• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grow the Sport 2015

GMcAtee

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I really get annoyed by people always saying "grow the sport". Especially when they are allergic to physical labor. Post pics of how you actually grew the sport, not just talked about it.

Today I removed many stumps from our local disc golf course.

Attachments

• 11103179_10155407667760571_8434859630244572445_o.jpg
    11103179_10155407667760571_8434859630244572445_o.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 11071531_10155407667995571_4406456159445479016_o.jpg
    11071531_10155407667995571_4406456159445479016_o.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 117
There are kinds of ways "to grow the sport," that don't necessarily involve physical labor. I am grateful for any work anyone does for the betterment of of our game.

Do whatever you can to prevent growth....discourage as many people as you can from playing.....tournaments fill too fast as it is.

There are kinds of ways "to grow the sport," that don't necessarily involve physical labor. I am grateful for any work anyone does for the betterment of of our game.

You will have to start a new thread for the other stuff. This is a thread for physical labor only.

Do whatever you can to prevent growth....discourage as many people as you can from playing.....tournaments fill too fast as it is.

I like your thinking. Weekday, cold weather, course work; I had the whole damn course to myself. It was great!

Absolutely.

Which is not to dismiss the wonderful folks who do bend their backs for course maintenance and improvement.

Let's just not forget the TDs, and folks who negotiate with parks departments, and who give demonstrations at elementary schools, and run clubs, and do all the behind-the-scenes stuff.

You will have to start a new thread for the other stuff. This is a thread for physical labor only.

Then it might need a better title.

I really get annoyed by people always saying "grow the sport". Especially when they are allergic to physical labor. Post pics of how you actually grew the sport, not just talked about it.

Today I removed many stumps from our local disc golf course.

Perhaps you're not after those who want to "grow the sport", as those who complain about courses or wish they had better courses to play, but won't contribute. Growing that one aspect of the sport.

Absolutely.

Which is not to dismiss the wonderful folks who do bend their backs for course maintenance and improvement.

Let's just not forget the TDs, and folks who negotiate with parks departments, and who give demonstrations at elementary schools, and run clubs, and do all the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Then it might need a better title.

Perhaps you're not after those who want to "grow the sport", as those who complain about courses or wish they had better courses to play, but won't contribute. Growing that one aspect of the sport.

This is where I'm at. I work 20 minutes from Diamond X which always needs physical labor put in and not just the DG course. But as I work 7ish to 5ish at a bank 5 days a week, its easier for me to schedule/participate in meetings with our parks dept 4 blocks away and shoot e-mails back and forth than get out for course maintenance. I have a friend that is a finish carpenter who, when he's between houses can get to the course and put in time. Also, he doesn't like people so its better for him anyhow. I hate to use this quote cause it's dorky to me but, It takes a village.

So, I'm not going to screen shot it, but right before I opened this thread, I sent an e-mail to our P&R volunteer coordinator to get an update on the new course being constructed this summer. It has been driven almost soley by 2-3 of us sitting in board rooms, e-mailing, and fundraising, no shovels or pick-axes.

This is where I'm at. I work 20 minutes from Diamond X which always needs physical labor put in and not just the DG course. But as I work 7ish to 5ish at a bank 5 days a week, its easier for me to schedule/participate in meetings with our parks dept 4 blocks away and shoot e-mails back and forth than get out for course maintenance. I have a friend that is a finish carpenter who, when he's between houses can get to the course and put in time. Also, he doesn't like people so its better for him anyhow. I hate to use this quote cause it's dorky to me but, It takes a village.

So, I'm not going to screen shot it, but right before I opened this thread, I sent an e-mail to our P&R volunteer coordinator to get an update on the new course being constructed this summer. It has been driven almost soley by 2-3 of us sitting in board rooms, e-mailing, and fundraising, no shovels or pick-axes.

yup. done all that stuff too. and it's nice to be past that boring stage.

Last edited:
yup. done all that stuff too. and it's nice to be past that boring stage.

I honestly envy you. In my town, the boring stuff went by the wayside for too long and one course almost got pulled. We're trying to build the DG community back up and hopefully I'll be able to pass some of it along. I love tuning tees to my liking and polishing up the little things, that as you point out, also go by the wayside. I'll get some pictures up on here to your end soon enough, our B Tier is in 2 weeks. :hfive:

I honestly envy you. In my town, the boring stuff went by the wayside for too long and one course almost got pulled. We're trying to build the DG community back up and hopefully I'll be able to pass some of it along. I love tuning tees to my liking and polishing up the little things, that as you point out, also go by the wayside. I'll get some pictures up on here to your end soon enough, our B Tier is in 2 weeks. :hfive:

I can see that happening. Local politicians constantly need their egos massaged. We deal with that a lot. Mostly they appear once a year, say great job, and leave us alone. Without constant massaging, I can see how courses would get pulled. Disc golf is not thought of as necessary, even though the parking lot is full of out of state plates on the weekends. When the politicians have never lived in other parts of the country, they don't really get it.

We even have a sign in sheet at the kiosk. About half the players sign in from various locations. Showing the local politicos these sheets still doesn't impress them much. Hard to impress people who have their own agenda.

Last edited:
Been visiting my folks for a couple of days and bored this afternoon, I decided to head over to the closest neighboring town with a course (19 miles away) which they just installed last year. Played 36 holes and after finishing, had a couple of locals come up and ask about how to start a tournament. I gave them some info about some of the manufacturer sponsored events (Ace Race, Trilogy Challenge, Birdie Bash) Ice Bowls and pointers on starting a local league. I did somehow forget to mention a certain website (sorry Timg).
:doh:

Can't say that they'll run with anything I told them, but hopefully they're better informed on resources to get the ball rolling than they were before running into me. Sometimes that's all you can do.

Been visiting my folks for a couple of days and bored this afternoon, I decided to head over to the closest neighboring town with a course (19 miles away) which they just installed last year. Played 36 holes and after finishing, had a couple of locals come up and ask about how to start a tournament. I gave them some info about some of the manufacturer sponsored events (Ace Race, Trilogy Challenge, Birdie Bash) Ice Bowls and pointers on starting a local league. I did somehow forget to mention a certain website (sorry Timg).
:doh:

Can't say that they'll run with anything I told them, but hopefully they're better informed on resources to get the ball rolling than they were before running into me. Sometimes that's all you can do.

The Ace Races, Trilogy Challenges, and Birdie Bashes seem to have large turnouts with less expenses too.