• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get the ball golf terms out of disc golf

Keep yer monkeypaws off muh hole!

From now on a "ball" in regards to not a strike in baseball, shall be known as "non strike", and a walk shall now be called a light jog, or in more upity areas, a pleasant stroll.

Seriously...of all the things on these forums, and in the world, this is what you choose to bitch about.

But can we still quote Caddyshack when we are playing?

"Ahoy polloi, where did you come from, a scotch ad?'

images

Isn't "pin" a golf term? Calling it a basket in disc golf makes sense, pin, not so much.

Well it's not a basket from basketball either. From now on the target shall be called a Disc Receptacle.

using the terms isnt the issue. trying to make disc golfers dress/ act like pompous golfers is.

Where have you encountered this?? I dont think ive ever met anyone trying to get disc golfers to dress nicer. Foot golf, on the other hand, is really pushing that way in tournaments.

It's easier to say a course has 18 holes than 18 baskets.

I usually only refer to the hole as a... whole. The target is the basket or the pin. I don't really say "strokes". We count throws.

Although apparently people refer to the basket as the "cage"? I heard this on disc golf videos. It's the basket... not the cage :D.

Can someone get a little Pre-Rube going in here...Wasn't there a thread about this, like a year ago?

So if some hold over terms don't jive for you. Lets see what you got for alternative terminology for this activity we call, "Throw the disc in the the pole-hole-basket target from a concrete square on the ground in a park time". :|

Disc "Golf" is a direct descendant of ball golf weather people like it or not. Some terms are gonna cross over and most logical. Even idiots understand golf terms so it makes it simple to grasp. Do we need some special "made up" kooky crap names when names already exist? The majority of people don't know anything about "Frisbee-golf", which is a fringe "sport" in the eyes of the masses anyway. :\

I don't know why this vocab "separation" is a big deal for some people...we are playing "poor mans golf" after all and I will admit I enjoy the **** out if it just as it is :D!

Last edited:
I am surprised that the PDGA refers to targets (presumably to encompass tone poles & object golf), yet stipulates holing out. Shouldn't it be "target out" -- casually referred to as TOUT. Then we could say "A DROT is not a TOUT" and no one but the educated would know what we're saying.

It's easier to say a course has 18 holes than 18 baskets.

I usually only refer to the hole as a... whole. The target is the basket or the pin. I don't really say "strokes". We count throws.

Although apparently people refer to the basket as the "cage"? I heard this on disc golf videos. It's the basket... not the cage :D.
But it could be 18 holes on 9 baskets, or 18 holes with 36 baskets.

18 holes on 36 baskets? Are there 2 dimensions on top of one another or where have you encountered this?
Warwick, Patapsco, Ditto Farms, Renny, Hornets Nest, Iron Hill, Creeping Creek, Turkey Hill, Schumaker Pond, off the top my head.

Really freaks out us country bumpkins. "When was I supposed to play to THIS basket!!! I'm totally lost."

More golf terms need to be adopted to frolf

Afraid Of The Dark: A putted ball which refuses to fall in the hole.

Air mail: When a golf shot travels (like a jet airliner) and flies much further than planned.

Albatross: A hole played three (3) strokes under Par. Also known as a Double Eagle.

Adolf Hitler: Two shots in the bunker

Army Golf: The term "Army Golf" originates from the famous Army marching cadence: Left-right-left, which relative to the game of golf, means hitting the ball out of bounds to the left one time to the right the next and so on.

Back Door: The term "Back Door" is in reference to the far side of the putting "Cup". When approaching the hole, the putted ball catches the rim of the cup and curls around about half of the hole before falling in the "back" side.

Bag rat: The term "Bag Rat' is a derogatory comment referring to the Caddy.

Banana Ball: A golf slang term for a very sharp fade shot known as a "slice". The ball travels in a "banana-shaped" curve.

Barkies: Specifically, a slang term for hitting trees, but obtaining a good score in spite of it. On a drive where the ball travels into the woods and hits the trees, you could say the golfer got a lot of "good wood" on that shot.

