• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Dynamic Discs peaked?

when did trilogys durability go down the crapper

i had some old sparkle opto saints that were indestructible

but i havent bought anything from trilogy in over 5 years at least

I've never noticed this with my own Opto/VIP discs, even though it is often reported here. Granted most of mine are also fairly old.

I have newer GL discs that do beat in quickly, but they retain those modified characteristics a long time.

I don't think it has.

I've only been throwing Trilogy for five years now and I have not delved into discs older than my time with the brands (so basically, all my stuff has been made in the last 5-6 years).

I've found that some plastics, particularly Gold/Fuzion/Tournament, will break in quickly but plateau at a nice sweet spot for a good long time. Opto/Lucid/VIP seems to have a slower break in but also plateau at their sweet spot for a good long time. I've had a few discs in the bag for anywhere from 3 to 5 years that aren't appreciably different now than they were originally. If they got too beat in and flippy, I'd replace them but I have no real need to do so yet.

Maybe it depends on your throwing style or where you play, but I don't find that Trilogy plastics wear in all that much differently than other brands. Some blends might break in faster than others, but I've seen that with other brands as well. And all the premium plastics, once broken in, maintain their characteristics for a while.

If you're looking for a disc to be exactly the same from the first time you throw it to the 500th time you throw it, it would seem you have unreasonable and unrealistic expectations. No matter what brand it is.

When people say that Trilogy premium plastics aren't durable, I don't think they mean that they are getting all chunked up and mangled like DX drivers will, but rather that they still look to be in fairly good condition but have become more understable.
This would seem to be desirable for people that want to "cycle" midranges. And, I find that storing drivers in a pile for a period of time will bring much of the stability back

I have some latitude64 discs, I didn't throw them much yet but I remember a video (that one @10:00) with Feldberg saying it took times to brake in his latitude discs so not sure what to believe.

I have experience the big flashing on their discs when I bought a bunch of pures, a sinus, judge and more. it was mostly the putter and a little bit on a Compass. The judge had flashing in the middle of the bead. I really liked the Retro Pure for putting but throwing the opto or zero medium pure was painful for my index so I kind of never use my latitude discs in rounds until recently.

Now that it's getting cold and that tournaments are over here, I gave my Pures another shot and I think I like them even better than the Electron Atoms I was using. The flashing on my opto Pure is gone so it feels good too now. I also really like the Compass and Explorer so far so I'll probably stick around with those latitude discs and see. I bought a BT Medium Harp couple of days ago and there's no flashing so that's good, I'll have to compare it to the Sinus but It will need some rubbing to remove the razor sharp flashing on that one.

I have some latitude64 discs, I didn't throw them much yet but I remember a video (that one @10:00) with Feldberg saying it took times to brake in his latitude discs so not sure what to believe.

I have experience the big flashing on their discs when I bought a bunch of pures, a sinus, judge and more. it was mostly the putter and a little bit on a Compass. The judge had flashing in the middle of the bead. I really liked the Retro Pure for putting but throwing the opto or zero medium pure was painful for my index so I kind of never use my latitude discs in rounds until recently.

Now that it's getting cold and that tournaments are over here, I gave my Pures another shot and I think I like them even better than the Electron Atoms I was using. The flashing on my opto Pure is gone so it feels good too now. I also really like the Compass and Explorer so far so I'll probably stick around with those latitude discs and see. I bought a BT Medium Harp couple of days ago and there's no flashing so that's good, I'll have to compare it to the Sinus but It will need some rubbing to remove the razor sharp flashing on that one.

i posted this in other threads so ill drone on like the broken record i am

the flashing on their discs are their biggest downfall not their durability

the pure was a great mold and the saint was cheating easy d

but the flashing makes it difficult to love and to start with a fresh disc especially when there are so many great options on the market that come without flashing

When people say that Trilogy premium plastics aren't durable, I don't think they mean that they are getting all chunked up and mangled like DX drivers will, but rather that they still look to be in fairly good condition but have become more understable.
This would seem to be desirable for people that want to "cycle" midranges. And, I find that storing drivers in a pile for a period of time will bring much of the stability back

It isn't the loss of stability that is the problem, it is the squirrelyness that the discs pick up as they get thrown. My favorite Trilogy mold is the Felon, but I found it hated any OAT what so ever. It was either flippy or just hyzered into the ground.

I used to putt with prime judges. Great putter and prime is one of my favorite baseline plastics. So I wanted to get a judge thrower and bought a lucid judge. Man that disc had the worst flashing I've ever felt. After many rounds throwing the disc it was still there. I had to artificially sand it down by rubbing the flashing off on the side walk. While that did take care of the flashing and the disc felt so much better the flight of it was totally different and so understable. Since then I've haven't bother with any of their premium discs in fear of another flashing problem like I had with my judge.

