• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Heat

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
I'd like to hear REAL reviews of the disc and not people that didn't hit aces in their last AceRace event.

How is it as a moderate distance driver?

What do you like about it?

What are some good uses for it/Type of shots?

Pros/Cons?

What type do you have (or want) ?

For myself. I got 2 blue discs with 1 Flag stamp and 1 Black/Silver Shatter both 165g.

I liked it as a moderate distance driver. It can be powered to get a nice S shape. I treat it like a Valkyrie when throwing, so I hyzer release so it rides US then shapes back. It would be good for high anhyzers, low hyzerflips, tomahawks, and shaping fast shots around obstacles. Cons: sometimes it would flip over, sometimes it would hyzer like mad (but it was windy when I threw it) It has a lot of glide...that can be + for getting more distance and float on a disc and it skips quite a bit as well...so - is that it can glide off to Narnia and/or skip to Mordor.

Overall I like it, but it may not be a fully committed bagged disc, I will probably always carry 1 to use in tight spots or to let a friend play

i really like the disc faster then a roadrunner slow and easier to grip then a mamba. if you like how a mamba flies but don't like the shallow rim give this a try.

i got a flat orange one and a domey blue one. The flat orange one is overstable at low speeds (stand still 200ft) and very flippy at high speeds (x step 300ft). The domey blue one is understable at low speeds and almost perfectly neutral at high speeds. It kinda doesn't make any sense, but it's true. Expect it to be re-tooled to be more understable for commercial release.

Yep, I will withhold any judgement until it is commercially released (or if it's commercially released).

Last year's retooling of the 2013 Ace Race disc to the production Mantis was ridiculous. Very different discs.

i got a flat orange one and a domey blue one. The flat orange one is overstable at low speeds (stand still 200ft) and very flippy at high speeds (x step 300ft). The domey blue one is understable at low speeds and almost perfectly neutral at high speeds. It kinda doesn't make any sense, but it's true. Expect it to be re-tooled to be more understable for commercial release.
All 80 of the ones we got had uber dome. I didn't know any of them came out flat; that would have been a totally different disc.

I'm throwing one occasionally looking to replace the SL. It's in that ballpark for me.

All 80 of the ones we got had uber dome. I didn't know any of them came out flat; that would have been a totally different disc.

I'm throwing one occasionally looking to replace the SL. It's in that ballpark for me.

Yeah we had 80 discs too (40 players... on Oct 25th.. so we got a late batch) Seemed like most of the Orange and Strawberry colored were flat like stalkers. The flight plate felt normal. The Domey ones were all very soft and pliable. The flight plate felt ultra thin on those.

Mine is a 172 with a massive some, looks like half a globe on the ground.

Great glide, and I can throw it hard to get a slowly turning right finish shot, or Hyzerflip it to finish straight or a bit left.

Can't take a full power throw without burning though.

Overall I like it, but not enough to kick my Katana or Hu and I font have much of a gap between them.

I'll keep it since I like the stamp and a lot of my friends who are newer to the game like to borrow it.

Won't be bagging it though.

The Heat is also not a great name. Should have saved that for a real OS bomber.

Yep, I will withhold any judgement until it is commercially released (or if it's commercially released).

Last year's retooling of the 2013 Ace Race disc to the production Mantis was ridiculous. Very different discs.

this real frustrated me in the fact that I really like the ace race version. I don't have any thing against the z form of the mantis but they don't work for the same shots that the ace race one did. Hope they leave this years alone as I think it fits into line up well.

So far, I love mine, both domey, one mid 160g, the other low 170g. I treat it more as a stable-understable fairway driver. Love the skip and glide. I'm hoping they don't change too much for production.

I throw star sidewinders as my primary driver and these feel JUST like them. I got some fairly flexy/gummy ones (most others in the lot were very hard) that feel just like my star sidewinders in hand. During yesterday's Ace Race I didn't get to really try them (short holes + high winds) on normal shots but I did today. They fly EXACTLY like my seasoned star sidewinders. I have a feeling when these season they'll be REALLY flippy and the roadrunner comparisons will be spot on.

The bad news is - even though I like them I have this shot covered. I definitely don't need even more flippy...

The good news is - if I lost both my star SWs today - I could drop these in today and not miss a beat while I beat in a new SW.

Only thing that was strange for me was the mini bead on the rim.

During the Ace Race I figured out that it was a pretty bad slow throwing disc so I did probably 90% power throws and was getting a straight flight MOST of the time.

I'm no sure if it'll make my bag because it's little touchy in the wind I've found. Need to get some more field work with it.

I have 6 Ace Race / Heat disc's. 2 of a light orange, 2 yellowish green, 1 pink and 1 blue.

I bag one of the Orange and the Pink. The pink seems more understable than the orange. Orange flies pretty straight with some fad to the left. Both glide forever. Really like the feel of the plastic.

didn't attend the ace race this year (2 understable drivers 2 years in a row = not rad) but i threw a friend's 175er and it was comparable to a lat 64 river or discmania jackal imho

didn't attend the ace race this year (2 understable drivers 2 years in a row = not rad) but i threw a friend's 175er and it was comparable to a lat 64 river or discmania jackal imho

well your wrong. its like a roadrunner. go back to eagles edge and practice a bit more little guy

Both of mine were light. A blue, flat, 167-69, and a domey red 164-66
The flatter one was noticably more hss. Powered down, which most of the shots at the ace race were, they both had a healthy fade. When thrown past 250' they both turned quite a bit and faded some but still finished right.

These are comparable to a roadrunner, the rim shape is almost identical , and the rim felt close to the same size, 8-9ish

Latest posts