Beach: "Beach" is a golf slang term for a sand bunker.

Big Dog: A slang term for the "Driving" club. Golfer's use this expression, "Time to let the big dog eat", when they finally decide to use the driver

Buzzard: The term "buzzard" is a synonym for a "Double Bogey" or two strokes over Par on any individual golf hole.

Cabbage: A term referring to hitting the ball into very deep and inescapable thick rough. Also called spinach.

Can: A term referring to the Hole or "Cup" on the Green. Having "Canned" the putt, he won the tournament.

Carpet: A common term referring to the "Green".

Cart Jockey: "Cart jockey" is a term usually used in reference to a Golf Club staff person whose job it is to manage the course's motorized golf carts.

Cat Box: The term "Cat box" is commonly referred to as a sand bunker.

Chili Dip: A Golf Slang term for hitting the ground behind the ball before impact with the ball. Also known as a "Fat" shot or "Chunk".

Cuban: A term relating to the putting action where the ball stops just short of dropping into the "Cup". The ball "Needs One More Revolution"!

Dance floor: Golf Terms relating to "Dance Floor" is commonly referring to the "Green" which has a very smoooooth surface!

Dawn patrol: The Golf Slang term "dawn patrol" refers to golfers who tend to play at sunrise. "Dawn patrol" is similar to "Dew Sweepers".

Dew Sweepers: "Dew sweepers" is a reference to players in a Professional Tournament who, in the third or fourth round of the tournament, have the earliest Tee times when the "Dew" is still on the Golf Course!

Die It in the hole: On the putting green, when putting the ball towards the hole and it loses the last of its momentum, but still drops into the "Cup", it is referred to as "Die It in the Hole"

Dog Track: When a golf course is in poor condition, the derogatory term "Dog track" is sometimes used for that course. It is also known as a "Goat track".

Double Eagle: A hole played three (3) strokes under Par. Also known as an "Albatross". Double eagles almost always occur on par five holes when a golfer "Holes" their second shot.

Dribbler: A shot that "Dribbles" forward only a few feet, usually without getting airborne. (This is commonly termed a "Fat Shot" as well.

Duck Hook: A "Duck hook" is considered a severe "hook" to the left (usually caused by a closed clubface) and "ducks," sharply to the ground, running off to the golfer's left. Another term associated with a Duck Hook, is a "Snap Hook".

Duffer: The derogatory term, "Duffer" is a Golf Slang term for an "inexperienced" or mediocre golfer. Another term similarly used is a "Hacker"!
'Trees Taunt You' is part of Golf Slang

Flop shot: A golf shot which is hit quite high and short, which upon contact with the Green, rolls very little and stops. The ball is "Flopped" onto the putting surface.

Flub: A "Flub Shot" is basically a poor, disastrous golf shot which inevitably causes a loss in scoring!

Foot Wedge: Golf Terms referring to "Foot wedge" is slang for a way to assist a golfer in cheating his way out of trouble! It is where the golfer uses his "foot" to nudge the ball into a better lie.

Four-jack: A Golf Slang term for taking "four putts" to get the ball in the hole on any given Green.

Fried Egg: "Fried Egg" is a slang term relating to the appearance of a ball buried in a Sandtrap. Only the top half of the ball is visible, which makes it look like a "Sunny-Side-Up" egg located in the sandtrap. Also known as "Plugged".

Gimme: In non-tournament play, a "Gimmie" refers to a Putt that playing partners agree can count automatically without actually being played. A (Tap-In") Therefore, conceding the score for that Putt.

Goat Track: When a golf course is in poor condition, the derogatory term "Goat track" is sometimes used for that course. It is also known as a "Dog track".

Grow teeth: This is a Slang term used for when a golfer begs the ball to "stop quickly"!

:doh:

It'll never understand why some think we need to separate ourselves from golf. Golf is where our sport was derived. Embrace it and move on. Wasn't softball a derivative of baseball? The ball, bat, gloves, dimensions of the field in softball are different from baseball.

And while I'm sitting here in comes to mind that our national language is called English. And yet our vernacular is quite different from it's roots.