• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Germ-X Hand Sanitizer

cfair

* Ace Member *
I don't believe the equipment section is just for discs or bags. How about something you should consider carrying?

I don't recommend Germ-X Hand Sanitizer because it keeps hands clean. Frankly I don't care. But I do recommend it because we are outside in overgrown areas often and Poison Ivy and Poison Oak are abound.

Last year I was a spotter at the Discraft Great Lakes Open on the Monster hole of the Monster course. It was a tight fairway grown up in foliage all around and every bad shot went into woods with deep Michigan underbrush. There were 3 of us spotters for the one hole and we had the hell beat out of us. My wife and I realized after a couple of groups that we had been in poison ivy the whole time. I am horribly allergic to the stuff (scars to prove it) and had resigned to just go get a steroid shot as soon as possible.

However when we came back for lunch I mentioned it to on of the TDs and he pulled out a big pump bottle of Germ-X and said "Have no fear, relief is here" (mind you he was a large man in a kilt). Said he was really allergic too and learned that the alcohol in the hand sanitize dries out the allergens in the oil on Poisonous to touch plants. We scrubbed down in it and again after the second round. I decided at the first sign of bumps I would go to the doctor but SUCCESS! No poison ivy and now I carry germ-x with me everywhere.

(I post this because I actually have a small case now and germ-x is helping treat it better than anything else I've ever tried. IvyRest, Calomine, and a bunch of other stuff aren't as good as germ-x.)

Germ x is really bad for your skin and I'm not sure it would help in cases where you get a lot of poison on you

I carry hand sanitizer because it is really handy at getting pine sap off your hands/discs.

It rubs the lotion on its skin, or it gets the poison ivy again?

^lol :hfive:

I don't carry Germ-X, but I do carry alcohol based handiwipe hand sanitizer cloth thingies, for the same reason.

I got into some poison ivy a couple of days ago, used one of those wipes, and it kept me from getting it all over my arm and hands...I must have missed a small spot though, because I've got a small bit on one of my fingers; however, it's no where near as bad as it could have been. :thmbup:

My wife got poison ivy on her wrist and started putting rubbing alcohol on it to treat it. It caused the rash to develop into nasty sores that got infected. She had to go to the doc and get antibiotics and the doc told her the worst thing you can do with poison ivy is put alcohol on it. Your skin has natural oils that help block out the majority of the poison ivy. The alcohol disolves those oils, which opens the door for the poison ivy oils to come in.

My wife got poison ivy on her wrist and started putting rubbing alcohol on it to treat it. It caused the rash to develop into nasty sores that got infected. She had to go to the doc and get antibiotics and the doc told her the worst thing you can do with poison ivy is put alcohol on it. Your skin has natural oils that help block out the majority of the poison ivy. The alcohol disolves those oils, which opens the door for the poison ivy oils to come in.

^ :confused: I am so conflicted now. I have heard great results from people using Germ-X for poison ivy, but what you said makes sense, I don't know what to do now! :confused:

Ill keep a small botle of Germ-X in my bag just to clean my hands for one reason or another, but for ivy, Ill use TECNU that stuff is the bomb.

^ :confused: I am so conflicted now. I have heard great results from people using Germ-X for poison ivy, but what you said makes sense, I don't know what to do now! :confused:

Maybe it's good as a preventitive measure but once you get sores, DO NOT put alcohol on them. I personally don't worry about it and if I get a rash I just put a little Cortizone 10 on it and it knocks it out quick with no itch.

I'm a fan of clorox wipes. Pretty much serves the same purpose as the Germ-x and alcohol...an astringent to cut the poison ivy oils. It works for me, so I'm sticking with it.

THANK YOU ZENBOT!!!! (and woodcutter!!!!)

every time I see any thread about anything poisonous, I am suprised that I am the first to scream TECNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Jump on the bandwagon folks, Tecnu will save your life.

The problem with Tecnu is it costs like $50.00. I'd rather itch for six weeks than pay $50.00 for a small tube of anything. Think of the plastic you could buy.

I honestly don't recommend alcohol based things for your skin regardless of whether or not it gets the poison ivy off. The best treatment is to immediately rinse your arm off with COLD water. Warm water will open up your pores and the let the ivy in.

Latest posts