• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade oop discs

There's also the issue of getting the plastic to say in the mold rather than getting sucked into the source of the vacuum. You don't have that problem when you create the pressure differential by applying pressure to the plastic instead until the mold gets full.

I totally agree that injection is the best way, but it sounds to me like he's leaning towards a pour over injection. The challenge then isn't keeping material out of the vacum, it's building a chamber large enough to hold the mold. One way or another this project will require some above average garage engineering to pull off.

I recently was thinking I would like a whippet made out of champ or star plastic to fight the quick wear of the dx plastic. As we know they do not make this disk in theses plastics and, this is not the only disk that "suffers" from this reality. plaster cast molds can be made in a few hours and a trip to a craft/art store but the plastic is where I am stuck. It seems that you could cut up a random champ disc and melt it down pour it into your own mold and after a good cooling period have a star whippet. So the question, have any of you guys ever tried this? were you successful or no? also does any one have any ideas that may help in my own future experiments?

P.S. I do not think it is ok to make and sell any successful copied discs. This is only an idea on how to let fans of certain oop discs or, discs that are not made in certain plastics a way to keep hold of what may be their bread and butter.

P.P.S. As of yet I have not tried to do this. I am just looking for some info for a jumping point.

OK! See if I can help here. I've been an injection molder my entire adult life.(21+ years) First off, if I had a nickle for every time someone came through our door and wanted us to "pour" them some plastic in a pan or what not, so they could mold it into something, I would be a rich man! To melt the type of plastic for Champ or Star, it will need to be around 350 to 400 degrees. Also, you just don't melt it. It is a combination of heat and compression that melts plastic. Then it would require about 800 to 1200 psi of injection pressure to inject it into the mold. You would also need an injection molding machine with about 200 tons of clamp pressure. Oh yeah, you might want to use stainless steel for your mold instead of plaster. I hope this helps. I could explain in more detail later. I have to get back to my machines.

Reality rears its ugly head ^

So far nothing can dissuade Wiley Coyote...but that just might do the trick.

might

It's too bad the OP is lost in Ohio, he could meet up with that mattkav guy and check out the process first hand.

images

haha, the old man called the s#!+ poop.

seriously the motion already passed keep going with it ohio.

6 days in and we may just have the thread of the year...especially if the deed goes down and he takes pics.

Vibration might help. When the plastic gets poured in have some vibration going on the mold to wiggle out the air. Just a thought.

I'm not sure this idea could work or not, but every idea and invention started out getting told it was crazy, so I say go for it!

I'm not sure a homemade disc would be as durable as even DX plastic though. But I bet you could make some runs of really grippy plastic.