• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get the ball golf terms out of disc golf

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Maybe not worthy of a thread, but here goes.

When I watch commented footage of disc golf, it always strikes me as wrong when I hear ball golf terms like "hole" and "tap in' used. I know there are other golf terms that get used, but those are the two that come to mind.

"Basket" or "drop-in" would be better.

Ok, I feel better.

FORE! is one that should be used, cause even non DGers should know to duck...

..."I should have yelled two"

So....... do we have to quit using fairway, rough, green, tee, stroke, etc? I see what you're saying but it's hard to get away from ball golf when dg rules are eerily similar to bg.
I've also met MANY people who have no clue what dg is but when I compare it to ball golf they at least get the general thought of what I'm doing

I kinda feel like these terms are a necessary evil. I mean, the game is called disc golf, and most common explanations of it refer to it as similar to golf in its concepts. Making it easy to relate to makes it more accessible, therefore more popular.

it always strikes me as wrong when I hear ball golf terms like "hole" and "tap in' used.

I tap in to pole holes all the time. It's not quite PDGA approved, but it works in casual rounds.

Are we going to play 18 baskets of golf?

I guess, but tap in? that is literal in ball golf, not in dg. Stroke, mentioned earlier, is another.

I don't have a problem with rough, or fairway, because it is accurate.

Just a pet peeve, based on a dislike of traditional golf culture I guess.

While the games are a bit different I don't think they merit using distinct vernacular, so I can't buy the OP.

Use of hole v. basket takes on broader context than simply the target we're aiming for. We also use "hole" to refer to a unique and specific segment of the course (meaning a given tee, fairway and green taken as a complete entity), as in, "I was playing hole 3, when... "

Saying "I was playing basket 3" just don't work.

Just embrace the fact that we call it disc golf and that we can sponge of a existing vocabulary that works well. Just don't refer to discs as balls, and we'll be just fine.

Find something more peeveworthy.

Last edited:
Stroke is the only one that kinda annoys me, but lets be reasonable here... do we really want DG to end up like Cricket.. where no-one knows what the hell you're talking about when you use the terminology? Embrace the fact that DG comes from golf, because it makes it that much easier to explain. If we take away the golf terminology we are pushing ourselves even further away from the mainstream.

When I started this guy would say "Nice ball" for any good shot. Who cares? There's some spillover from our bolf roots.

It's like yelling at Muggles when they call your discs "Frisbees".

bcda8fd01f8a1f8637145564177415941666f41.jpg

"Stroke" is already incorrect. It's never been a word used in the rule book. The problem with using "basket" is that's just part of the "target" and holing out is an official term used for completing the hole where the disc can end up in the chains and not in the basket. In foot golf I believe they call "holes" "sections" even though the soccer ball actually ends up in a hole.

In the tournament videos I watch I see that they actually do drop a disc in. At my local course, if I put one under the basket I "tap in" the disc inside of the cage before walking on to the next "hole."

Disc golf has always been, and will always remain, a derivative of golf.

Embrace our differences, respect our roots.

Let me rephrase:

There are a few literal terms in ball golf that sound nonsensical when applied to disc golf: hole(actual hole, not the broader 9 hole 18 hole sense), tap-in, stroke.

Birdie, fairway, rough, etc. these are all good.

Cabin fever must be getting to me....