• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got a Critique from Will Schusterick.

No to both?

... imitate the pros(never let you elbow collapse to <90°).

The elbow should never be less than 90 degrees ...

I'm really confused now. Maybe it is the language after all.

Bad (narrow angle):
hqdefault.jpg

Good:
T8eiYB5.png

Someone correct me if I'm missing something, but:

Instead try and keep your shoulder from ever collapsing below 90 degrees. In fact, keep it somewhat locked in at about 110-120 degrees. Don't worry about your elbow, let it swing freely.

I don't think HUB was being condescending

How do you know that is not what seppo means? Have you seen him throw? He certainly does not tuck his chin into his chest.

This part makes me unreasonably angry. Maybe its the language barrier but it sounds so condescending to me. I mean, you definitely know a lot more about form than me so i don't want to pass judgement, but if you go through your old blog-entries, is that really what you are doing?

Personally, i had a big breakthrough lately and all i had to do was ignore advice i got here (get to the right peck) and imitate the pros(never let you elbow collapse to <90°). Don't get me wrong, i absolutely appreciate all the videos, advice and discussions. I just have my doubts that the level of certainty displayed above is warranted.

It must be the language barrier, bud. I've met HUB in person more than once and he's definitely a dude I'd invite to my house for football, beer, and chicken wings.

I think the tone you misinterpreted was not meant to be condescending, rather, I took it as a guy who has been grinding out his form for years, and is excited to share much easier to learn concepts that could've shaved years off of his learning curve, and he's trying to shave that learning curve down for anyone willing to listen.

Congrats on the breakthrough!

FWIW even though Will's advice is more general or uses some other terms, etc., it's really interesting for me to hear from someone who has been a top tier player and has massive power. Everyone learns different, and sometimes hearing something with a different wording or new analogy or a different marked up diagram can click for them.

That being said, feel isn't real for lots of things, and when you've been feeling how to throw 500+ for like a decade then you likely don't need to think about all the gritty little changes all the time. It's just a different perspective which is really interesting for me to see.

I think it's unfortunate that some of the best pros simply just don't know what good form is or don't fully understand why they do what they do. But this isn't surprising. It's like this in almost every sport. That's because typically the best players are the ones who have been playing (whichever sport) since they were kids. This is certainly true of Seppo and Schusterick. Both great players, but both who developed their form fairly organically by lots of practice and trial and error as young kids. If you already "get it" there's no reason to deep dive into body mechanics and form. It would only be a distraction and hindrance to anyone's game at that level. If you are familiar with the four stages of competence, all the top pros are operating at the final stage: unconscious competence. At that stage, you can only perform worse if you "think" about what you are doing. Now, Schusterick, I don't know what happened but he's totally trashed his form in the last few years, but it used to be good. Maybe he started thinking about it too much?

The unfortunate thing is that some people will only listen to pros for form advice and that can lead people down the wrong path for a long time before they realize they weren't really taught the right concepts to begin with. Lots of experienced throwers here can relate to that.

The good thing is that as the sport grows, there will be more form coaches who really do know what they are talking about.

No to both?

I'm really confused now. Maybe it is the language after all.

Bad (narrow angle):
hqdefault.jpg

Good:
T8eiYB5.png

I've said this many times before... I think a lot disc golfers also tend to confuse a DRILL with THROWING. This confusion doesn't tend to happen in other sports for whatever reason, maybe because they tend to have live coaches emphasizing that fact, or maybe because it's simply more obvious or natural in other sports than in a BH swing which seems to be completely unnatural and mystify people(it used to mystify me too). For instance in swimming we practice the thumb drag recovery drill all the time to exaggerate the high elbow coming out of the water to increase body rotation and extension, but I've never seen anybody in the history of swimming competition try to swim using the thumb drag drill because it's obviously slower. Drills are meant to exaggerate a certain part or feeling of the throw. You must figure out how to incorporate that exaggeration into your throw through practice, lots of practice.

It must be the language barrier, bud. ...

I think the tone you misinterpreted was not meant to be condescending, ...

In that case i'm sorry HUB. In Germany, if you are complementing someone for their effort while avoiding giving complements for what they actually did is basically saying that you want to say something nice. However, what they did was so bad that you just can't find anything nice to say about that, so you find something tangential to complement them about. This is never a nice thing but doing this to a professional is quite insulting. But apparently this is not what was meant to be communicated here and i misread it.

Someone correct me if I'm missing something, but:

Instead try and keep your shoulder from ever collapsing below 90 degrees. In fact, keep it somewhat locked in at about 110-120 degrees. Don't worry about your elbow, let it swing freely.

this just clicked for me (I think)

I started to mess around last night. I had to keep my grip pressure light tho. That seemed like an issue bc one time the disc flew right out of my hand

this just clicked for me (I think)

I started to mess around last night. I had to keep my grip pressure light tho. That seemed like an issue bc one time the disc flew right out of my hand

Your mistakes should be early release and you shouldn't really be able to practice full speed indoors (the disc will break something, guaranteed).

Once I stopped trying to throw the disc, and used my upper body as a frame, the discs started coming out early instead of late. That's because I was gripping for a much less powerful rip. I had to squeeze even more tightly than I thought once I started actually throwing correctly.

Luckily, that just requires reps. You'll sort of subconsciously start to adjust and you shouldn't have to think "GRIP HARD" every time.

Does the tight grip start when you start accelerating the disc or the entire time?

That makes sense. The upper body being a frame is an interesting analogy for me. I almost want to tape some type of square edge to my upper arm and chest to see how badly I collapse.

Your mistakes should be early release and you shouldn't really be able to practice full speed indoors (the disc will break something, guaranteed).

Yup.

Didn't really need that clock. Pretty impressive I took it off the top of the TV without breaking anything else though. Especially since it was on top of the cable box.

I've also shot my chrony, but everybody's done that.

That makes sense. The upper body being a frame is an interesting analogy for me. I almost want to tape some type of square edge to my upper arm and chest to see how badly I collapse.

Yep.

The hips, spine, and shoulders should be moving as one unit in your brain. (the shoulder should always have a wide angle).

Things will lag naturally... aka - there will be some delay between your hips and spine, and the shoulder angle will collapse a little bit as well. This will all happen without you thinking about it. You should think of them as one piece. The lag/collapse will SNAP back at the hit.

I think Will has fairly unique form because of how flexible he is. Most people can't throw like that.

Latest posts