• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got a Critique from Will Schusterick.

Quite a while back I was in my work parking lot and I put a disc right into the window of my boss's Lexus from about 30'. Didn't break anything, but put my stomach in my throat real quick!

I practice throw from my neighbor's paved driveway into my backyard between the two houses. Aside from hitting my house about 10 times now....he had mowed and there was some dead grass on the pavement. I slipped on it on the LAST throw of the day, and shank one right into an outside light on his garage, shattering the glass and bending the metal frame. An hour of glass cleanup that day, and I just wired up his new light last weekend :doh:

A buddy of mine was putting in my basement (we can get 20-25'), shanks one into a liquor bottle on my bar top, which shatters on the concrete floor. It was Fireball, which is very sticky when it dries. Had to scrape/mop like 10 times before I convinced myself I'd cleaned up all the bits of glass from the bottle.

Yep.

The hips, spine, and shoulders should be moving as one unit in your brain. (the shoulder should always have a wide angle).

Things will lag naturally... aka - there will be some delay between your hips and spine, and the shoulder angle will collapse a little bit as well. This will all happen without you thinking about it. You should think of them as one piece. The lag/collapse will SNAP back at the hit.

This is starting to unlock more understanding for me.

I'm working on the one leg drill and keeping the frame. Going slow and not thinking about doing anything with the elbow.

What else can be done to master this?

I'm working on the one leg drill and keeping the frame. Going slow and not thinking about doing anything with the elbow.

Have the right balance and posture. If your balance isn't aligned right, then you'll be telegraphing your mass to a point that isn't supported so you'll have no choice but to collapse or tilt or yank the shot or something. If you are balanced then the frame will stay as you move.

Best way to tell is to video yourself in the drills or positions, and try doing things that would expose the poor balance rather than just swinging on angles that visually look easier/better.

Swing a bat, hammer, something heavy - with 2 hands and then 1 hand. Feel and refine the leverage.

Throw a basketball under hand at a brick wall with your OLD, One-Step and X-Step.

Swing a bat, hammer, something heavy - with 2 hands and then 1 hand. Feel and refine the leverage.

Throw a basketball under hand at a brick wall with your OLD, One-Step and X-Step.

Yeah I like to use a bat or something similar because it exaggerates what the outside of the disc is doing and you can really FEEL it happening.

Good tips, thank you fellas

I used to think the disc had to be very close (like a couple of inches away from the right peck. The frame idea makes me think this is incorrect. Can it be out in front more?

Last edited:
Good tips, thank you fellas

I used to think the disc had to be very close (like a couple of inches away from the right peck. The frame idea makes me think this is incorrect. Can it be out in front more?

The deeper you get in at the power pocket, the better.

The deeper you get in at the power pocket, the better.

just grabbed a disc and I can see what you mean. I was using a towel and thinking it could be out further.

I do want to pull through lower tho. Having it up high feels awful.

just grabbed a disc and I can see what you mean. I was using a towel and thinking it could be out further.

Pull wherever feels comfortable! I like swing through up on a plane like Paul, but Swedish throwers pull through super low (see: Feldberg).

How do you know that is not what seppo means? Have you seen him throw? He certainly does not tuck his chin into his chest.

This part makes me unreasonably angry. Maybe its the language barrier but it sounds so condescending to me. I mean, you definitely know a lot more about form than me so i don't want to pass judgement, but if you go through your old blog-entries, is that really what you are doing?

Personally, i had a big breakthrough lately and all i had to do was ignore advice i got here (get to the right peck) and imitate the pros(never let you elbow collapse to <90°). Don't get me wrong, i absolutely appreciate all the videos, advice and discussions. I just have my doubts that the level of certainty displayed above is warranted.

Yeah I mean, you think any of the pros we watch on lead card got to where they are by pouring over the DGCR technique guides? Fact of the matter is, the guys on here can pontificate on biomechanics til they're blue in the face, but I don't see any evidence.

Yeah I mean, you think any of the pros we watch on lead card got to where they are by pouring over the DGCR technique guides? Fact of the matter is, the guys on here can pontificate on biomechanics til they're blue in the face, but I don't see any evidence.
You mean like a 4x World Champ...
Great concept just don't expect immediate results. :cool:

I'd advise listing to Jimmy Ballard pontificating against any advice of keeping the head down or still or back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BUOAZrbMGs&t=6m

David Wiggins Jr - Keep your Head Up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywEyfD1zTtQ#t=6m45s

Avery Jenkins - Keep your Chin Up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_Ank9CoiM&t=10m50s

We asked several of our top SwingFix instructors for the worst tip they've ever heard.

There were a number of strong contenders, but 'keep your head down' got the most votes … and it wasn't really close.
https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-instruction/trying-keep-your-head-down-not-answer

Same for me too, I can't throw with it across the chest an inch lower then nipples the way my brother does in a drive and lots of pros do. Instead I throw in between middle of the nipples and belly button for my drives to midrange shot being smaller then my younger brother. He is not a huge player but he has to throw this way or he will not throw flat and every throw is torqued to an overstable type throw for normal release or understable if he releases disc late.

Same for me too, I can't throw with it across the chest an inch lower then nipples the way my brother does in a drive and lots of pros do. Instead I throw in between middle of the nipples and belly button for my drives to midrange shot being smaller then my younger brother. He is not a huge player but he has to throw this way or he will not throw flat and every throw is torqued to an overstable type throw for normal release or understable if he releases disc late.

Eric Oakley basically slits his throat with the disc he pulls so high.

Feldberg would be cutting something else off because it's so low.

There are many things everyone needs to do, but adjusting where you pull is usually based on comfort or preference.

Read the threads about Swedish vs. American style with HUB and SW22, all the info you'll need about pulling high vs low should be in there.

Eric Oakley basically slits his throat with the disc he pulls so high.

Feldberg would be cutting something else off because it's so low.

There are many things everyone needs to do, but adjusting where you pull is usually based on comfort or preference.

Read the threads about Swedish vs. American style with HUB and SW22, all the info you'll need about pulling high vs low should be in there.

I have read that post, I know the high low thing but even then throwing is different, my dad he does a forehand throw that starts out wide then he tucks in with elbow. That side arm is one of the smoothest I have ever seen, he did the forehand throw only since throwing toy and Wham-O Frisbee's since the mid 1960's when he was 4 or 5.

Is that because you haven't made enough of an effort to put their advice into action? I'd say gaining 150'+ personally is strong evidence, and you can go see it in my critique thread.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65039

Now that I think of it, the hammer pound drill was what got me from 150' noob hyzers to 250-300'; so I guess you could say these guys added 300'+ to my throw.

Last edited:
I think anyone who's doing field work will see improvement unless they are just doing the same big mistakes over and over without trying anything different. I like to read this section because it gives me ideas to try when I do fieldwork.

With the varieties of style the pros have, I'm pretty sure there isn't only one that works for everybody. So as far as you're not releasing the disc nose up and/or rounding like crazy, if you find the timing to use your weight transfer efficiently you will at least throw 300'.