• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey from Wisconsin & question

Tree_Knocker

Hey everyone!

Greetings from WI! My children and I have only been playing for about a month and are having a blast. We haven't lost any discs yet and my son has found two... one of which we returned to its owner as it had a name and number on it.
I have a question. Even though I'm not really in the market for one yet as I have a way to go and a lot to learn just playing with my putter and mid range disc; I've been researching fairway drivers. What do you all think of these four and which one would you recommend over the others? Looking for something forgiving. River, JLS, Sabre or T-Bone?
They just seem to be fairly neutral when looking at turn and fade numbers. As I'm new, I don't necessarily know for what I am looking, so if there's something better, let me know. I've read a lot of different sites and there seems to be some commonality around the Leopard, XL, etc but also a lot of variety. Thanks for your help and input. I throw LHBH. Sorry for being long winded.

T-bone? I had to google that one.

Welcome to the site!

The River, and Leo are popular discs that any player can use, from beginner, to pro. The JLS is also a great disc. I have it in Quantum plastic, but hear it's also really good in Millenium plastic.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a DX Leopard, in a weight you're comfortable with. If you're feeling a little adventurous, pick up an MVP Amp as well. The two make a great pair, since the Amp is a little more stable, and won't beat in nearly as quickly as the DX Leo will.

Again, welcome to the addiction!

Welcome fellow Wisconsinite :D
Out of all the discs you listed I'd recommend the River. B/c your new to this sport it's a great beginner disc & later you'll love it for understable shots. Other suggestions for Fairways that would work would be a Teebird or Leopard. Also I highly recommend getting a Buzzz or Comet. These are great discs that hold the line you put on them. When it comes to putters just use what feels best in your hand, but I would say get your putting putter in max weight (175) so it is less affected by the wind.

Depending on where you are I have plenty of used discs for you to try out to see what works. I am in Milwaukee but will be out and about travelling the next few weekends as I attempt to finish all the courses in WI.

Let me know.

A note on the River:

It's a great fairway for beginners, but it is pretty nose-angle-sensitive(you asked for something forgiving). It will take a bit to get the hang of it, but that fact would make it an even better choice IMO because it will help you work out kinks in your form.

Welcome to the site and enjoy discing. I'm from WI too! :hfive:

Depending on where you are I have plenty of used discs for you to try out to see what works. I am in Milwaukee but will be out and about travelling the next few weekends as I attempt to finish all the courses in WI.

Let me know.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer.

Let me know.

If you're gonna be playing Ripon let me know and i might be able to play too. :)

T-bone? I had to google that one.

Welcome to the site!

The River, and Leo are popular discs that any player can use, from beginner, to pro. The JLS is also a great disc. I have it in Quantum plastic, but hear it's also really good in Millenium plastic.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a DX Leopard, in a weight you're comfortable with. If you're feeling a little adventurous, pick up an MVP Amp as well. The two make a great pair, since the Amp is a little more stable, and won't beat in nearly as quickly as the DX Leo will.

Again, welcome to the addiction!

I really like my MVP Anode. I like it even better when I can convince my little guy to play with a different disk. He likes the way it flies. :D

I would recommend the qjls. I actually use one as my main fairway driver. If you want an even more straight with less fade at the end, buy a qpls. My nephew uses them and they are basically a teebird. I started out with a leopard years ago, and if you buy one and outgrow it, you can always give it to another noob in the future. Welcome to the site and a wonderful game.

Hi, welcome! I'm new the the site as well, but also from SE WI. My son has been using a 150g Leopard with great success. He likes my Nuke SS, but it's waaaay too much disc for an 8-year old arm.

A JLS in the 155-165 range would actually be a great choice for an adult. I know it's not a beginner disc, per se, but it's not hard to throw and as you improve your technique, it won't hold you back.

hey fellow cheesehead. welcome to the site. as a fellow newbie, i can not believe i went without a teebird for the first year i played. i got lucky and found one at play it again sports that is one of the specila edition discs and now i am hooked on the bird. it is ikn near perfect shape and this disc just goes and goes. gentle fade at the end. now i am looking for champs, star, and dx as well because i know they each act a little different. i have actually started using the se teebird as my go to driver here on the short course around me. it must be helping with my form issues because i have already noticed a difference when i pull out my valkyrie.

hey fellow cheesehead. welcome to the site. as a fellow newbie, i can not believe i went without a teebird for the first year i played. i got lucky and found one at play it again sports that is one of the specila edition discs and now i am hooked on the bird. it is ikn near perfect shape and this disc just goes and goes. gentle fade at the end. now i am looking for champs, star, and dx as well because i know they each act a little different. i have actually started using the se teebird as my go to driver here on the short course around me. it must be helping with my form issues because i have already noticed a difference when i pull out my valkyrie.

The Bird is the word. I also took over a year to finally pick one up, and now it's my main driver.

Of those you mentioned I'd go with the River. But personally I didn't quite like it. So I'd recommend a Leopard. A light one. A 150g Champion Leopard early on changed my game. 6+ years later I still carry one as well as a heavier Star Leopard. Forgiving, great distance, does most things quite well, and easy to throw. It won't win you any prizes into a strong headwind, but other than that I think you can't miss with a Leopard. I'm partial to the better plastics, they just last longer.

Oh yeah, where is my manners...

Welcome.

Don't get any white discs, you won't want to miss playing in the snow! One of the real beauties of this sport, its an all year affair.