• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heisman drill for disc golf

Arezaki

Bogey Member
This video has been out for a couple of weeks, but I don't think anyone has posted it here yet.

I just want to ask the pros here what you think about this drill?

Mr. Sling Shot talks about getting in the right position before the body turns, and then doing the heisman. I found this really helpful for me since it focuses on getting the rear leg pointing straight (as opposed to backward) and having the head facing towards the target. I have done stand-still drills of various sorts for a long time, but I fail to get in the same position during an actual run-up throw. I hope the focus on getting in the right position before you start the throw will take me to the next level distance-wise.

Not a big fan of pausing to a static balance point or slowing down mid stride because you often end up getting stuck like Mr. Slingshot. His analysis of Paul with the hips/shoulder square is incorrect. Paul's pelvis is already closed going into the x-step which makes it a lot easier to step behind unobstructed by the pelvis, than if your pelvis is truly square which gets in the way and blocks the x-step.

It should be dynamic balance and continuous flow.

Not a big fan of pausing to a static balance point or slowing down mid stride because you often end up getting stuck like Mr. Slingshot. His analysis of Paul with the hips/shoulder square is incorrect. Paul's pelvis is already closed going into the x-step which makes it a lot easier to step behind unobstructed by the pelvis, than if your pelvis is truly square which gets in the way and blocks the x-step.

Thanks for clearing things up. I don't stop the movements like Mr. Slingshot (let's just call him that now) does in the video, but do it slowly and take notice if things are correct, then I slowly continue to the turning part of the throw. I have found this helpful, and I focus on how the body is feeling and if the position feels powerful or not. The most helpful thing with the video was the focus on getting in the right position in the first place while doing a walk-up. I realized that I should focus on this a lot more.

Also: lifting the foot a little as McBeth does (the heisman move) makes it easier to feel the weight shift, or butt lead the throw. This makes it more similar to what I feel doing the double dragon drill, or hershyzer part 2, while doing a walk-up.

Hershyzer part II drill is the way. The explanation of shifting from in front vs behind you is invaluable. It mitigates the issue Mr. S is trying to help with in turning too far back or too early as well because you start with your left foot in a more perpendicular position, and then create the x factor by coiling into the wall before falling and catching yourself from behind. The best part is instead of shooting for a static image of what is correct, you are learning by movement to feel what is correct.
/rave

I have to admit that the more I look at the difference in his mechanics vs. the pros I'm surprised that he developed 500'+ distance. He's athletic enough that he can transfer a lot of energy from that full-tilt sprint into the disc, but his hip mechanics & weight transfer miss a lot of potential force. I wonder if he would be a 600' thrower if he changed some of these motions.

This Heisman drill in slow motion really illustrates the break in the chain more clearly to me. He's making a more or less lateral move (we like), but his bodyweight is back and high and then has to "shove" it with the rear leg and force additional rotation through his core to compensate; this might be why his shoulder opens into the throw too (we don't like). Instead it's more efficient to get the weight shift a la Hershyzer like all top throwers appear to do.

I've saved you the time and tried both movements with a hammer, 2lb dumbbell, and small kettlebell. It feels much weaker to Heisman through to the hit than get a nice Hershyzer/buttwipe into the shift. You have to engage muscles to move your bodyweight and the added weight rather than get a bodyweight/gravity assisted shift that drags the weight and that your slings etc. accelerate.

I don't doubt that you can modify the move into a more continuous one that avoids these issues. I'd just be careful that it's not getting you "trapped over the rubber" and causing you to develop compensatory movements.

I won't lie - I wish I had his juice in my lower body. But I'm still a skeptic and worry that he's leading people down a path toward frustration and potential injury.

Also: lifting the foot a little as McBeth does (the heisman move) makes it easier to feel the weight shift, or butt lead the throw. This makes it more similar to what I feel doing the double dragon drill, or hershyzer part 2, while doing a walk-up.

I did want to say that finding tricks to get the throwing arm and plant to interact correctly is a big deal for many of us. I have found that sometimes taking one drill and then integrating motions from others sometimes gets the idea across. Experimenting is helpful & it's just likely important to get feedback to avoid ruts sometimes.

I believe early in the video he does say that it's intended as a drill. I'd hope he isn't actively teaching people to pause like that and kill momentum moving forward.

He talks briefly about having the back foot pointing perpendicular as opposed to pointing away from the target. I could maybe see using it as a drill with the walk up portion and freezing at the Heisman just to check that your back foot is in the correct position. I think side by side video of Paul's throw with his own would've been better. He basically took a still frame of Paul and was trying to mimic an exact moment without the context of the rest of the throw.

Coming Spring 2022: Numerous tournament players in the rec division with a noticeable pause in their throw.

Coming Spring 2022: Numerous tournament players in the rec division with a noticeable pause in their throw.

Just a thought, in rec division does a pause on the back leg do much damage? It erases any stretch reflex but may not leak much power. On the front leg though, a pause at the brace destroys the throw. I've proven that many times.

Just a thought, in rec division does a pause on the back leg do much damage? It erases any stretch reflex but may not leak much power. On the front leg though, a pause at the brace destroys the throw. I've proven that many times.

An unnaturally long pause will lead to missed out power and worse accuracy. Rushing it will have the same effect.

Think of it as bowling. What would happen if you try to pause the ball at top backswing? What would happen if you rush the swing back down?

Louw_400p06.gif

You'll still be able to play, but a good rythm will always be superior. Even if you are unable to swing with power, have a bad knee or whatever. Find yourself a natural rythm for your swing.

Latest posts