• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with my newish bag

Jkalex

Years playing/experience: 5 years on and off; 7 years of Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, can throw RHFH but prefer RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: JK Aviar: 200/250'; Roc/Mako: 270'/320'; Valk/Orc: 350'/425'; I can throw a Katana 450'/500'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?:
Other sport proficiencies?: Basketball, Ultimate, Volleyball
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Feel like there's something I'm missing but can't pin it down
Specific areas of desired feedback: Any
Immediate and long-term goals: long-term goals is consistency, especially with straight and turnover shots. Also, more consistent putts from all ranges is a must.

Bag:

Drivers :
175 Champ Katana- My go-to driver for holes longer than 500'
172 Star Wraith- I actually found this disc and very rarely use it.
162 Champ Orc- This disc has become my go-to driver for most holes. I got it as a present so it's a little bit lighter than I'd like and I tend to turn it over when I don't mean to, but most of the time, I'm happy with it.
171 Champ Beast- New disc, still figuring out what I'll use it for.
158 Champ Sidewinder- Dog leg right turn over shots. I don't use this disc too often.
175 Echo Star Valk- Straight drives and long turnover shots.

Fairway Drivers-

150 DX Viper- Spike hyzers and Tomahawk throws
175 Leopard- New disc, still figuring out what I'll use it for.

Mids:
171 Star Kite- This disc was an experiment of mine gone wrong, too US for me.
150 Star Skeeter- This disc was a present as well, way too US for me. Feels the same as the kite to me.
DX Cobra- Not sure about the weight, but between 168-175. Turnover shots <250'
180 Shark- Straight shots with a hyzer at the end
171 Pro Roc- hyzer shots and drives under 300'
164 Star Mako- Typically my go-to mid range, holds every line. Sometimes used for a long putter

Putters:
164 JK pro Aviar- Putter for almost anything
170 dx Birdie- Old putter, dont use.

Any suggestions for this bag? New discs, get rid of discs? I feel like my long putting game is lacking. Maybe just the player, not the equipment.

You're missing overstable discs (besides the 150 DX Viper). You need something for the windy days. You can shape some fun lines with overstable discs (big flex shots, panning sky anhyzers, skip shots, etc). Try either a Firebird or a Predator. The Predator would probably be more useful given the contents of your bag. It's not overstable enough to be dedicated to trick-shot duty only, but it can still handle any wind you throw at it and you can shape many lines with it.

Very good point. I'll probably get a champ Firebird. I prefer Innova almost always because their plastics are familiar to me. What weight would you recommend? I usually prefer heavier discs but never really had a OS driver. Should I get a lower weight?

The Firebird will be OS no matter what weight you get, but I wouldn't go lower than high 160s. Pick out whatever looks good to you.

You seem to be missing a workhorse stable fairway driver - Eagle, Teebird, etc. Firebird should be a good OS driver for your distance.

Sidewinder, Beast, Valkyrie - pick one. Same with Orc and Wraith. Trade the discs you don't use, but pour gasoline on the Birdie and set it on fire. ;)

I would also suggest carrying a dedicated driving putter, maybe another Aviar. Losing your only putter can ruin a round.

Good luck!

I was thinking that, but then I remembered how similar the Orc is to a PD and I figured he could cover a lot of shots with that disc. If only it wasn't so light...

I was looking at potentially picking up an eagle, I just can't think of a time I'd use it. It seems like it'd just be a shorter Orc. What utility would it add?

I probably will get rid of the sidewinder then and have to throw the beast more to see which I like more. Definitely going with the orc over the wraith. :)

I probably will end up getting a dart for a driving putter. Been looking at them for a long time and want to try one out. Have you had some experience with one?

I was looking at potentially picking up an eagle, I just can't think of a time I'd use it. It seems like it'd just be a shorter Orc. What utility would it add?
Eagle would complement your Leopard and give you more control / less skip on the lower end of your Orc range, and an easier throw / more fade on the upper end of your Roc range. I dunno - you throw farther than I do, and I have seen a number of folks with your distance who jump from a midrange to a "slow" distance driver like an Orc or PD.

I probably will get rid of the sidewinder then and have to throw the beast more to see which I like more. Definitely going with the orc over the wraith. :)
Sounds like a good plan.

I probably will end up getting a dart for a driving putter. Been looking at them for a long time and want to try one out. Have you had some experience with one?
I have not thrown a Dart, but a lot of folks like them for approaches. The only complaint I hear about the Dart is distance control, which would be easier with a more stable putter (Wizard, Ion, beaded Aviar, etc.) or even an overstable putter (Rhyno, Jokeri, VP, Pig, etc.).

By the way, if you're a big ultimate player you should get yourself a Condor. I have yet to meet an ultimate player that doesn't like that disc and they're deadly accurate with it for approaches.

Well, today I went up to disc nation and got a firebird, eagle, teebird, and spider. All dx and 175 except the firebird which is champion. I have to say I really like the discs. The teebird I didn't get too much use out of today but there are holes at other courses I know I'll use it for. The firebird is the perfect amount of overstablr for me and the eagle quickly became my go to for straight distance. I meant to check out the condor as well but completely forgot once I got in the store :0. Thanks for the suggestion, guys.