• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get the ball golf terms out of disc golf

I don't mind golf terms but if I were to change something I would call the tee box a launch pad, since we don't stick little wooden tees in the ground.

I have a feeling all the padbird enthusiasts might object though

Maybe not worthy of a thread, but here goes.

When I watch commented footage of disc golf, it always strikes me as wrong when I hear ball golf terms like "hole" and "tap in' used. I know there are other golf terms that get used, but those are the two that come to mind.

"Basket" or "drop-in" would be better.

Ok, I feel better.

Hate to break it to you, but disc golf...is golf. Same sport, different equipment.

For the most part, golf references are OK, but "green" still bother's me as DG doesn't use a specifically defined verdant area demarked by a different sort of vegetation.

Why do some disc-golfers strive to be so terminally unique? If they succeed in being so unique, they'll only end up coming of as snobbish and off putting as the ball golfers they make fun of.

Our game is derived from a bunch of guys who once threw Frisbee's at trees in a golf like manner.

I have no problem with the crossover terminologies, if anything, it helps those new to the sport transition easier.

I have been wanting to comment on this for a while!

We have separated some DG terms from BG terms already, we use "hyzer", "anhyer" and "turn" instead of slice and hook. They more accurately describe what occurs in our game.

We don't need to get rid of all BG terms, tee, fairway, rough, drive, putt, all are equally descriptive in both sports and help with the transition to DG.

BUT, when you use "tap-in" in DG it sounds like you have to tap the basket or the chains before dropping it in. You aren't tapping anything with your disc. If you are close enought to drop the putt in, then it is a "drop in". If you aren't close enough then it is a putt or a short putt.

I would say that the reason there are Ball Golf terms in Disc Golf is because maybe before disc golf, ball golf was just called golf so the terms are there so we use GOLF terms... "Tap in" is used because you are close but, I can see where this term doesn't work for disc golf because you aren't hitting anything with an object that you swing. Green I think should continue to be used, fairway, rough and everything all fine. Hole vs. Basket... this can be rather controversial in the way that ok, the basket is the object you are throwing at but the... (trying to come up for another word for hole) is how you have to throw at the basket... see it has to be called hole because that is how golf works, it is a GOLF term not a Ball Golf term.

For the most part, golf references are OK, but "green" still bother's me as DG doesn't use a specifically defined verdant area demarked by a different sort of vegetation.

Isn't it referred to as "the Circle" as well?

I don't mind golf terms but if I were to change something I would call the tee box a launch pad, since we don't stick little wooden tees in the ground.

I have a feeling all the padbird enthusiasts might object though

:thmbup: Launch pad sounds awesome lets do this!

I've never understood all the hate for ball golf coming from disc golfers. After all, if we didn't have ball golf, we wouldn't have disc golf. The terms, although derived from a slightly different sport, are still perfectly acceptable. I don't see a need to create an entirely new set of terminology just because we're throwing frisbees instead of swinging sticks.

I've never understood all the hate for ball golf coming from disc golfers. After all, if we didn't have ball golf, we wouldn't have disc golf. The terms, although derived from a slightly different sport, are still perfectly acceptable. I don't see a need to create an entirely new set of terminology just because we're throwing frisbees instead of swinging sticks.
But we already have terms developed for DG, in addition to my other examples, there is "up-shot", "mid-range", and "pull". So we've already developed our own wordage. They are more desciptive.

"TAP" out -- "DROP" in
"TAP" out -- "DROP" in

I would contend that even if there was no golf, we would almost certainly still have DG. It would just have its own terms and discussions like this could be avoided altogether. If golf never existed someone somewhere would still have thrown a pie tin or plastic plate or lid or whatever, and the frisbee would probably still have been invented. Someone would probably have still decided to throw a frisbee at "that tree over there" and years later disc golf would probably still have been formalized as an actual game/sport unto itself.

If you don't like "tap-in" or "green" or any of the other perfectly valid and well-understood terms, don't use them. I promise the TD won't stroke you for it. :cool:

I don't know about all of the hate, but some of it comes from the way ball golf has historicly treated disc golf. They use to dismiss us at best, and insult/ridicule us at worst. Ball golf is tanking now though, and disc golf is on the rise, so they're catching on.

I think we need to lose our inferiority complex in relation to golf.

I agree, and not only in the relation to golf. This thread reminds me of the other threads about the need to get DG in to the Olympics, or on to ESPN all the time. Like we're going to love playing this game so much more if that happens.

^It's the very American idea of striving to be normal.

I think Disc Sports deserve to be in the Olympics, But dealing with the IOC? Guh...

I embrace Golf (Ball). Many, many lessons can be learned from Golf, ESPECIALLY about etiquette, sportsmanship and how to act like a gentleman while on the course(Guilty myself at times) . Here's one for ya...our sport is called DISC GOLF :doh:

Last edited: