• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Did You Discover Disc Golf?

I saw a segment on 60 Minutes I believe back in the late 70's or early 80's about guys playing object golf on a college campus. Then in 1982 or 1983 they installed a course at Iroquois Park in Louisville where I lived at the time. My friend Ike and I started playing but we didn't really know the rules. If there was a long putt we'd take a running jump and dunk the disc in the basket LOL. I threw something called a Mold 80 back then.

I was asked to play by a co-worker in 1995 in Manhattan, KS. We played a course on the campus of Kansas State. No baskets. Trees and Light Poles were marked with tape at basket height. Luckily for us an Outdoor Store in town carried a few Innova discs. First disc was a DX Barracuda . Sadly, I gave up playing seriously until about 5 years ago when I took it up with a vengeance again.

I first played it on the Wii :) Lol Thats where I learned that you played with a driver, mid, and putter. Winter of 2009 a 9 hole course was put up at a park right next to my neighborhood so decided to give it a try. Went to PIAS and bought a Cheetah, Shark, and a DX Aviar (Not even one of those starter packs, just got those discs randomly from the used bin Haha) Played occasionally with my friends until the beginning of last summer (2011) where we started playing on a regular basis, 2-3 times a week. I am now officially addicted to the sport, and get upset when I don't play at least 4 rounds a week. My nephew is 7, and I plan on getting him started early.. so he doesn't have to wait til he's 19 to learn about the sport like I did.

Back in 2007, I was driving overnight , and listening to a Trucking Radio Show. The show had regular callers, so they had a lot of running gags on the show. One night a guy called in, and asked the host when they were going to go and play Frisbee Golf. I thought it was just another joke. He called back a few days later , and they talked more about it, so I started to think, "Maybe this is real", so I went home and looked it up online, and was shocked to find it was a real sport.

I didn't know where to buy discs, so I went on Craig's List and found a lady selling 16 discs for $30, so I bought them. My friend and I just found a local course and just started putting with all of them (drivers and all) and tossed them a little bit, be we really were not sure how to play. I looked up the rules online , and watched some youtube videos, and the rest is history. Been hooked ever since.

How I started throwing discs

I used to work at a pizza joint called Papa Joe's right on the edge of Ann Morrison park which is where our major disc golf course in Boise is located. All of the players used to come through and get beers and/or food between rounds, and after tournaments. After one tournament they had a box of tie-dye discs left over and one of the guys gave me one, and told me that you could drink beer and play at the same time. That sounded like my kind of sport so I started playing with a couple of my friends. For the next couple of years on and off my buddies and I would head out on the course a couple times each summer and drink and hang out, we wouldn't even keep score. That was all I knew of the game and all I cared to know at the time. Last summer however my wife and I had our daughter, I wanted something active to do that my little girl could do with me so I started leaving the beer at home and bringing my her with me instead. She loved being outside in the park, and I liked throwing discs. We would head out and throw a round or two every day during the summer, and my game started to improve drastically, so I decided to take the game seriously for a change. I went from never keeping score to throwing par pretty consistently. I consider this last year my first real year of playing, and I am hooked for good. I just got my first ace today, and I will be playing in my first tournament coming up in January.

I first played it on the Wii :)
We'll never forget the first time a family came in to buy discs, and they said, "Yeah we played disc golf on Tiger Woods and it looked really fun!"

Amazing. Disc Golf is now being discovered via video games... this is the future!

We'll never forget the first time a family came in to buy discs, and they said, "Yeah we played disc golf on Tiger Woods and it looked really fun!"

Amazing. Disc Golf is now being discovered via video games... this is the future!

That is precisely what I was thinking just the other day when I saw there is a local WI gentleman developing a disc golf game. It needs to be realistic yet not overcomplicated and non disc golfers will find it fun!!!!

While us avid players of the game might want legitimate exact replicas of all our favorite disc molds, that will not be the game for the masses.

I told a friend I needed something to do for some exercise and he suggested discgolf. Of course my answer was disc what. After he explained it we set a time and met at Newport News Park. He gave me a Beast and a Rhyno to throw. I was hooked.

I was at the place I currently sit as I type this, horseshoe canyon ranch, on a rock climbing trip, disc golf and rental discs was included in the climbing fee of $5. Today was the first time I played the course since then, 1040 courses played since the last time I played, perspective sure changes, I vaguely remember some of the shots, I wish I had a scorecard from then, it would be fun to know what I shot that first round with just some off brand driver and putter. Great course.

From there, it became something that we included in our rock climbing trips, and not long after I started planning primarily DG trips, have hardly touched my climbing gear since and haven't looked back. We have climbing gear with us in the van right now, but aren't too excited about hitting the wall tomorrow...

Latest posts