• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Here's my drive - how can I improve?

Would you mind taking a screenshot of the particular thing you mean here? Sorry for being dumb or something, but I blame the language barrier :p And I really appreciate you helping me.

think of ballerina's leg when spinning-- notice Paige is no ballerina :D

well its actually opposite of that as it allows for better positioning of the body for the angle which you are trying to release.

For example throwing a big anhyzer or tight hyzerflip is much easier when running up \ (from back right to the front left) as it opens your stance up a bit more and is very exaggerated for shots like a roller which I often approach from almost 90 degrees from the right of the teepad.

Vise-versa coming from the back left for a hyzer shot as its keeping your shoulders/body closed much more naturally in relationship to where you are throwing. IMO when trying to throw a straight shot it is MUCH easier to run up slightly right to left vs straight and in doing this you almost feel like you are aiming too far "left" but actually aiming with the body and not trying to throw a Frisbee catch toss anymore.

Yeah, I can totally see that now :) Had to "get a feel" for it in my head before I could see it though :p Great reply.

Also when you swing into the backswing you lift your front heel up way early. It should be the last thing to move because it gets pulled up from the hip turn.

Is this the part you're talking about?

Drive_zps63a7569a.png

Is this the part you're talking about?

Drive_zps63a7569a.png
Nope, I'm talking about the front foot heel(other foot) in your standstill as you reachback.

That ^ pic is also bad positioning what I was referring to earlier, you will almost never see any pro in that position with the circle.

Where are you from?

Nope, I'm talking about the front foot heel(other foot) in your standstill as you reachback.

That ^ pic is also bad positioning what I was referring to earlier, you will almost never see any pro in that position with the circle.

Where are you from?

Yeah, I shouldn't be lifting the ball of the foot like that. The foot shouldn't even be pointing that much in that direction, should it?

Oh, so you mean this then:

Foot_zpsda64f301.png

I'm from Sweden by the way :)

Correct. You should move more like you have on ice skates.

Your arm should be straight before the heel lifts up there and turn the hips to bring the arm back. You lift the heel early. The turning of the front hip backward should pull the heel up.

Ignore the 360 part, just pay attention the sequence back and forth.

Correct. You should move more like you have on ice skates.

Your arm should be straight before the heel lifts up there and turn the hips to bring the arm back. You lift the heel early. The turning of the front hip backward should pull the heel up.

Ignore the 360 part, just pay attention the sequence back and forth.

Thanks for the quick response :) But doesn't that only apply to stand still shots? When doing the x-step, the heel is already up when you reach back, since you plant your ball first and let it proceed to the heel, no?

I agree with Asian Style that the pivot is a result, not a goal.

I also think you are moving too quickly. Remember, it's a rotation that gets the disc up to speed, not forward motion of your body. Perhaps your shoulders are moving forward too much during the throw (from speed/weight shift?) rather than rotating "around" your plant leg and staying a little behind it (the "bracing" term). When this happens correctly, you will naturally pivot around the foot rather than swinging in front of it and needing to step forward as aggressively in the follow through.

Focus on trying to swing around your axis rather than going "forwards".

im beginner, trying to figure this out

I have heard people saying that the motion should be from back to front, so it should be forward movement. not around the axis.

I am talking about the body movement, or you are talking about arm movement?

here is the video part about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI&t=3m40s

Sorry if that was confusing, I'll try to clarify a bit.

There is certainly a weight shift from back to front. What I was getting at is that once your weight is shifted to the plant foot...it is "planted" and you are on a rotational axis. This is where the bracing comes in.

At this point, you do not want to have your shoulders move in front of the plant foot; you do not want to continue "forwards" and have to step in front anymore. (It is ok to "gently" step in front after/during followthrough in a controlled manner...having to "walk out" the throw with the back leg is indicative that you didn't brace against the plant foot well)

Your weight should be braced against this front foot and your momentum should be rotating around the axis you have set with your plant foot.