• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you feel about Luke Humphries #69424?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogeyNoMore

* Ace No More *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
KJUSA usually contends pretty well. Maybe top 10, but unless he really starts clicking, I doubt he finishes top 5.

I developed a certain respect for KJ after seeing up close how he conducted himself at DGLO over the past few years. He didn't just go through the motions of thanking me for spotting. He made eye contact and even gave me a fist bump. Always seems to be a nice guy and great card mate.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot more of him with Luke Humphries, a d something about Humphries just rubs me the wrong way. I don't know a blessed thing about him, and can't recall if I've ever run into him on Toboggan, but dude just comes across to me as kinda slimey.

So, now I find it harder to get behind KJ, because of my judging Luke Humphries' book based on a cover I don't particularly care for... and he seems to be KJ's guy. I put a bit of stock in, "the company you keep."

:\

Last edited:
I think a lot of people get that feeling associated with Humphries.

With KJ, it's like a kid with endless energy. I don't know how much time he actually spends with Luke by choice or if it is because Luke is tied in with GK and skins. Is it intentional or is it circumstantial?

KJUSA is probably who I would expect most out of my "other" category since he has big wins recently (DGPT Championship being the biggest), but he hasn't been on the leaderboard much this year from what I've seen.

Limited exposure to Humphries, but I get the same vibes. Not a fan.

KJUSA usually contends pretty well. Maybe top 10, but unless he really starts clicking, I doubt he finishes top 5.

I developed a certain respect for KJ after seeing up close how he conducted himself at DGLO over the past few years. He didn't just go through the motions of thanking me for spotting. He made eye contact and even gave me a fist bump. Always seems to be a nice guy and great card mate.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot more of him with Luke Humphries, a d something about Humphries just rubs me the wrong way. I don't know a blessed thing about him, and can't recall if I've ever run into him on Toboggan, but dude just comes across to me as kinda slimey.

So, now I find it harder to get behind KJ, because of my judging Luke Humphries' book based on a cover I don't particularly care for... and he seems to be KJ's guy. I put a bit of stock in, "the company you keep."

:\
The Humphries dude is really the reason I prefer virtually anything else disc golf over watching the skins matches. He seems to be a total negative to my enjoyment of the videos. That's just me, and he must have some positive influence on their viewership to get to keep being in them... but yeah.

I don't know how much time he actually spends with Luke by choice or if it is because Luke is tied in with GK and skins. Is it intentional or is it circumstantial?
I get the impression it's more than just: "Gotta be in the same place, at the same time."

I've seen at least 1-2 other videos of them hanging together. Admittedly, I don't know squat about Humphries. :|

Being in Texas I know some people that know Humphries. They say he's a great guy.

I think he's good as the host of the skins games... he's very good friends with the Jomez people.. who are also in Texas.

KJ and Luke both throw Prodigy. They both seem to like each other as friends.

I think way too much internet detectiving is going into this.

Yeah, all I know is the video stuff. Seems like many of us get a similar vibe from Luke.

Admittedly a very superficial assessment on my part so I will stop commenting about him and make my personal choice like Chris has.

I've heard a lot of different people say that Humphries comes across as slimey, and no one provide any actual evidence that he is.

I think the sentiment really became popular when KJ had the incredible skins match Ace and Luke appeared to not care about Kevin's nasty spill but instead made some comments wondering if the shot got captured on tape. At least thats when the weird vibes started setting in for me.

Then there was his oblivious questioning of sexton as to where he was last year.

then there's his hats. enough said.

Add to that he lets his dog run all around in every video - in one video is reprimanded by the park popo's to get lil hogan on a leash - if I recall he went on to say that he had no leash.... (This one doesnt bother me as I often play with my dog/s off leash but who comes to a park with no leash at all??)

I think the cherry on top is his cool-guy approach in his speaking parts on the videos. IMO he gives the stoner-cool guy-unprofessional vibe intentionally but doesnt seem to have quick wits to really add any depth to the character. In interviews he doesnt usually seem prepared, everything in the videos is usually improvised and off the cuff - "this CTP is sponsored by XYZ, check em out".

Not that I think it's really gonna generate that much activity, but I hate derailing threads, so if you want to say something about him, do it here:

How do you feel about Luke Humphries #69424?

Feel free to talk him up. He's gotta have some supporters.

I like watching KJ play on coverage when he is competing...i can not stand him on the OTB skins...just my opinion...
as for Luke... He seems like the average disc golfer i meet. Nothing more, nothing less. Luke is easy enough to listen to when commentating. I actually mistook Luke for Perkins by voice only. I dont mind his presence in disc golf. He seems to fit right in.

I wasn't sure at first either, but I did like his 'hosting' style on the OTB skins matches - he keeps it loose but will amp up the action, provides a quick breakdown and seems to be able to go toe to toe with the trash talk.

I decided to check out his own channel and he actually seems like a genuinely good dude. He has lots of friends in the DG community, is well-liked here in DFW, and it doesn't seem like KJUSA would be BFFs with him if he was a douche IRL.

It seemed odd/off when he didn't do that one OTB skins match a few weeks back, and his announcing style goes well with some late-night discin' vids before bed IMO.

Gotta admit, I've come around - the back flips are a bit much but if I could do one I'd probably stick it in every video too.

That time he went to get beverages during a skins match, deliberately didn't wear a mask and had that scene inserted into the match was pretty weak.

That's all I'll say about that.

That time he went to get beverages during a skins match, deliberately didn't wear a mask and had that scene inserted into the match was pretty weak.

That's all I'll say about that.

Missed that one...but typical Texan idiocy.

I didn't watch much of the skins matches but I remember in one he was letting his dog loose while on the course of a public park where it was forbidden. He even was warned about it by a park employee or something. To me it felt like all those entitled guys that think because they know their dog they can bend the rules...

Other than that, I don't have anything for or against him, I don't know him but I don't mind how he does his host/commentator role.

...as for Luke... He seems like the average disc golfer i meet. Nothing more, nothing less. Luke is easy enough to listen to when commentating. I actually mistook Luke for Perkins by voice only. I dont mind his presence in disc golf. He seems to fit right in.

I really can't disagree with the underlined.

And as soon as I read that, the first person to enter my mind was Greg Barsby. He seems like the prototypical disc golfer.

Yet for whatever reason, I find Barsby orders of magnitude more likeable than Humphries.

YMMV

I will say I think Luke's better behind the mic, than in front of the camera.

Last edited:
I decided to start this thread, because:

1) I guess I brought the subject up in this thread.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3717075#post3717075

2) I hate derailing threads.

So please continue the discussion here.

Maybe we can get a mod to move the relevant posts from the other thread over here?
ca0ef80929bd8af86f6a9c61b521a387.png

Status
Not open for further replies.