• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get the ball golf terms out of disc golf

You approach "Hole 1" (A vast majority of our fairways are, or lead in to, a hole cut out of the woods).
As you take the "Tee" (I'll explain in a second), you assess the "Fairway" (nothing wrong with that). Raising your disc, you mentally "stroke" the line between you and the "pin" (a euphemistic description of a steel pole in the ground). Decided, you take your "shot". With a powerful uncoiling, you "snap" off a crushing "hyzer" (both ours), you body taking the shape of a "T" (therefore the term Teeing Off). Your "stroke" (the imaginary equation of a variable: desired flight shape, and a constant: what a particular disc does), now executed physically, sails along the "fairway".
Hoping to miss the "rough" (cuz its rough from there!), you "park" your drive.
(*shule. Is that also from ball golf?) Stoked (common slang), you wait for your associates to take their second "strokes". One poor soul clipped an "Iron Leaf" (methinks that a Climo original) early on and now he's "shooting" 3 from one-eighty (euphemism for throw).
The rest of your "card" (fine) "hole-out" (the completion of the tee-to-basket exercise takes place, as stated earlier, in a hole cut in the woods. You finish and get out. That's what she said). And finally, it is your turn. Your disc is literally "tombstoned" (ours) three feet to the right of the pin (pole in the ground, remember?).
You mark your "lie" (you get it), and with go-to "putter" in hand you line up your "birdie" (screw you, ball golf, scoring terms are public domain!) "stroke".
Wait a minute. You're so close, this is just a simple "tap-in" "putt". (Tap-in adj. : In casual or informal rounds of Disc Golf, prior to the completion of a designated "hole", a players final "stroke" requires them to simply reach out with their flying disc and touch the center support pole of the basket apparatus)
Without thought, you toss your "putter" at the chains. Oh, folly! You catch a freak "air-bounce" (that's gotta be frisbee culture!) and just clip "strong-side" (us) chains!
And then you roll.
Down, down, down into a creekbed you go. Its muddy, but casual. And the overgrown "shule" that you've come to rest behind puts you in jail. You have no real hope of saving three down here.
Resolved, you take your awkward footing, line up an "anny" (short for anhyzer...ours) you hope clears the grasping brush and execute.
Aw, what the $h!t...You hear the facemask, knell of doom in the quiet sorrow as your disc comes...rolling...back...
down.
Down here.
Down here where the "Bogeys" live.

As pertains to "Putt"

It is commonly accepted that golf, ball golf as we know it, originated in Scotland during the Middle Ages. Here is the entirely fabricated true story.
Dooley MacFergus, a Scotsman of 1527 ad, was a blacksmith by trade. A mountain of a man, all burn scars and sinew, hair and stench, Dooley and his clan lived in the Highlands, where he worked the coals and pounded the iron day and night. His wife, a woman only slightly less described as Dooley himself, had bore him three dense and hairy sons, and they all worked the coals and pounded the iron with him.
And so it was.
Until the three nights of the new moon. Then, they celebrated. From the first dusk preceding it until the dawn of its fading, the MacFergus' competed with clans from neighboring villages in a game of sport. Victory would bring food and wine, meat and ale. Failure brought...(well it too brought food and wine, meat and ale. Pretty much everyone got ****faced)
MacFergus loved this game. It was a game of stone-throwing, each competitor hurling their stone towards a marked spot somewhere on the landscape. They counted how many throws it took one to reach, or "Put it" on that spot. Then they would throw towards a different marked spot. Over and over, for three days. And for three days, the Highland air would resound with the drunken bellowing of men, cheering on the competitors...
"Ach, ye wee sissy! Jus' PUT it! PUT IT!"
"Can ye nae put it?"
Putt: derived from the idea of putting something somewhere

Sidenote: The game of ball golf originated when a... delicate man from the city came to the MacFergus land one day during the New Moon and saw the game they played. Intrigued and slightly sickened by the grunting hairy exertion, he suggested perhaps their game would be better played by taking their stones and making them smaller balls( perhaps something one could hold in their hand?), and introducing the idea of slender rod, (maybe with a head on the end), to whack these balls around for awhile. Maybe dig little holes in the ground to catch the balls?
MacFergus said "Ach, ye talk about balls and sticks too much, y'wee sissy! Piss off!" The man from the city sniffed once and rode away.
MacFergus and the others returned to their game. None of them ever invented ball golf.

^^^I read that it's a Saddam Hussein going from bunker to bunker.

I guess that's old gen/new gen sort of thing.

I agree w joecoin; we need to use golf terms more, not less (just the appropriate ones). I like gimmee instead of tap-in for easy putts, much better!

I thought golf was invented by a hobbit who struck the head off an orc in battle with a club. The orc's head sailed across the battlefield and landed in a rabbit hole.

Or maybe Tolkien just made that up

I agree w joecoin; we need to use golf terms more, not less (just the appropriate ones). I like gimmee instead of tap-in for easy putts, much better!

Agree 100%... I play ball golf as well as most local people do so golf lingo is golf lingo, ball or disc.

^^^I read that it's a Saddam Hussein going from bunker to bunker.

I guess that's old gen/new gen sort of thing.

Well, Hitler shot himself in a bunker. So I think one shot in a bunker should be a Hitler.

Had to laugh - someone posted this on reddit, a new disc golf set they're selling at Target:

MaHUuQK.jpg

Complete with one disc golf driver, 1 disc golf putter, and 1 disc golf iron.

Are we supposed to stop calling "birdies" and "bogies" what they are? How about "par"?
I think not

I'm not sure the terms "birdies" and "bogies" even make sense in golf.

Truly, if you look take a hard look at the terminology in almost any sport, you can conclude that some of it doesn't make a lot of sense. Lord knows, baseball is chock full of them.

In the NFL owners meeting they are working hard to rid football of all the rugby terminology.