• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade Light Box

jskatt21

Par Member
So after looking around town and a bit on the internet, and finding that most Light Boxes were either way too big or way to expensive, I decided to make my own.

Here is the supply list:
1 - 1x4x8 - (Home Depot) $2
1 - 11x14 Sheet of plexiglass (Home Depot) $4
2 - 8 in. Linkable Undercabinet lights (Wal-Mart) $17
I had a scrap of a thin board lying around and also had some screws as well.

Pretty simple to set-up. Make a frame the size of the plexiglass. Cut the thin board to the size as well. Cut or drill a hole to allow the cord to exit. Attach the bottom to the frame, and for the plexiglass top I used a counter sink bit to allow the screws to be flush with the surface. Make sure to pre-drill all holes!

The lights that I purchased were great allowing the two to be linked together while using one power cord. This will be nice if needing more or less light in the future.

All in all it seems to work great, may be a bit bright so I may purchase a frost spray, or use paper as a filter for the light.

Let me know if you have any questions. Great way to save $75 or more!

Attachments

• IMG_4012.jpg
    IMG_4012.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 146
Thanks for posting.

Um, I've read your post three times all the way through. You can chalk this up to my ignorance, but what does this "light box" you speak of have to do with disc golf?

Glow discs, or something?

Edit: Dyeing?

Sorry I should have been more clear. I will be using this for Disc Dyeing. I you have a design you want to do, you lay it over the box and set your vinyl or contact paper over a cut. I also have has success laying the contact paper directly on the disc and cutting on the disc with the image below.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I will be using this for Disc Dyeing. I you have a design you want to do, you lay it over the box and set your vinyl or contact paper over a cut. I also have has success laying the contact paper directly on the disc and cutting on the disc with the image below.

Ah. That makes all the sense in the world. Thanks for "enlightening" me.

Jukeshoe: <-----Dodges rotten tomatoes. :D

I actually made a light box somewhat similar to that at one time. (Not even related to DG) But, it's easier if you make the top at an angle, so that it's not uncomfortable sitting and tracing/cutting or whatever you'll be doing. Trust me, extended use of this will begin to get tiring on the back. Might want to consider making alterations to it to incorporate an angled top. It shouldn't be too hard.

I actually made a light box somewhat similar to that at one time. (Not even related to DG) But, it's easier if you make the top at an angle, so that it's not uncomfortable sitting and tracing/cutting or whatever you'll be doing. Trust me, extended use of this will begin to get tiring on the back. Might want to consider making alterations to it to incorporate an angled top. It shouldn't be too hard.

Its funny you mentioned this, I was just thinking about this last night. I think I will be making some sort of make shift stand for it.

I was talking to my roommate about wanting a light table for dying. A few days latter I came home from playing a few rounds to see that he took it upon himself to make one. It started out as a 2' tall x1' x'1 with a piece of clear polycarbonate as the top. He mounted a standard light fixture in it. Since it was built it has been upgraded to have a switch and a 4" fan. I installed a flood light which was heating up the polycarb to a point that got hot to the touch. Now it stays pretty cool. I must say having it has helped aligning when doing multi color dyes or when dying esp/star plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 87
I made mine with a slant on it as well so its easy to work on. Its not very large at all though and i used some plug in light that I got from Lowes.. Works pretty good!
I haven't even thought about using the light to line up the disc to align designs though, thats such an excellent simple one of those "why didn't I think of that?!" ideas!

I made on too this weekend, so handy to have one

Attachments

• light_box_frame.jpg
    light_box_frame.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 51
  • light_box_with_foil.jpg
    light_box_with_foil.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 55
  • LB_on.jpg
    LB_on.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 61
Jskatt21 thanks for the info on the lights. I built my own today and couldn't find a decent light with ballast at Lowes so i went to Walmart and found the 13" inch version of those lights. Works great!

0918102020.jpg

You can use the plastic panels for drop ceiling fluorescent lights to soften and disperse the light. I used that below the plexi glass on my ghetto homemade lightbox. The frame is an old repurposed kitchen drawer.

Attachments

• workspace.jpg
    workspace.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 37
  • lightbox.jpg
    lightbox.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 44
I was very close to using your idea AP except I didn't have the glass. My original method was using my doorwall during the day LOL