Last edited:

This is what I meant. The discs still feel great and everything. But some molds (Northman) seem to get pretty unpredictable quicker than others. Both VIP and tournament. Others not so much. No matter the brand though, the more it's used the more beat in it will become. The same applies for me for roadrunners. I throw pretty understable molds so I'm sure that's a factor.

swhite;3525415 [B said:
When people say that Trilogy premium plastics aren't durable, I don't think they mean that they are getting all chunked up and mangled like DX drivers will, but rather that they still look to be in fairly good condition but have become more understable.[/B]

This. Trilogy discs don't seem to beat worse than other brands, but they definitely do become understable faster. I'll use the Sheriff and Trespass as examples. Those two seem to get flippy fast. The disc can look perfect, but start bombing wildly right without warning.

I can't really explain why the plastic is getting flippy without showing obvious signs of wear.

This. Trilogy discs don't seem to beat worse than other brands, but they definitely do become understable faster. I'll use the Sheriff and Trespass as examples. Those two seem to get flippy fast. The disc can look perfect, but start bombing wildly right without warning.

I can't really explain why the plastic is getting flippy without showing obvious signs of wear.

Agreed. And while I loved the feel and original flight of Gold Line Rivers, I had to give them up because they beat in and became too flippy very fast. And the Opto Rivers were little better vis-a-vis durability.

I don't think it has.

I've only been throwing Trilogy for five years now and I have not delved into discs older than my time with the brands (so basically, all my stuff has been made in the last 5-6 years).

I've found that some plastics, particularly Gold/Fuzion/Tournament, will break in quickly but plateau at a nice sweet spot for a good long time. Opto/Lucid/VIP seems to have a slower break in but also plateau at their sweet spot for a good long time. I've had a few discs in the bag for anywhere from 3 to 5 years that aren't appreciably different now than they were originally. If they got too beat in and flippy, I'd replace them but I have no real need to do so yet.

Maybe it depends on your throwing style or where you play, but I don't find that Trilogy plastics wear in all that much differently than other brands. Some blends might break in faster than others, but I've seen that with other brands as well. And all the premium plastics, once broken in, maintain their characteristics for a while.

If you're looking for a disc to be exactly the same from the first time you throw it to the 500th time you throw it, it would seem you have unreasonable and unrealistic expectations. No matter what brand it is.

I agree with all this. I find Lucid breaks in faster than Champion, but not by a ton. That's fine by me as a noodle arm. I'm actually trying to beat-in an Escape for turnover shots,having lost my older Escape, and am annoyed that the disc seems stuck in the sweet spot area. For me, that means the Escapes are hyzer-flip machines.

Not really I have heard of players with discs in Lucid of Dynamic Disc beating much faster then the Opto from Latitude 64. Opto lasts about a year longer then Lucid for the players that use both plastics or have in past.

Opto, Lucid, and VIP are the exact same plastic just labeled differently for the three companies. They're all made in the same factory with the same machines and same plastic supply.

Opto, Lucid, and VIP are the exact same plastic just labeled differently for the three companies. They're all made in the same factory with the same machines and same plastic supply.

So they say, but I feel Opto compared to Lucid and VIP and Opto feels like it is lesser and I can dent it in easier then the Lucid or VIP plastic. Opto feels lesser when I feel a new disc in Opto and new disc in Lucid, Opto it molds up a tad more soft in the mold then Lucid and is not as translucent as Lucid. I feel that Latitude 64 is giving Dynamic Discs the lesser plastic from the same style of plastic pellets.

Last edited:
So they say, but I feel Opto compared to Lucid and VIP and Opto feels like it is lesser and I can dent it in easier then the Lucid or VIP plastic. Opto feels lesser when I feel a new disc in Opto and new disc in Lucid, Opto it molds up a tad more soft in the mold then Lucid and is not as translucent as Lucid. I feel that Latitude 64 is giving Dynamic Discs the lesser plastic from the same style of plastic pellets.

Lat 64 makes opto. DD is lucid and westside is VIP. So you're saying latitude is actually ripping themselves off? They're the same thing.

Opto is the Lat 64 version.

Lucid is the Dynamic Discs name (for the same plastic).

So did you say it backwards when you said Lat64 is giving DD the "lesser version." You said you thought Opto was "lesser" compared to Lucid and VIP.

Trilogy would be able to sponsor better players if they didn't have to pay "pellet sorters" too. Excellent point Casey! You continue to top yourself in totally uneducated nonsense. And how does Opto feel lesser? Lesser than what? Just stick to Valks and #2 upshots. :wall:

Agreed. And while I loved the feel and original flight of Gold Line Rivers, I had to give them up because they beat in and became too flippy very fast. And the Opto Rivers were little better vis-a-vis durability.

I admittedly throw more lucid/opto/vip. But I feel like gold,fuzion and tournament actually beat in slower. It's probably the fact that I throw less gold line, but they seem more stable out of the box. Maybe it's my sample size though. But I got some gold line visions that fly like saints. My opto vision was money for about a season but got SOOO flippy that it's almost useless. The gold line ones I bought are beefy AF (vision wise). Just curious if I'm the only one?

Latest posts