• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Head/shoulders affecting throw

gronkus

Hey all,
First chance to do some field throwing this year. *Trying* to see if all my forum reading would make any difference in my newbie technique - perhaps a bit. But I did notice one thing.

My normal throw has my shoulders opening a bit and looking forward - maybe not totally at target but perhaps 45 degrees or so when the disc is leaving. But on those throws the disc seems to be quite nose-up and the flight is very hyzer regardless of the understablility of the disc.

On a few throws in which I tried to make sure I turned my shoulders completely away from target in reach back, kept head looking sideways to target line, and not open my shoulder till the disc was gone, my disc flight was much more nose-downish and my understable discs actually turned quite a bit to the right (RHBH). I did feel I grip-locked a bit. And damn lost two discs on top of the school rooftop (although one was my first attempt to do a roller which needless to say did not dip down :\).

Anyway, just an observation. I'm guessing I need to keep my shoulders more on the closed side than my normal motion and the results are better. Of course need to adjust aim as discs go quite right.

Did reach one personal best with an Unlace though at maybe 30-50' further than ever before. Just couldn't duplicate.

Bring on the warm weather!

I always feel closed because I'm braced inside my posture. I think some of it depends on the plane of the throw and some of it is perception. A more horizontal swing plane will tend to open the shoulders more at least visually, but may still feel closed because it is braced.

Jamie Sadlowski, talking about closed shoulder at impact:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfIQgr1ojvg#t=3m15s

Latest posts