• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me reach 500'

Hard to compare more recent from different angle.

Pretty obvious difference in door frame drill and rounding vs power pocket here - like 30 degrees of head/shoulder rotation, wider and more closed shoulder, loaded back deeper inside posture, left arm not out, shoulder/hand/knee/ankle all inline.
attachment.php

Attachments

• icarcus door frame posture loaded inside.jpg
    icarcus door frame posture loaded inside.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 160
Okay, so some more recent throws for comparison. I finally got a tripod, so filming angle isn't from the ground any more. Still more of the same? What needs work?

Any tips for driving with the left arm? Often when I try to drive the arm straight against my body I end up skying the disc due to dropping my back shoulder.

I'll watch the video, but what do you mean by the weight shift is "slow"? What signs are you seeing of a slow weight shift?

Ah. So it's more like I'm pulling too early relative to my plant? Is this related to my arm fully extending too early? I noted that most pros tend to reach fully extension right as they plant, and I'm reaching it well before my plant.

Looking at my video again, I'm beginning to throw right before my right foot toes hits the ground, not when the heel hits like you noted with Paul and Eagle. My hips are already turning when my toes hits, and I'm also starting the pull then too. Should I delay pulling/throwing slightly, or should I try to fix the timing by fixing my reachback? My cue for pulling seems to be right after my arm fully extends, but it's reaching extension earlier than

I worked a bit on that drill, and I also tried keeping the disc against my body during the initial part of the x-step as opposed to away from it. I've attached differences I noticed below. Video is of two throws today. Look any better?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Form4.jpg
    Form4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Form5.jpg
    Form5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 88
Yep, exaggerate it more. Try starting by holding the disc vertical with hand on top.

I've tried to hold it more vertical with my hand on top, ala Seppo Paju, but I've found that it messes with my release angle too much to do that. I'm also still working repetitions to cement the new form change. After filming myself a good bit, I can tell the difference in timing between having the disc in with my elbow more away from my body than the disc and having the disc out, parallel with the elbow.

I'm not throwing it any further right now with the new timing; I'm still hitting 420-480', ballpark 450' average, on my normal throws depending on how good my release angles are. However, it doesn't feel quite as hard to throw that distance. I feel like I'm putting less "oomph" into the disc than before.

I'd say I'm still 50' short of my overall distance goal. I've noticed I do get some off-arm drive during the initial part of the throw, but it stops when my hand reaches my waist area and doesn't move from there. Most big throws I see still end up with the arm mostly straight/flat against the body.

Any other suggestions to work on that? Any other suggestions?

Normal speed throw.

Been working on driving with my off arm for a couple of weeks now. It's still inconsistent, but when I get it right I feel like I get an extra pop on the disc. If I drive my left arm early, I yank it right, and if I drive it late I end up skying the disc.

Do either of these throws look like an improvement?

Looks like your stride is too long and start opening early/too eager. Can see you rising into the plant and your front knee kind of snap back at the hit.

Note how relaxed and patient Eagle is waiting for all his weight to shift from behind.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 5.08.22 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 5.08.22 PM.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 105
Yeah, the stride is a bit longer than I normally take. Not sure why I was doing it that day. I'm still having to consciously drive the arm, so the focus on that might be taking away from other areas. It should improve with practice.

How does the arm drive/timing look? Most pros I see tend to end with the arm mostly straight/tucked against their side, but I'm not managing that for some reason. Is that really an issue or just something that is a bit different but okay?

Okay, so I filmed myself again today after the above post. First, I threw with my normal form for a bit, which has no arm drive. The first throw in the video below is from those set of throws. That first throw in the video went 500' on the money with a perfect flight/nose angle/height (hyzer release to S-curve, not a left-to-right turnover distance shot).

The next couple of throws I filmed tried arm drive in a different way - slapping down at my rear leg instead of driving my arm inwards. These throws were faster than my 500' throw, I think, and got out to 450-470' without great flights (either too much hyzer so they didn't flip over any, or too low of a shot (sub 10') to get good distance.

As SW22 noted before, when I'm trying this arm drive my stride distance increases; both red lines in the picture below are the same length. The increased stride length appears to reduce my hip rotation, so I'm definitely losing power there.

Any other thoughts on the no arm drive vs arm drive throws?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Form15.jpg
    Form15.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 88
In all of them, it looks like your rear foot is too forward facing/pigeon toed, and your front foot also too forward facing and pivoting on toes/heel spins away and you are rising/extending throughout the swing instead of "staying down" rotating.

Watch Seppo's footwork.

So forgetting the arm drive for a minute to fix the more basic problem of hips/feet, I worked on shortening my plant stride today. I tried this because I noticed that as I was going into the final plant and my front leg was extending, it was starting in a good plant position but would open up in the final 6-12" of plant distance.

So, I worked on striding a bit shorter on the final plant, and it seems to have helped. I hit 525' today with a Valkyrie, albeit with a 10 mph tailwind.

Any better?

Somewhat. Still looks like aren't patient enough for the shift from behind, and going over top some/rising.