• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip pressure incident

Asian Style

Par Member
Something interesting happened today. I was going for a hyzer flip and it turned out to be a huge anhyzer. That's not the interesting part though. The interesting part is during my run up as I swung my arm back and the disc started to move forward I relaxed my grip and my last two fingers (pinky and ring) came completely off the disc by accident. I didn't want to stop my momentum so I gripped down extra hard just before the hit with my last three fingers. Turned into one of the longest drives I have ever done by a large margin. My friends went a little silent because I don't think they were expecting it and neither was I.

This got me thinking if this is something I should pursue or if it's bad form to throw with three fingers. I feel like during the throw it was easier to focus the grip pressure on the pivot point near my thumb. It also seems like if I threw with three fingers like that, my discs will have a tendency to turn more than I am used to whether I like it or not. So this might be a grip change I should consider when doing big anhyzers/rollers or something. I don't know, thoughts? Does anyone throw regularly with just three fingers?

Yes, I use a three finger power grip 99% of the time. I find it more comfortable, and it is easier for me to manage nose angle. I credit it to the size of my hands.

Experiment with all kinds of things in the field. You never know what will work for you. Everyone is different.

Play around with it and other grips. 2 finger is easier to get nose down and spin, but I find it harder to aim.

^yep. I actually started throwing BH with a 2 finger grip (and it was with a groove :| Pre-dgr/dgcr days) but its when I noticed a good increase in spin just sprayed them everywhere.

There is no "right" way but I have settled on a 3 and 1/2 finger power grip :p

^yep. I actually started throwing BH with a 2 finger grip (and it was with a groove :| Pre-dgr/dgcr days) but its when I noticed a good increase in spin just sprayed them everywhere.

There is no "right" way but I have settled on a 3 and 1/2 finger power grip :p

Love to see a picture of that - got me curious.

I haven't tried it myself, but my understanding is that it's easier to feel the hit with a 2 or 3 finger grip, but it's also a weaker grip, so you won't get as much distance (assuming you hit it) and it's more prone to little slips. So it might be a good training tool to help get the feel for the hit, but it's worth trying a full power grip again once you can feel it consistently.

I think it depends on the length of your fingers. I have really short little fingers compared to the rest and I have difficulty getting all 5 fingers into a secure power grip. I've dabbled in various 3 finger grips, but usually come back to the full 4 finger just because I feel like I should. Eventually I might go back to 3 though because I definitely feel like I can't properly engage all my fingers due to the length difference.

If I am not mistaken a lot of the pros doing Distance Competitions will do a 2 finger power grip because it generates more spin. As stated, it is less accurate, which is why it is typically just used in distance comps and not actual rounds.

I do a 3 finger because my hands are so big I can't get that pinky to allow the disc to release clean.