• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Happy Endings" controversy

prerube on dgcr said:
no they did not, they insulted us further saying disc golfers are dorks who can't get laid and have no lives.

and this isn't true? a bunch of snotty nosed, sniveling, no life disc golf dorks emailing a show in anger about how their precious sport got misrepresented like it's a violation of the sacred and profane and you want the show to take disc golfers seriously? they should have ripped into disc golf more by reading some of the complaints.

hey everybody, let's act like oppressed minorities because a tv show made fun of us for a minute. boo fucking hoo.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Disc-Golfers-against-Happy-Endings-ABC/259946794050557

MTL likes this, pretty sure his butt hurts...

WOW! this thread has some great laughs. special thanks to you VR.

did anyone find a link to the episode?

that video is awesome
"first off, disc golfers we should've never commented on your sport" -zach
"we dont play disc golf....we do a variety of other things....we play real sports like..." - zach "and have sex with men and women" - eliza

that was a fantastic backhanded apology. i kinda want to actually watch the show now.

Smyith said:
that was a fantastic backhanded apology. i kinda want to actually watch the show now.
It's pretty funny. You kind of have to get to know the characters a bit but a lot of the show is making fun of various sub cultures and personal idiosyncrasies. There's a really funny episode where they spend most of the show making fun of hipsters. Sadly, it turns out that hipsters, while portrayed as having little sense of humor on the show, apparently are more laid back and have a better sense of humor than disc golfers. The same can be said for people who watch "The View." They didn't demand an apology and were made just as much fun of as disc golf.

I'm also questioning many disc golfers ability to accurately comprehend the comedy of the prime time sitcom. They were clearly making fun of Dave (who happens to be the protagonist that you're supposed to root for and identify with). They were not making fun of disc golf, disc golfers or those weird Vibram shoe things with the separate toes.

I guess the moral of the story is that people who watch "The View" are more laid back and have a better sense of humor than disc golfers. Apparently that's supposed to help with the overall reputation of the sport somehow.

Seems that the PDGA membership is in two camps about the video apology:
1) Those who absolutely don't get that it is a joke & feel triumphant validation at having forced humility from "the man": https://www.facebook.com/john.dueslerjr
2) Those who feel like freaking geniuses for ferreting out the oh-so obscure fact that it is a joke, and are even more butthurt: http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1462610&#post1462610

s780_facepalm_implied.jpg

this shit just gets funnier all the time... i can't believe they bought it...

what wacky thing will duesler say next? at least he has a good complexion. i would be planning a communication intervention if i was duesler's friend. the dude needs some serious help or he needs to retire from the public sphere.

From a butthurt frolfer on FB:
Treebangers DiscGolf said:
I just wanted to repost somthing that a fellow disc golfer wrote concerning the Happy Endings. This is awesome please read and share. I love our sport and everyone who helps it grow!

From Jeremy Thornton: A little something I wrote to their long winded empty apology..... It's pretty amazing that your show has poorly attempted to make an upcoming sport such as Disc Golf a Joke. You must've struggled for weeks to try to figure out how to pick on the small kid at school. Here's a real challenge for your impotent writers. Try a show that rips on the "sport" of poker or the "sport" of fishing.. These sportsmen make millions of dollars lying and working off of blind luck. Our top (actual) ATHLETES only make $100,000 a year traveling the World playing tournaments in front of crowds in the 40 country's that have disc golf courses. We were are on the cover of Forbes Magazine for being the fastest growing sport in the World (15% a year over the last 18 years). Our sport is given land from parks departments that has become high crime rate areas that police can't afford to patrol. The two pieces of land that we've been given in our town have become city parks again. They don't have trash and needles all over them and if somebody shady shows up the police get called and they get asked to leave. Disc golf is a very friendly family sport. I've seen 4 generations of family on the course playing together. at around $10 a disc to play and our courses for the most part being free. Our sport is perfect for all family's who need healthy activities that don't include watching boring television programs.
BTW - learn more about frolf here (pay attention to item #4).

having this much amusement makes me feel my pdga dues aren't actually wasted...

veganray said:
From a butthurt frolfer on FB:
Treebangers DiscGolf said:
I just wanted to repost somthing that a fellow disc golfer wrote concerning the Happy Endings. This is awesome please read and share. I love our sport and everyone who helps it grow!

From Jeremy Thornton: A little something I wrote to their long winded empty apology..... It's pretty amazing that your show has poorly attempted to make an upcoming sport such as Disc Golf a Joke. You must've struggled for weeks to try to figure out how to pick on the small kid at school. im very experienced at the picking on part, believe me it takes hardly anytime at all. especially since said "small" kid makes it so easy. Here's a real challenge for your impotent writers. Try a show that rips on the "sport" of poker or the "sport" of fishing. been done many times. These sportsmen make millions of dollars lying and working off of blind luck. Our top (actual) ATHLETES only make $100,000 a year traveling the World playing tournaments in front of crowds in the 40 country's that have disc golf courses. We were are on the cover of Forbes Magazine for being the fastest growing sport in the World (15% a year over the last 18 years). Our sport is given land from parks departments that has become high crime rate areas that police can't afford to patrol. The two pieces of land that we've been given in our town have become city parks again. They don't have trash and needles all over them and if somebody shady shows up the police get called and they get asked to leave. Disc golf is a very friendly family sport. I've seen 4 generations of family on the course playing together. at around $10 a disc to play and our courses for the most part being free. Our sport is perfect for all family's who need healthy activities that don't include watching boring television programs.
BTW - learn more about frolf here (pay attention to item #4).

just another reason why it shouldnt be called Frolf. i had a good hearty laugh at that one. i had to read a second time to make sure i understood it correctly. i need to go find a broad thats into frolfing :lol:

Latest posts