• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hobos: course hazard or new friends?

What would your hobo name be?

Mine is Whiskey Toots.

Ha! Mine is, er, would be Stubbs Magee.

Didn't there used to be a very large difference between "hobos" and "bums?"
Hobos, from what I understand, used to be mostly respectable migrant workers. They'd stop on farms and do odd jobs, etc. They even developed a system of short-hand writing to help other hobos find places that would hire them for a night, etc.

Bums are just dead beat homeless people.

I've chilled with a couple of hobos before in college (there was a huge trainyard right behind our school's football field.) They were very nice, totally cool, and it seemed almost like a lifestyle choice.

Bums are scary, f'd up people...

Just sayin'....:\

Ha! Mine is, er, would be Stubbs Magee.

Didn't there used to be a very large difference between "hobos" and "bums?"
Hobos, from what I understand, used to be mostly respectable migrant workers. They'd stop on farms and do odd jobs, etc. They even developed a system of short-hand writing to help other hobos find places that would hire them for a night, etc.

Bums are just dead beat homeless people.

I've chilled with a couple of hobos before in college (there was a huge trainyard right behind our school's football field.) They were very nice, totally cool, and it seemed almost like a lifestyle choice.

Bums are scary, f'd up people...

Just sayin'....:\
Wikipedia is an external hard drive for my brain. It says:

A Hobo is a migratory worker or homeless vagabond, often penniless. The term originated in the western—probably northwestern—United States during the last decade of the 19th century. Unlike tramps, who worked only when they were forced to, and bums, who didn't work at all, hobos were workers who wandered.

We use to have a local tramp called the BJ bandit. He/she gave free BJ's to anyone that asked.

Wikipedia is an external hard drive for my brain. It says:

A Hobo is a migratory worker or homeless vagabond, often penniless. The term originated in the western—probably northwestern—United States during the last decade of the 19th century. Unlike tramps, who worked only when they were forced to, and bums, who didn't work at all, hobos were workers who wandered.

Thank you, I forgot about the (often marginalized) tramps. Damn tramps! :|

I was in Vegas a couple years ago and had the chance to play some of thier courses. They were pretty flat and open with the 2 main obstacles being sparse trees and bums. I was actually excited to be there but really disappointed to not be able to throw any rollers. Bums are the Manatee of disc golf courses.

Yeah, that's the course I'm talking about. Good ole sunset park

i havent run into hobos yet, i guess it will be interesting

Yeah, that's the course I'm talking about. Good ole sunset park

All three times I've played there it's been filled with people sleeping under benches and trees all over the course, I was amazed we didn't hit any of them, especially since none of them even opened their eyes for yells of fore or watch out... :\

I've only come across the homeless once. I threw a disc way right in the woods and happened to almost stumble on him as I realized there was actually a person laying on the ground. Kinda spooked me for a second and then I just kinda went around him...

Sucks to see that, especially when you're playing disc on a nice day.