• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How do you use your Zone, Harp, Pig, etc?

TheSecondZ

Bogey Member
I've heard a lot of people swear by their Zones, Harps, Pigs, etc. for approach shots, but I can never seem to make them work well for me. I think I just visualize straighter upshots, so I much prefer using a Luna or Proxy. Envy for a little overstability if there's a headwind.

My question is, how do people use their overstable approach discs? When I use it, it just always fades out early, or I have to start it out to the side more than I want.

I bag a Z Zone, and I use it mainly on short tee shots. Anything 200'-275' or so. The Zone is so overstable and glideless I don't really try to push it out very far. Anything over 275' I'll use the Roc3 instead.

I seldom use it for approaches unless my tee shot is lousy and I'm far away from the hole.

The main reason I like the Zone is that I can absolutely rip on it without worrying about it drifting right. It also lands softly and sticks.

I use a TourZ Zone for overstable approaches anywhere 150 and in, especially if I have a lot of space to the right of the basket so I can work a hyzer into the basket. I aim right and in front of the basket, and the zone will softly skip up to within 10 feet of the basket. I also have a mega-soft harp that flies the exact same, but with the mega-soft harp, I aim to the right and same distance as the basket, that way it just sticks where it lands without any ground play whatsoever. Great for greens that are sloped.

I bag a Z Zone, and I use it mainly on short tee shots. Anything 200'-275' or so. The Zone is so overstable and glideless I don't really try to push it out very far. Anything over 275' I'll use the Roc3 instead.

I seldom use it for approaches unless my tee shot is lousy and I'm far away from the hole.

The main reason I like the Zone is that I can absolutely rip on it without worrying about it drifting right. It also lands softly and sticks.

I think maybe the problem is I mostly use the Zone for 100'-200' approaches, so it doesn't get up to speed and just fades too fast. Except for 250' and over, I'd rather just use an overstable mid-range with more glide, or put something like an Envy on hyzer angle.

Spike hyzers, mild flex lines, straight forehands and nose up stall shots. Harps are what I use, could easily be Zones but both are awesome.

I think maybe the problem is I mostly use the Zone for 100'-200' approaches, so it doesn't get up to speed and just fades too fast. Except for 250' and over, I'd rather just use an overstable mid-range with more glide, or put something like an Envy on hyzer angle.

The Zone is perhaps the hardest fading mid/putter I've ever seen. I find that if I don't put enough oomph on it the disc will die out well short of where I want it. You have to throw the thing surprisingly hard if you want it to flatten out at all.

I use a Zone primarily for approaches and short drives. If I am throwing a Zone, I am usually aiming to layup. I am aiming to the right and in front of the basket, looking to play it's natural fade and nestle it in around the pole.

If I am running the basket, I am rarely using a Zone unless I have a strong headwind. To run the basket I used the BB Omega ET or AP regardless of distance.

Just anny release the zone if you want it to fly a little farther. It's great for carving out complicated lines in tight wooded fairways with flex shots.

A guy I know at a local course flexes his zones for his most consistent 280-300 foot shot.

I use my Zone pretty much exclusively for forehands, both drives and approaches. They fly pretty far for a putter so adding a Zone to the bag pretty much eliminated any need for a midrange to forehand. Anything I can't reach with a Zone I'll disc up to a beat in Sexton Firebird.

New Zones are great for both hyzers and flex shots, and a beat in one will fly reliably straight without flipping over.

Last edited:
Zone's are used for Zone things.

I use my Zone for forehand approaches primarily. Also useful on backhand approaches into a headwind (due to its HSS) or crosswind (due to its puddletop and low glide). I will also use it for overstable short drives and for spike hyzers.

The Zone is perhaps the hardest fading mid/putter I've ever seen. I find that if I don't put enough oomph on it the disc will die out well short of where I want it. You have to throw the thing surprisingly hard if you want it to flatten out at all.

Does it fade hard and die out short of 150ft? I'm looking at getting one and want it for those type of approaches

At least for backhand, I feel like you REALLY have to trust discs like that. You have to throw way harder than what feels natural to not end up short and left. I struggle with that and am way more consistent with a soft hyzer with a Judge (or even a Roc).

What I CAN do with them that I can't do with a less stable disc is throw a force over to the left and around something and have it fade back to the basket. The other thing that I can do is throw a forehand on a steep anny angle to get out of tight spaces and trust the disc flatten out before it gets to the ground.

At least for backhand, I feel like you REALLY have to trust discs like that. You have to throw way harder than what feels natural to not end up short and left. I struggle with that and am way more consistent with a soft hyzer with a Judge (or even a Roc).

What I CAN do with them that I can't do with a less stable disc is throw a force over to the left and around something and have it fade back to the basket. The other thing that I can do is throw a forehand on a steep anny angle to get out of tight spaces and trust the disc flatten out before it gets to the ground.

Agree. I find that if I don't put a good rip on the Zone it'll die off well short and left of the target.

I won't hesitate to grab the Roc3 if I don't feel I can get there with the Zone.

Short flex lines and when I need to get around something.

I love the Envy, and do throw it on a lot of shots others might throw a zone by adjusting the amount of hyzer. I feel like I have more control with an Envy especially for longer throws. But it doesn't fade nearly as much and get as much lateral movement, so there are some things i just can't do with it.

The zone is also much more reliable than an envy for an overstable forehand shot because my forehand isn't good.