• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you feel about Luke Humphries #69424?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ca0ef80929bd8af86f6a9c61b521a387.png

Lol! I don't blame you.

I seem to have helped push a few threads off the tracks lately.

I didn't watch much of the skins matches but I remember in one he was letting his dog loose while on the course of a public park where it was forbidden. He even was warned about it by a park employee or something. To me it felt like all those entitled guys that think because they know their dog they can bend the rules...

Other than that, I don't have anything for or against him, I don't know him but I don't mind how he does his host/commentator role.

Argggghhh. I got charged by someone's off leash dog yesterday morning. Normally I just grumble a little about the poop and the chewed up tennis balls but this made me kinda pissed.

I like Luke more than I like this thread? I get that people get irritated by different things, etc., but man, I don't get going out of one's way to turn an off hand observance into a request for people to bag on another human being.

Humphries strikes me as doing exactly what is being asked for on the OTB Skins series, propelling it along, letting people see a less serious, mildly spicy flavor of something that probably already happened in the DG touring scene anyway. A little money, a little humor, and a little trash talk, compelling content for many.

He strikes me as the laid back guy who managed to pull off a look that I couldn't because he's comfortable with who he is, and somehow knows how to. That guy who sings Margarittaville playing guitar while actually making margaritas, and makes it actually work.

At first I didn't like his skins videos, but he has grown on me and I do enjoy them now. He's gotten more comfortable in that role and it shows.

Just gotta dial back the number of 'Let's Go!' per round. :)

I don't really know if Luke is genuinely likable or not, but I do like his dog, I think?

Dude doesn't bother me. First time I saw him was the video when KJ aced the 500 foot hole when he slipped on the tee pad. I thought Luke looked like an anachronism dropped straight out of the 1890's. I enjoy the commentary on skins.

I like him as a host, and definitely don't get slimey vibes... I think he brings a good energy to skins, and brings a good balance to the group.

I will say I think Luke's better behind the mic, than in front of the camera.

I agree 100%. It may have been Vintage Open (?) when he was on post-pro commentary that I realized it. Thinking more about the difference, I came to this conclusion: hosting the OTB Skins matches is actually a kind of tough gig.

The host has a lot of different roles to fill. Score updates, hole previews and other course design/history commentary, he joins in with the banter of the card but also does mini one-on-one interviews with the players during the walks, sponsor shout outs...there's a lot to keep track of. And that job is done in real time while on the course during the round.

(When commentating post-produced coverage, on the other hand, a lot more is "given" to you. The score and sponsor graphics are already edited in before commentary is recorded. That means you don't have to introduce the information before adding insight -- the audience and the commentator are both watching the same thing.)

Humphries gets most of his exposure in the OTB Skins, and that means he's doing a lot of things at once. I think he tries to "force it" to be funny at times, and that comes off as smarmy. But I don't begrudge the job he's doing. I'm a happy consumer of the OTB Skins content most of the time.

Argggghhh. I got charged by someone's off leash dog yesterday morning. Normally I just grumble a little about the poop and the chewed up tennis balls but this made me kinda pissed.
Way too much can go wrong. For example a lot of people bring dogs that are highly aggressive rescues, your dog could approach the wrong dog way too easily. And honestly some people are spooked by dogs approaching and it's just rude to do that to them. I take two of my three to the course all the time. They stay leashed. If the area is clear and I have really great line of sight for a ways I'll let them roam. But I always need to be able to grab them up before they can approach anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts