• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Did You Discover Disc Golf?

I was planning a roadtrip to Florida to see my parents . . . I was looking for a place to stop for lunch where we could explore and do something fun. I settled on Elizabethtown, KY as our place to stop, partially because we both enjoyed the romantic comedy about that town. I found a park (Freeman Lake Park) and read about it online. It said it had an 18 hole disc golf course and I thought that sounded fun. It was partially an inside joke between my wife and I because whenever we played frisbee together I would end up running all over because she couldnt throw it consistently in any one direction. I figured . . . if she throws it errant to the right she might correct that and learn how to make it go left, but either way she had to pick up her own frisbee.

She was not thrilled with the game initially AT ALL! Eventually she got better and now she is consistent and loves the game.

I was taking photos at a park and saw some baskets. A friend told me what they were for and I thought...Wow! that would be nice to do with my sons. So we went the following week with some frisbees, but didn't even know where to tee off. A local took mercy on us, showed us around and gifted us some hand me down discs....Well, much plastic later, we are all pretty addicted to this wonderful sport. I'm just glad that I picked that particular park to take photos, or else I would really be missing something....

edit: sorry prerube, three posts since I started typing & I did NOT intend blasphemy!

;) Not trying to be clever here, just thought I'd help out in the prerubing department:
How did you get started?
Why did you start playing disc golf?

I think I wrote in one of those about walking for exercise, getting bored with that, dragging out my 1970's Wham-O discs & playing an 18-hole object course in the neighborhood until a neighbor talked to me about real DG, mentioning having worked with a woman who was 'pretty good at it' (I discovered she's 5x World Champ Tammy Pelicane). Then I started in Sept. 2011, played tournaments and leagues all of 2012...

This thread is deja vu all over again.

I was coaxed into it by my brother, and a mutual friend/co-worker. They had played a bunch of rounds and kept telling me I should try it out. I finally decided to go out with them. I'll never forget me telling my wife, "I'm just going to go this once. I'll probably not like it, and never go again." :D

My friend let me borrow his beat DX Roc as my only disc for my very first round. I stunk it up big time, but there was one shot that sealed the deal for me. I was about 175 feet from the basket on hole 10, and I let the disc fly. It soared beautifully in the air, and almost hit the basket. My brother and friend were impressed, and it was all over for me. The next day I went to Innova's website, found this site, and bought my own discs.

The funny thing is, my brother, and friend hardly play anymore. I'm the only addict that I know personally.

When I was in grad school, the person I was observing asked if I wanted to try. I was recently removed from the school ultimate team because I no longer had health insurance, so I said what the heck. I threw my first game entirely with a wolf and still came back :)
I did not join DGCR right away because none of my friends were on the site and I did not want to be the first since I was the rookie in the group, but after 14 courses I needed a way to keep track and I joined. 5 years later the guy who got me started finally joined.

My hometown installed a disc golf course the summer after my eighth grade year. My friends and I would play off and on through high school. After graduation, we would usually get together and play a round whenever a group of buddies were back in town. Occassionally, we would go on a stint where we would play consistently during a given summer. It was always a social thing.

These days, the main reason I play is to get outside and stay active.

I had friends who played and talked about it when I was in high school and when we got a course here in my new town, I mentioned off-hand to my wife that it would be fun to try sometime. A few months later she surprised me with a disccraft starter set for my birthday. I played the par 34 course the next day and shot 42. Only 4 months later I was down to a 30 and still trying to improve just as much as on day 1! I love this sport (By the way thank you to these forums for giving me a place to learn about the sport. Also thanks for saving me and my wallet from spending money on useless discs, and pointing me towards some amazing ones as well.)

In high school a dude we knew lent a friend of mine a Cyclone, Comet, and some lid putter. Three of us went to Ellison to try it out- we had to share the 3 discs. On hole 7 (500ft wide open downhill bomb) one guy (not me) threw a magical 400ft laser with the lid that I swear was in the air for a full minute. Once you see that there's pretty much no turning back.

In high school a dude we knew lent a friend of mine a Cyclone, Comet, and some lid putter. Three of us went to Ellison to try it out- we had to share the 3 discs. On hole 7 (500ft wide open downhill bomb) one guy (not me) threw a magical 400ft laser with the lid that I swear was in the air for a full minute. Once you see that there's pretty much no turning back.

Ellison was my first course as well.

played once with some casual players from college. few months later, wanted something to do with my wife outdoors and bought a couple of discs and got hooked from then on.

My younger brother actually had gotten a few discs from one of his local youth group leaders who played. He bugged me all the time to drive him to the DG course because he didn't have his license yet. I finally caved in when he said that he would buy me Taco Bell on the way home. I actually hated it at first. I thought it was stupid etc. About a year ago on a visit home (I am military) my brother was excited that he got a new disc in the mail and begged me to take him. He had a license this time but no car. The Taco Bell agreement came again. This time my brother gave me an Aviar, Shark and an Orc. I ended up losing to my brother by 2 strokes (a double bogie on the 18th :( hole). This time I was hooked and now whenever I come home the loser has to pay for the Taco Bell.

My mom forced me to hang with her boyfriend. He wanted to take me disc golfing. I played nice and agreed to go. I really like it as it put me in a sport (I had recently just finished high school football). I liked it but never played with the douche again.

Me and friends from high school heard of a course in a park close by. We had been tossing since I was about 13, I was 21 then, so we all got a Frisbee and played it for 2 summers. That was 1979 and 80. In 1987 I worked with a guy who said he played in a disc golf league. I started playing in those leagues and joined the PDGA that year.

Latest posts