• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade oop discs

The other potential with this that hasn't been touched on is that you could make your own plastic blends out of just about anything. It wouldn't have to be old discs that you melted down. They might fly differently, but it would be pretty neat imo.

KC pro.

Could you operate in a vacuum instead of pressure?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you suggesting evacuating the mold/area around the mold in order to create a pressure difference from the atmosphere on the other side of the plastic? That seems really complicated/expensive while probably providing you with a smaller pressure differential.

It's not complicated to create the pressure the traditional way. You basically put the plastic in a piston, melt it, and then push down the plunger to force the plastic into the mold.

I do this all the time with a crude injection mold machine and old CE discs. It's great. I buy up all the super thrashed CE discs I can find, grind them up, remelt them and then inject them into a home-made Eagle X mold I made. It's given me an unlimited supply of CE EXs (that are greyish).

Plastic degrades over time and with UV exposure. Even if you were to make discs from old discs they would never be as durable as the original. There was a really interesting article in disc golfer mag about how Dave D. made his first discs.

I for one would love to see some of these home made discs. Personally I buy my discs from the internet. PDGA approved and all.

I would love to see a video process of how to do this. This has to be one of the best ideas that I have ever heard of, but how to you go about grinding the plastic up, what do you use?

I thought only Vibram used a press, while innova did a spin to ensure proper weight distribusion.
Not only would bubbles be an issue, there would likely be spots of irregularity of density and thickness creating an off-centered disc. Even if the disc comes out great, it will still be an illegal disc, so why spend that effort when there are so many similar discs in other brands?

Please, when you attempt this crazy thing that will never work, melt it out doors in a well ventilated area. We dont want 1 less DGCR member.

I thought only Vibram used a press, while innova did a spin to ensure proper weight distribusion.
Not only would bubbles be an issue, there would likely be spots of irregularity of density and thickness creating an off-centered disc. Even if the disc comes out great, it will still be an illegal disc, so why spend that effort when there are so many similar discs in other brands?

So you are saying this guy has the new epic? Over hand throwers will be lining up at his door to try this disc.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you suggesting evacuating the mold/area around the mold in order to create a pressure difference from the atmosphere on the other side of the plastic? That seems really complicated/expensive while probably providing you with a smaller pressure differential.

It's not complicated to create the pressure the traditional way. You basically put the plastic in a piston, melt it, and then push down the plunger to force the plastic into the mold.

Vacuum bagging is a method used in making parts out of composites. You put the mold, mat and resin in the vacuum machine, suck all the air out and it makes a quality piece.

If you were to pour the plastic into the mold and suck the air out it would do roughly the same thing as molding under pressure, would it not?

I mention this because there are plenty of home fiberglass/carbon fiber/kevlar fabricators but I have never heard of a dude injection molding in the house.

Speaking of which, if you make a mold why not make a disc out of carbon fiber since they will be all illegal as hell anyways?

I think you are very daring to try making your own in house. Best of luck if you try.

I can see it now.

In news casters voice "Police raid a house hoping to find a meth lab, but quickly realize it is just a man making home made frisbees and report him to the pdga."

On related news man receives a pipe cleaner doll for Christmas.