them because it was such extreme luck. For example last night I felt like I was getting the new throw down and launched my disc at a 350 ft hole that is notoriously hard to even par because it's on the precipice of a hill. My disc flew slightly right of the basket, skipped off the dirt, hit chains and bounced out! I felt so much prouder of that throw because I threw it there on purpose instead of a fluke.

Lol. You know what I mean. But am I wrong? If I throw a putter or under stable disc with the same force as I'm throwing a over stable/high speed driver wont it just turn it over?

Lol. You know what I mean. But am I wrong? If I throw a putter or under stable disc with the same force as I'm throwing a over stable/high speed driver wont it just turn it over?

Not if you throw them correctly. Driving with putters is one of the best things you can do to help improve your form. Putters will also fly well over 300'. :popcorn:

Not if you throw them correctly. Driving with putters is one of the best things you can do to help improve your form. Putters will also fly well over 300'. :popcorn:

Yes, if the OP was asking about improving his driving form. What the OP was asking about is powering down for shots where you don't want max driving distance. How is throwing max power with a putter going to help that?

Damn it. I need to get a vid up. I'm obviously wrong on something. But then again how would a good throw (ie. no wrist roll) generate a hyzer flip on an under stable disc if there wasn't any turn over at high speed?

Damn it. I need to get a vid up. I'm obviously wrong on something. But then again how would a good throw (ie. no wrist roll) generate a hyzer flip on an under stable disc if there wasn't any turn over at high speed?

Understable discs will naturally turn assuming you get them up to their cruising speed(which I don't think you are). Otherwise you will have to compensate with rolling your wrist over or other torque over.

Yes, if the OP was asking about improving his driving form. What the OP was asking about is powering down for shots where you don't want max driving distance. How is throwing max power with a putter going to help that?

What part of "general form issues" doesn't this apply to? His 250' shot would be better served throwing a putter with "full power" or "hitting full clubs" rather than powering down on a driver. Another way to power down is to loosen the grip, but I find that harder to aim.

Understable discs will naturally turn assuming you get them up to their cruising speed(which I don't think you are). Otherwise you will have to compensate with rolling your wrist over or other torque over.

So if I a good rip on an understable disc it will stay flat but drift right, or will it turn into an anny and go right?

So if I a good rip on an understable disc it will stay flat but drift right, or will it turn into an anny and go right?

If you release it on a hyzer angle it will flip up to flat and turn depending on the power and under-stability. You typically don't want to release an under-stable disc flat unless you roll some under torque, or it will likely end up a roller.

What part of "general form issues" doesn't this apply to? His 250' shot would be better served throwing a putter with "full power" or "hitting full clubs" rather than powering down on a driver. Another way to power down is to loosen the grip, but I find that harder to aim.

Ok, let me see if I'm understanding. If I throw the same everytime( working on it but hard) all discs will have the same direct flight path. Straight with a little fade to the left with rhbh. Just throwing a slower speed disc makes the disc not go as far? This confuses me. Because " clubbing down" doesn't really take the right turn/fade into account. Or am I way off base? :wall: