• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How do you use your Zone, Harp, Pig, etc?

I'm a zone guy myself. I carry both a z zone and a soft zone. Z zone for short sub 300' tee shots that need to finish left or right. I will approach with the z zone if I need some skip at the end. My go to approach both back hand and forehand is the soft zone. The soft zone sits and sticks which is nice for an approach disc. The thing I like most with the zone is that its very hard to blow by the basket because of its fade.

Lately the BT soft harp has lost some fade. I'm working in Drone shots, but then when I go back to the Harp, it feels so nice. Just need to throw a little straighter line, or softer touch.

I bag Zones, their main purpose for me is off the tee, anything for an overstable drive, even flex shots 220 and in.

What I've truly come to love them for though is tricky situations. I can throw forehand anny flex upshots, and 9/10 times they will end up within the bullseye. I've had more throw ins from 100-120 feet with a Zone than any other disc.

If its a tighter tunnel or something I need a bit more touch on ill just pull out one of my putters, though.

Zones are my primarily FH approach disc but I will use them BH if I need a skip, or a shot under 225' that has to stay hyzer. If I'm between 100-175, and I have the room I'm throwing a Zone (current thrower is a GF but have used Z and ESP in the past) FH on a slight hyzer and hoping for a bit of skippage.

Shark in Star knowing it will be more like a Pig in OS not glide when approaching 37-40 feet to about 75-80 feet. 90 and beyond the mold is like a putter floating glide in a Shark 3/Lion type midrange flight.

The Disc I did use in this spot before was a G9I approach Wizard and it only worked at 40-50 feet only that specific distance so mold never stayed in the bag.

Ha, I just made a thread asking for recs for the exact same slot. Personally I'm quite fond of the Yikun Crossbow. 4/1.5/0.5/4. That thing has no glide at all, just hooks whichever way I send it then plops down. It's my go-to disc for upshots 50-100ft. Well, it was, before I lost mine. I'm probably just gonna buy another Crossbow but was looking for other options just to see what's out there, so this thread helps me too!

Really I can't sing the praises enough for the Crossbow. Great for flick approaches and just goes exactly where I tell it. Matter of fact I think I just talked myself into buying another one instead of replacing with something else.

I bag a seasoned Ti Zone but can easily replace it with just about any ESP or Z from my too-large stash:
- forehand approaches (probably 75' to 175') - I also make these shots with anything from a Buzzz to a Teebird when necessary
- backhand approaches where I know I need fade (similar distance)
- putts into a decent headwind (15mph or greater)
- downhill shots that need to die quickly (these are not uncommon here in West Virginia, and it's become a decent shot to have in my repertoire)

I bag a Pig; Forehands, Forehand rollers, back hand and forehand short flex shots, spike hyzers and I have even used it as a putter in a stiff wind.

Harp; I traded it off

Zone; Sitting under a potted plant I bring in for the winter

Forehand upshots and drives

I use my Z Zone for flex shots both backhand and forehand 250' and in. Such a trustworthy disc in any wind condition. This is not a disc that you should rely on if you need glide out of a disc. My most accurate shots are a forehand. I put a decent amount of anny on it and throw it just to the right of the basket and it comes out of the flex right at the end of the flight and lands softly. I also like it for backhand with a slight anny angle that i throw much harder than my forehand shots and it stays on a straight line since the anny is cancelling out the stability. It's my go-to gap hitter in the woods.

I have a Zone and its quite fat compared to a Suspect or Rat. They both feel better, even the Pig i have but have never used feel better. The Zone bandwagoning is too strong at this point.

Wysocki 2020 Pig replacing/complimenting my old R-Pro. Mostly just use it for flick approaches under 150' where I want a soft landing. Honestly it overlaps with my star Gator for shorter sidearms but the Gator is a much more versatile disc. My old Pig is great for backhand off the tee on shorter holes but I can't flick it worth a damn.

I have a Zone and its quite fat compared to a Suspect or Rat. They both feel better, even the Pig i have but have never used feel better. The Zone bandwagoning is too strong at this point.

Dang, I'm gonna have to quit throwing my Zones after 4+ years since the bandwagon is too strong.

Harp for pretty much any hyzer shot 200ft in. If I need a bit more fade, I throw the Pig.

Latest posts